carry in theatre? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carry in theatre?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
As a California resident I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I'll chime in anyhow.

Too much emphasis is being put on what you all would, will and do do, and very little on what all of you should do. If a theater or other place of business has a no guns sign then write a letter to the manager telling them you will not be visiting their place of business and why you won't. If you have time then picket the place (open carry while doing so out in front is optional). Saying nothing does nothing. Vote with your wallet but don't lose your voice when you do.
Exactly.....
Old 11-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #32

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Always carry when possible

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I work at the lake city army ammunition plant, if I get caught carrying there my gun becomes property of the us government and I get in BIG trouble. I carry everywhere else. If out is discovered that I am carrying asked to leave an establishment I will do so peacefully. But here you only get in trouble legally if you refuse to leave when asked.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #34

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

The right answer- know the laws and obey them.
My answer- if you carry concealed no one knows you have it.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #35

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

An understanding of the laws and common sense should always prevail. This way you can make an informed and calculated decision. If you are going into a government center, airport, etc. then obviously you will be detected even if you are fully concealed. Common sense....don't carry there. A movie theatre however is not screening people with metal detectors (at least not now) as they come in so if you are going to carry do it so you can come and go without anyone noticing. Just enjoy the movie, fill up on popcorn and worry more about ticket prices than a situation that would call for pulling the gun.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

It depends on when and where. In South Carolina, where I live, if no sign is posted, it's OK to carry concealed in a theater. If a proper sign is posted saying no guns, it is a felony with 5 years mandatory prison time if you carry in there. And in SC, the laws are strictly (and abusively) enforced. But the idea of carrying in such a place as long as it's concealed is an invitation to disaster. If nothing happens, you didn't need the gun, so you could have left it outside. If the SHTF while you are carrying in there, you have to choose whether you want to be a "hero" and "save the day", after which you WILL get 5 years and lose your gun rights forever, or just sit there and feel guilty (or dead) thereafter.
Maybe the best course of action would be to just go to a different theater.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 11-12-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling snafu

Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 550 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 229

For all those saying they leave when asked or anyone who is interested in educating otherwise ignorant store owners, check out this link to these cards that you can print off. NOTE: some o the wording might have to be changed to match your individual state laws.

http://paopencarry.org/no-guns-no-money-cards

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 476 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
For all those saying they leave when asked or anyone who is interested in educating otherwise ignorant store owners, check out this link to these cards that you can print off. NOTE: some o the wording might have to be changed to match your individual state laws.

http://paopencarry.org/no-guns-no-money-cards

People have the right not to want you to carry a firearm on their property just like you have to carry one. If you don't like it don't go unto their property. What makes you think you are right and they are wrong. ?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 550 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
People have the right not to want you to carry a firearm on their property just like you have to carry one. If you don't like it don't go unto their property. What makes you think you are right and they are wrong. ?
I completely understand that and respect their right. However, many people make decisions based on poor information. This is just a simple way of trying to inform them of your beliefs and trying to persuade them to your way of thinking.

And before anyone gets pissed off about the above think about this. We as Americans and as humans in general do this all day every day. Then media does it. I'm sure you have used the same tactics on your family. Probably every job anybody holds has some part where you have to present information to someone in a position of power and try to convince them to change their minds to your way of thinking. This is how the world works and that's what the cards are suppose to do. Peacefully allow a way to provide a stance and information to a store owner in the hopes that they will consider your position. If they don't then leave and take your money elsewhere or respect their wishes and leave your gun in the car.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #40

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Those of us who carry are, to a very high degree, law-abiding people. We make the choice to carry knowing that very activity is a minefield of confusing and sometimes irrational laws.

For example, until a year or so ago, Georgia had a stipulation against carrying at "public gatherings." The definition of a public gathering was very nebulous, frequently interpreted differently by various law enforcement agencies. You could carry into a mall, but if there were a Christmas carolling presentation taking place, now you're at a public gathering.

Movie theaters were also considered a public gathering by some sheriff's departments, and not by others. It just depended on the way the wind blew the particular day you might be confronted while carrying. Thankfully, that horrendous language was eliminated by the General Assembly and now Georgia has some of the most rational gun laws of any state. More work to do on that front, however.

The point is that there is not a cookie-cutter answer that applies to any given situation. Frequently law enforcement is not even up to date on changes that may have taken place in the latest legislative session. My advice is to get as familiar as you can with your state's laws and apply your best judgement when confronted with making those difficult decisions. Carrying concealed also goes a long way in avoiding those potentially contentious situations.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation