Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carry with round in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #121
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1236 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 666

If you carry a glock or a similar hand gun with no ACTIVE safety you MUST always carry it in a holster with the trigger covered if it is in Con 1! I have two friends who found this out the hard way! One has a big scare on his backside, and the other required major reconstruction surgery to his foot! Both have severely damage egos!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #122

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Quote:
mdauben;1028878]While nothing man made is perfect for all practical purposes a Glock will NOT go off when dropped. It has multiple redundant design features to prevent that from occurring. They have undergone extensive testing to prove they don't.

Did you actually see this alleged AD occur or did your friend just tell you about it? No offense but it's much more likely your friend is trying to cover up his own negligence than that a Glock in "perfect working order" went off when dropped.
again, one can make any reason why it might not happen. but when you KNOW it has....it makes all the difference in the world.

my friend who dropped his glock when it went off is like a brother to me. i see no reason for him to lie about it. in fact....he now NEVER carries with a round in the chamber. would this be his behavior if he was lying about it? anyway, i'll take a life long friend's word for what its worth.

i always think of this....they say according to the laws of physics, a bumble bee should not be able to fly....yet there they are....flying.

you can of course believe whatever you want, but i KNOW it can happen.

Quote:
Yes you can and this was common practice with old single action revolvers. However it is simply unnecessary with modern double action revolvers with transfer bars or firing pin blocks. All you are accomplishing is having one less round of ammo in a handgun whose main drawback is its already limited capacity.

If you refuse to trust the proven safety features on modern guns that's your prerogative but most people will tell you it's at best a waste of time and/or capacity to do so and does nothing to make carrying a gun safer.
the vast majority of times a concealed handgun is pulled, it is not fired. the way i see it, if you only have 4/5 shots, you better practice and make them count. i have seen fools drop 15 rounds quickly at targets to miss all of them under pressure.

safety is as important to me as defending myself or family. you really want to face 4/5 of .357? you really think its not enough to get the point across?

all respect for your opinion, of course. i do respect your greater knowledge on the matter considering you do carry. but i think someone can probably carry effectively with one less round myself. so agree to disagree, my friend.

Last edited by hawkguy; 11-30-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #123

Liked 2040 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap View Post
thats because they have it on their hip. i have mine burried in my pants or my jacket. I allways carry condition 3, i am comfortable with it. i am very fast at presenting my weapon and racking the slide. i can rack it with my pants, my shoe, my off hand, either hand. lets just say i can rack it.

i have no issue with one in the pipe. i just do it, i handle my gun too many times a day, and i figure the odds will get me over the years. they sure seem to get alot of people out there carrying with one in the pipe. ADs happen every day, hopefully not bad ones. that is no one gets hurt.

i do not with to argure about the conditoin of carry. i have taken many training classes and i am comfortable with my set up.
good post, in the end....i guess its whatever works for you.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #124
That didn't last long... Flyers during Shero's era!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1434 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
If you carry a glock or a similar hand gun with no ACTIVE safety you MUST always carry it in a holster with the trigger covered if it is in Con 1! I have two friends who found this out the hard way! One has a big scare on his backside, and the other required major reconstruction surgery to his foot! Both have severely damage egos!
To each his own. I prefer to carry C1. I think most modern holsters do cover the trigger guard for exactly this reason. With proper technique, this can be done safely.

And it's not just presenting the gun that creates a risk in this area. Reholstering can create a problem if your shirt gets tangled up with the trigger. My XDm has no manual safety like a 1911 has. When reholstering, a tangle on the trigger combined with pushing the gun down into the holster could cause it to go off. For me the solution is (and will continue to be) dry fire practicing at home and some live practice (IDPA). (Hopefully not live firing on reholstering!!!)

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 3rd FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/3rd-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-12-13-2014-a-98426

Old 11-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #125
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1570 Times on 867 Posts
Likes Given: 4771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
And it's not just presenting the gun that creates a risk in this area. Reholstering can create a problem if your shirt gets tangled up with the trigger. My XDm has no manual safety like a 1911 has.
You do have a grip safety don't you. Learning to holster the XDm without depressing the grip safety can prevent "Glock Leg"

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/glock-leg-syndrome-77108/index3.html#post1028561

Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #126

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I cc a full sized 1911 in .45acp daily with a round in the chamber, cocked n locked. Also carry it in a level 2 blackhawk holster on duty and in winter in summer I carry it cocked n locked in a super tuck iwb holster

Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 AM   #127
That didn't last long... Flyers during Shero's era!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1434 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
You do have a grip safety don't you. Learning to holster the XDm without depressing the grip safety can prevent "Glock Leg"

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/glock-leg-syndrome-77108/index3.html#post1028561
Yes. Takes a bit of practice to get the hang of reholstering without pushing with your palm on the butt. I've been focusing on avoiding entanglement. Maybe I also need to adjust grip as you suggest. Thanks for the tip!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 3rd FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/3rd-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-12-13-2014-a-98426