carry with round in the chamber? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carry with round in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

If you don't carry with a round in the chamber, leave the gun at home in the safe because that is about as useful as it will be otherwise. If you have to go into action, you don't need to be thinking about racking the slide. Go with the adage we all grew up with. Treat every gun as if it were loaded and keep it loaded. The problem is taking the gun off and unloading it in everybodies presence. And for the home environment, the same goes for home defense...and unloaded gun is useless. Keeping it in a safe away from children is bad enough but in a crisis, running to the safe for the gun and all the stuff that follows is bad enough. I don't have kids, and don't have any over....yet(grandkid on the way so I'll have to make some changes) so I either wear it or it it sitting beside the tv remote. And it is never unloaded unless it is being cleaned.

My $.02

Richard, SFC USA(Ret)
SA 1911A1 .45, Ruger Mark II Target .22

Old 11-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #62
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1924 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
this is a very interesting question to me.

i am (slowly) becoming interested in a concealed carry. but i think i am absolutely convinced i would not want to carry one in the chamber.

what are my best options if this is my position? i know an auto would be a bad idea, would a revolver work better?

i had a friend who carried one in the chamber, dropped his pistol, and it went off shooting through the front door...yeah, it happens.

serious safety issues imo.
I have just one question: What the heck was he doing dropping his pistol?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #63

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
Thank you!!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #64

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
EZ to answer---Being a dumazz

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #65

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
i am (slowly) becoming interested in a concealed carry. but i think i am absolutely convinced i would not want to carry one in the chamber.
I honestly believe you should rethink this idea. It is just not necessary with modern handguns and could be a critical problem in a sudden life or death self defense situation.

Quote:
i had a friend who carried one in the chamber, dropped his pistol, and it went off shooting through the front door...yeah, it happens.
If this actually happened your friend either had a very old gun or it was already broken. Modern handguns (semiauto or revolver) simply do not go off when dropped.

Quote:
serious safety issues imo.
No really.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #66

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes cocked and locked in a GOOD holster.When my dog barks at night and I grab my pistol my wife ask why do you always grab your gun?? I tell her I would rather have my pistol and not need it than need it and not have it!!! A unloaded gun or one in the house is useless.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #67

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
That's a big negative. I always follow safety protocol. My dad just thinks that one bad shake will make the round in the chamber go off, or the trigger will get snagged, etc. Etc.
Trigger snagged?
What type of pistol do you carry?

"I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just and that his justice cannot sleep forever."--Thomas Jefferson

“To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add
the more distinguished character of Christian.” --George Washington

"If we make peaceful revolution impossible, we make violent revolution inevitable." --John F. Kennedy

Old 11-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #68

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

I carry an lc9. My dad is old cushioned

Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 411 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote. Carrying an empty gun will get you hurt. You should leave the gun at home and carry a cell phone. That way you can call the police and tell them who shot you.

Carry what ever way you want. Comments like the one above and similar ones i have seen just don't make sense. If you carry in con 2 it will take around i second extra to get the gun ready that hardly makes it useless. I know if i had to go against someone with a gun i would rather have one in con 2 than no gun.

Solders have sometimes their firearm unloaded or in con 2 would they be better just leaving there firearm at home.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #70
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1750 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 5303

Default But ... What does the manual say?

So, I went to the Ruger website and brought up the LC9 Instruction/Operating Manual. Ha..... Probably against some peoples rules, but I love manuals.

Here I find our answer for the OP's gun.. Instruction Manual for Ruger LC9.(1)

It is meant to be carried with one in the chamber and the manual safety engaged.

Like the 1911 pistols, the manual safety lever locks the slide
shut, ensuring that the pistol will be ready to fire when the safety is disengaged.

It continues

To disengage the manual safety, point the pistol in a safe direction and push
the safety lever fully downward. The red oval signifies that the safety is disengaged and the pistol is ready to fire.

Additionally, the pistol has a separate firing pin block which will not allow the firing
pin to move forward and contact the cartridge until the operator pulls the trigger
with the safety off (in its “fire” position).
The safety should be in its “safe” position at all times except when the user is
deliberately positioned to fire at a selected target. When the safety is in the “fire”
position (safety lever down) the red oval is exposed just above the safety lever
(1) Instruction Manual for Ruger LC9, page 13
https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/lc9.pdf

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL