carry in theatre? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

carry in theatre?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It appears to be the general consensus that you legally conceal carry while attending a movie. And if asked to leave then you should leave and take your business elsewhere. I'm guessing that's not going to happen much because of the nature of it being concealed. I don't think it would be prudent to openly carry a weapon into a theater. If it's posted you have to make a conscious decision based on the laws in your state. Of course this is all in my opinion

Paralyzed from the Neck down but still dream of shooting

Old 11-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #22

Liked 9212 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82

No...those signs are to satisfy the liberal patrons that things are safe in that particuler business. They can now feel content that while watching the movie there will be no harm come to them. They feel good that their local theatre is run by responsible management who can make strong decisions on the customers behalf.
But then there's that fatal flaw in their plan... The flaw that criminals don't generally obey rules and laws, that's that condition that makes them criminals. And by my own reasoning, I'm a criminal too, because I refuse to be denied the right to defend myself, particularly as others have mentioned before, where there are no metal detectors or armed security keeping me safe. The honor system didn't work in Colorado, and generally doesn't work with other people hell bent on destroying innocent lives, because, hello... They HAVE NO honor.

Personally, I think gun free zones should be outlawed across the country, even in private businesses that are OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, with the stipulation that you have to leave if asked to because you're packing. If you have to pay a membership fee, or if measures are taken (see above) to ensure a private citizen's security, different story, abide by the posted rules.

Because, after all, the ENTIRE COUNTRY has outlawed murder. So by liberal logic, it shouldn't happen, because it's against the law, right? But it does, so it should be against the law to deny law abiding citizens the right and means to protect themselves while no one else will, in a PUBLIC SETTING. Oh wait, it is... "shall not be infringed"...

They only get away with it because these places are privately owned and operated...

But providing armed security and detectors will drive up the cost of admission to the movies... So let me provide my own security, or pay that premium. Because, IMHO, no price is too high to save your life. You can always choose NOT to go.

Until the measures are applied, and movie tickets cost the same as concert tickets because of the added expense, I've already paid a one time fee of $640 bucks (the cost of my 1911) to keep my person and my family safe from harm, not to mention the extensive training I've received courtesy of the US Marine Corps in situational awareness, marksmanship, and stress firing.

Still, I urge everyone to do as I say and not as I do. Obey your local laws. I take my own chances with my own freedoms, and it's my choice to make.

(sorry for the all caps, I'm not yelling or trying to convey an attitude, I just can't italicize from my phone)

Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #23

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

In my opinion a theater is no different than any other public place, carry if its legal, don't if its not and take your business somewhere else. Just because a shooting recently took place in one doesn't enfluence my decision not too, actually it does quite the opposite and proves the need for it.

My local theater is also a place I rutinely open carry. Why? Because I can and just because a shooting occurred at one also doesn't mean I can't open carry there. Public shootings have occured at many different places of business and a movie theater is no different. I've never had any issues with open carrying anywhere, no one has ever said anything or even acted like they noticed.

Honostly, I carry everywhere, even if its posted I can't because I refuse to be a victim. If there's no police, or trained security onsite then I'm my own protector.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 11-11-2012 at 08:27 PM.
coconceal Likes This 
Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #24

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

These topics come up a lot. It is my understanding from the laws that a "We Ban Guns" sign is not a legal sign. It would fall under a trespass law if the theatre manager/owner asked you to depart with your firearm.

Now...lets use logic as it relates to carry. No one should know you are carrying. You should come and go without incident because you blend in....thats the point. If a life threatening emergy were to come up like Colorado theatre then all bets on laws are off....you are now in a life saving mode / survival mode and even if it wasn't 100% legal....if I saved my family or the person I was with at the theatre it would have been worth it.

If you are going to go out of your way....make it to conceal your weapon. Even bad guys don't like surprises.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike
These topics come up a lot. It is my understanding from the laws that a "We Ban Guns" sign is not a legal sign. It would fall under a trespass law if the theatre manager/owner asked you to depart with your firearm.
Careful now, that depends on the state. As I mentioned, in some places, a sign handwritten in crayon or even dog doo doo carries the full weight of law. In others, they have very strict regulations, such as : lettering must be certain height, certain color on certain background, certain height from ground, and certain distance from entrance into buildings for it to have ANY weight.

By my own admission, I'm a law breaker occasionally. I like to know which laws I'm breaking, and where.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 845 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
In some states even a handwritten sign in crayon Carries the weight of law. In some states NO gfz sign Carries any weight at all.

Me? They can all kiss my ass. Those signs are meant for the wackos that want to go on a mass killing spree, they don't apply to me, the vet who's fought for freedom and now simply wants to enjoy a nice evening out and about for dinner and a movie.

I've said before, I'll say again, my actions are not always legal. I never recommend or condone anyone breaking the law. But I admit I do it all the time.
I think as people respect your right to carry a firearm. People should someone's right not to want a firearm on their property.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta

I think as people respect your right to carry a firearm. People should someone's right not to want a firearm on their property.
You should read my later comments on this. My key is "open to the public", and a person should "leave if asked" if they're caught packing.

And this is all my personal opinion that I've written. And by all means, I would respect the owner's wishes concerning a privately owned property not open to the public, such as someone's home. I wouldn't expect crazed lunatic to try and carry out a mass murder at my buddy's Veteran's day barbeque in his backyard. Luckily, because of human nature, I socialize with like minded individuals.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #28

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Careful now, that depends on the state. As I mentioned, in some places, a sign handwritten in crayon or even dog doo doo carries the full weight of law. In others, they have very strict regulations, such as : lettering must be certain height, certain color on certain background, certain height from ground, and certain distance from entrance into buildings for it to have ANY weight.

By my own admission, I'm a law breaker occasionally. I like to know which laws I'm breaking, and where.
True....should have clarified. However....and this is where things get a bit subjective...the point of carry (IMHO) is as a protection policy/insurance for a life threatening situation. As long as that life threatening situation does not exist life should carry on in its abnormal dysfunctional way. If the SHTF in my own little world and my or my familes life was in jeapordy then I would be willing to manage through the "laws" that come with the aftermath. Personal choice, but bad guys don't care about signs and laws.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #29

Oh yeah, I feel much the same. I would suffer the consequences before suffering death of myself or a loved one.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

As a California resident I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I'll chime in anyhow.

Too much emphasis is being put on what you all would, will and do do, and very little on what all of you should do. If a theater or other place of business has a no guns sign then write a letter to the manager telling them you will not be visiting their place of business and why you won't. If you have time then picket the place (open carry while doing so out in front is optional). Saying nothing does nothing. Vote with your wallet but don't lose your voice when you do.
trip286 Likes This