carry with round in the chamber? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carry with round in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

To put it simply "You do as you train". If you carry both Con 1 and at times 2 you are putting yourself at a distinct disadvantage if you are attacked!!! In my younger days I did the same thing, but I learned not to do this from a very enlightening experience!!!
You will have to 'think' about which method you are using 'at that time' before you REACT!!! If you are reacting to a tactical situation you are not directly involved in you will not have a problem as you will have time to 'think', BUT if you are under direct attack and you have to 'think' before you act it could cost you dearly!!!!
That is why I teach only 'draw and fire' if possible from the same place (holster type and location) and with a gun that requires nothing more than a 'trigger pull'!
Respectfully disagree.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #82

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You really have to know your gun. The lore has it that cowboys carried hammer down on an empty cylindar since the hammer made direct contact with the primer in an old Peacemaker. A new Ruger Vaquero has a transfer bar system making that unnecessary. Colt added a firing pin blocking sytem in the system 80 to make them safer than the older system 70s (though harder to assemble). Some recent 1911s have gone to titanium firing pins to maker them safer with a shell in the chamber. Read your manual.....doc

2012-08-28_12-26-15_343.jpg  

Old 11-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #83

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

Always have one in the chamber.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #84
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
Respectfully disagree.
Just a guess, but I would bet you are less than 50 years old!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #85

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

Just a guess, but I would bet you are less than 50 years old!
Bless you my child.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:32 AM   #86

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

If you can't trust yourself to carry in condition 1, then you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun. If you can't trust your gun, you need to find a different gun.

I always carry in condition 1. Carrying in condition 2 is pointless and will most likely get you killed.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #87
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1207 Posts
Likes Given: 806

I carry with one in the chamber always.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
JimRau Likes This 
Old 11-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #88

Liked 2555 Times on 1456 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

I used to only sharpen my knives right before I

needed them, but that didn't work out so well...

Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #89
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2055 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 2240

Did you ever have one of those sloped forehead experiences? You know, when you hit yourself in the forehead thinking, "Duh! Why didn't I think of that?"

My son has a Taurus PT92 (Beretta 92 knockoff). It is a DA/SA semi-auto. He carries it with a round in the chamber, but de-cocked with the safety engaged. That sounds like a condition 1 and a half to me, but I am a relatively new shooter, so I'm not sure how that gets classified.

The gun is in a half-cocked condition with a manual safety in the holster. The gun is ready to fire after releasing the manual safety and pulling something north of about 10 lb trigger pressure. There's a manual safety and a heavy pull between you and an "accidental" discharge. So, there's a bit of deliberate action in two different areas of the gun before it will actually discharge. Hard to imagine both of these happening "accidentally".

That seems to fall somewhere between condition 1 and condition 2 to me. Just curious, how does chambered/decocked/double action get classified?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 AM   #90

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Almost like the old saying cocked and locked