Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carry with round in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshoot91

Trigger snagged?
What type of pistol do you carry?
I could easily see a trigger snagging on clothing and going off, if not holstered or safety used.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #72
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1646 Times on 1004 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Quote. Carrying an empty gun will get you hurt. You should leave the gun at home and carry a cell phone. That way you can call the police and tell them who shot you.

Carry what ever way you want. Comments like the one above and similar ones i have seen just don't make sense. If you carry in con 2 it will take around i second extra to get the gun ready that hardly makes it useless. I know if i had to go against someone with a gun i would rather have one in con 2 than no gun.

Solders have sometimes their firearm unloaded or in con 2 would they be better just leaving there firearm at home.
And I'd rather have one in con 1 than con 2. That one second is one second that the bad guy does NOT deserve to have for free.

And it's only 1 second extra if you remember to rack the slide. But under stress you can forget your carry strategy.

Draw, pull trigger, no bang, think Dang what's wrong, click off manual safety, pull trigger again, no bang, think Dang Dang Dang, oh yeah, rack the slide, pull trigger again, BANG. Does that sound like 1 second? Sounds more like enough time for the bad guy to walk up and slice you in half.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by Balota; 11-09-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #73

Liked 279 Times on 243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
And I'd rather have one in con 1 than con 2. That one second is one second that the bad guy does NOT deserve to have for free.

And it's only 1 second extra if you remember to rack the slide. But under stress you can forget your carry strategy.

Draw, pull trigger, no bang, think Dang what's wrong, click off manual safety, pull trigger again, no bang, think Dang Dang Dang, oh yeah, rack the slide, pull trigger again, BANG. Does that sound like 1 second? Sounds more like enough time for the bad guy to walk up and slice you in half.
If you always carry condition 2 and practice that way there will be no dang, only bang. I carry only condition 2. I trust the strength of even a weak firingpin spring more than I do the stiffest safety.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #74

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A quality handgun carried in a proper holster designed for that weapon is perfectly safe to carry with one in the pipe. As long as gun safety rules are followed and the handgun is in good working order, you are perfectly safe to carry in condition one - regardless of whether the weapon is striker- or hammer-fired, external safety or not.

If you experience an ND while carrying your handgun with one in the pipe, it is far, far more likely that you broke one or more gun safety rules (or used a cheap-a** holster) than the weapon failed in some way and misfired on its own.

"We're the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad."
Pres. Barack Hussein Obama

''In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died - an entire town destroyed.''
Pres. Barack Hussein Obama commenting on Kansas tornado that killed 12 people.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #75

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I favor condition one and condition two depending on the weapon I carry. When I carry Glock, it is Israeli military style, OWB, Fobus holster. That is condition two. If you use the right holster and practice frequently, you can draw and rack in one smooth motion. It takes a fraction of a second longer, but that's my preference with this weapon. With my M&P, it is condition one. I keep the thumb safety engaged because I replaced the stock trigger with a much more efficient one measuring 3lbs@ break. The mouse gun and revolvers stay condition one at all times. So for me, it boils down to personal safety preference and is dependent on the unique characteristics of the individual firearm combined with your level of skill. I am proficient from the draw with all my weapons and categorically take issue with the "all or none" position represented by some on his thread.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #76

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
or maybe they just don't want to hurt themselves or others by accident?

again, i personally know someone who dropped a chambered firearm & it went off....he certainly chamber it it anymore.
What kind of pistol was this? Most pistols made are designed to not do just what you described. And would carrying a loaded revolver not be a bunch of loaded chambers?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #77
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1646 Times on 1004 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
If you always carry condition 2 and practice that way there will be no dang, only bang. I carry only condition 2. I trust the strength of even a weak firingpin spring more than I do the stiffest safety.
To each his own. I prefer condition 1.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 11-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #78

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you're going to carry a pistol as opposed to a revolver then it would make sense to have a round in the chamber. Why would you want to have to fiddle with racking the slide in a moment of desperate need? Split seconds can mean the difference between life and death. Then you have to ask yourself do you have the safety on or off?? LOL.

Paralyzed from the Neck down but still dream of shooting

Old 11-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #79
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
I favor condition one and condition two depending on the weapon I carry. When I carry Glock, it is Israeli military style, OWB, Fobus holster. That is condition two. If you use the right holster and practice frequently, you can draw and rack in one smooth motion. It takes a fraction of a second longer, but that's my preference with this weapon. With my M&P, it is condition one. I keep the thumb safety engaged because I replaced the stock trigger with a much more efficient one measuring 3lbs@ break. The mouse gun and revolvers stay condition one at all times. So for me, it boils down to personal safety preference and is dependent on the unique characteristics of the individual firearm combined with your level of skill. I am proficient from the draw with all my weapons and categorically take issue with the "all or none" position represented by some on his thread.
To put it simply "You do as you train". If you carry both Con 1 and at times 2 you are putting yourself at a distinct disadvantage if you are attacked!!! In my younger days I did the same thing, but I learned not to do this from a very enlightening experience!!!
You will have to 'think' about which method you are using 'at that time' before you REACT!!! If you are reacting to a tactical situation you are not directly involved in you will not have a problem as you will have time to 'think', BUT if you are under direct attack and you have to 'think' before you act it could cost you dearly!!!!
That is why I teach only 'draw and fire' if possible from the same place (holster type and location) and with a gun that requires nothing more than a 'trigger pull'!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 11-11-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:59 PM   #80

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV

I agree, but a well trained handgunner should be able to chamber his auto with one hand, by bending the knee and placing the gun down behind it and work the action.
What ya gonna do if you are in a gun fight and your hand gets shot up and you have to clear a stove pipe or something? How are you going to work the slide when you need to do a second magazine? Just don't practice this in shorts!
You can also use your belt holding up your pants, etc
Im just sayin'
That is true, but it takes more time, more time can cost your life. Plus if you're grabbed through the window of a car and have to draw your weapon are you gonna be able to bend your leg enough while sitting behind the wheel to chamber a round?

Also, I count my rounds as I fire. If my mag holds 8 rounds I fire 7 leaving the last one in the pipe, switch mags and keep firing. You don't have to work the slide that way and you're weapon is never actually empty.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380