carry with round in the chamber? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carry with round in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 03:15 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
this is a very interesting question to me.

i am (slowly) becoming interested in a concealed carry. but i think i am absolutely convinced i would not want to carry one in the chamber.

what are my best options if this is my position? i know an auto would be a bad idea, would a revolver work better?

i had a friend who carried one in the chamber, dropped his pistol, and it went off shooting through the front door...yeah, it happens.

serious safety issues imo.
As far as I know, with a revolver, every round is chambered, as each of the cylinders are chambers, they just rotate up to meet the barrel, and one is always lined up. So if you wanted to carry unchambered you'd have to leave one of the six or so cylinders empty and that one oriented with the barrel during carry with hammer down. If my logistics are right.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #52

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

There is absolutely no reason to carry an unloaded pistol if you CCW. If you find yourself worrying about it so much that you carry without a round in the pipe you need to address a few issues.
#1 why are you carrying to begin with? When the feces hits the fan it goes fast. There will be no time for anything else but to draw and shoot. You can not call time out and load your pistol.
The bad guy isn't going to wait for you to fumble
with the slide. Trust me when I say this. When it happens it happens with a quickness their will not be time for anything else. Your mind will be racing.
#2 are you carrying unloaded because you lack confidence in your pistol? If this is the case then get another pistol you do feel comfortable with and take a hand gun self defense class. You have to practice practice practice. When you feel confident with your pistol then practice some more.
#3 are you carrying unloaded because you lack confidence in your holster? If the answer is yes then go buy another that fits your gun, you and where your carrying it (i.e. ankle, shoulder, s.o.b. hip etc) Don't fall victim to buying crap holsters cause it's the latest and greatest, its cool looking or because they printed "tactical" all over it.
Some may say .. " I carry my pistol unloaded because it's dangerous'. No kidding, guns are supposed to be dangerous they are designed to end a life. It comes down to responsibility and confidence in you, your gear and your pistol. Sorry about the rant just putting my $0.2 in. Oh and I do have experience in some of these matters. Im a combat veteran/purple heart recipient with the Marine Corps. I say that only because I don't want people to think Im pulling this out of my @$$ and thinking I watched to many action movies or something. I hope this didn't come off as cocky or arrogant or anything. I don't want to hear or see any one get hurt or killed who was trying to do the right thing but failed because or poor advise

Be careful out there my fellow gun owners.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #53

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjuspsa
If you are carrying a quality firearm, designed and engineered for ccw, trained correctly and practice as if your life depends upon it, AD's just don't happen.
Amen brother
Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #54

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
QFT. When I got my permit, the first thing my dad told me was: "If you feel the need to carry, make suer that the weapon is fully loaded. With your revolver, load all six. It has a transfer bar for a reason. With the 1911, cocked, locked, and ready to rock is the only way you should carry it. Having to opperate the slide under stress could get you killed."

Considering that this advice came from a retired USMC Master SGT who signed up in 1969, I took those words to heart. The only time that any gun I have is unloaded in both the magazine and the pipe is when it is not under my control, or on my person. Usually, at that point it is in the safe.
I got very similar advice form a man that went through WWII and Korea. Figured he had a real good idea about things like that....

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #55

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy

or maybe they just don't want to hurt themselves or others by accident?

again, i personally know someone who dropped a chambered firearm & it went off....he certainly chamber it it anymore.
its just my opinion, but if a person is that scared of their firearm and their ability to use it correctly and safely, they shouldnt carry one.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

People Like This 
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #56

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
its just my opinion, but if a person is that scared of their firearm and their ability to use it correctly and safely, they shouldnt carry one.
THERES your AMEN

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #57

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Amen yet again

Old 11-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #58

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The way I read the original post, I imagined a guy taking out the mag and 'unloading' into the linolium

Carrying with one in the chamber is a must. To many bad guys out there.
Most of them are faster than me!!

THE MENACE

Old 11-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #59

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I SAFELY remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!

Racking a round to battery can be done in a heartbeat..........more than likely, your last heartbeat!

If you are afraid of the gun you carry, maybe it's best you don't carry!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
Balota Likes This 
Old 11-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #60

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
this is a very interesting question to me.

i am (slowly) becoming interested in a concealed carry. but i think i am absolutely convinced i would not want to carry one in the chamber.

what are my best options if this is my position? i know an auto would be a bad idea, would a revolver work better?

i had a friend who carried one in the chamber, dropped his pistol, and it went off shooting through the front door...yeah, it happens.

serious safety issues imo.
If that is how you feel, don't bother with concealed carry. You have heard from some people here with actual combat experience, you should heed their advice. Your friend dropping his pistol and having it go off is not a valid example of why someone should not carry in condition 1. What brand of gun was it? Was it in 100% working order? Was the safety on? Quality firearms in good working order do not just go off because they are dropped. Think about a revolver for a second, they always have one in the chamber (unless you load up a single action with 5 shots). There is not really any functional difference between a double action revolver and double action semi auto.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books