Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carry with round in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #111
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1638 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
With a modern revolver, I don't see the sense of carrying an empty chamber at all. Unless the trigger is completely pulled to the rear, the transfer bar will not be in position. Therefore, there is no way for the hammer to impact the firing pin. And unlike a striker fired pistol, the firing pin of a revolver is not sitting under any tension. The physics are just not there to make it go off under practically any circumstances, except maybe throwing it into a fire.
So THAT's why they call it "firing" a gun ...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 11-27-2012, 05:47 AM   #112

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
glock in perfect working order. and yes, they do go off from being dropped, regardless of whatever logic you're using to claim they don't. i saw the hole through the door and in a car bumper. scared my friend senseless....it could have been worse though.
While nothing man made is perfect for all practical purposes a Glock will NOT go off when dropped. It has multiple redundant design features to prevent that from occurring. They have undergone extensive testing to prove they don't.

Did you actually see this alleged AD occur or did your friend just tell you about it? No offense but it's much more likely your friend is trying to cover up his own negligence than that a Glock in "perfect working order" went off when dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy
i assumed, though i may be wrong, that you could leave a chamber empty on a revolver and just pull the trigger fast twice....not much time wasted. correct me if i'm wrong, but revolver's don't require a round to fire to cycle do they?
Yes you can and this was common practice with old single action revolvers. However it is simply unnecessary with modern double action revolvers with transfer bars or firing pin blocks. All you are accomplishing is having one less round of ammo in a handgun whose main drawback is its already limited capacity.

If you refuse to trust the proven safety features on modern guns that's your prerogative but most people will tell you it's at best a waste of time and/or capacity to do so and does nothing to make carrying a gun safer.

Last edited by mdauben; 11-27-2012 at 05:50 AM.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 AM   #113

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Always have a round in the chamber.

The BG isn't gonna say:

"Time out pal, ill wait until you chamber a round, no worries!"

Old 11-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #114
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 840 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 80

My cw is always "safety wired" in the go position!

JP-USN 20 years retired
Alway keep your six covered

Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #115
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Carry Condition 1 = Squawks Deadly Glock

Carry Condition 3 = Squawks Polymer Rock

Any questions?

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #116

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default cops carry with one

thats because they have it on their hip. i have mine burried in my pants or my jacket. I allways carry condition 3, i am comfortable with it. i am very fast at presenting my weapon and racking the slide. i can rack it with my pants, my shoe, my off hand, either hand. lets just say i can rack it.

i have no issue with one in the pipe. i just do it, i handle my gun too many times a day, and i figure the odds will get me over the years. they sure seem to get alot of people out there carrying with one in the pipe. ADs happen every day, hopefully not bad ones. that is no one gets hurt.

i do not with to argure about the conditoin of carry. i have taken many training classes and i am comfortable with my set up.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #117

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Handicap
thats because they have it on their hip. i have mine burried in my pants or my jacket. I allways carry condition 3, i am comfortable with it. i am very fast at presenting my weapon and racking the slide. i can rack it with my pants, my shoe, my off hand, either hand. lets just say i can rack it.

i have no issue with one in the pipe. i just do it, i handle my gun too many times a day, and i figure the odds will get me over the years. they sure seem to get alot of people out there carrying with one in the pipe. ADs happen every day, hopefully not bad ones. that is no one gets hurt.

i do not with to argure about the conditoin of carry. i have taken many training classes and i am comfortable with my set up.
Amen brother.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #118

Likes Given: 27

Always carry with one in he chamber.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #119

Liked 354 Times on 201 Posts

You guys know what they call a gun not in condition one around Arkansas.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&site=webhp&tbm=isch&source=hp&q=hammer&oq=hammer&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3..0l5.782.2643.0.3742.6.5.0.1.1.0.309.1234.0j1j2j2.5.0.les%3B..0.0...1ac.1.v9cwxY0zPE8&biw=320&bih=387&sei=jA-2UNTlJeHI2wXzxICYDQ#i=4A hammer!

Old 11-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #120
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1080 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Carry Condition 1 = Squawks Deadly Glock

Carry Condition 3 = Squawks Polymer Rock

Any questions?
Umm yeah... what the heck does that mean?

Pithiness requires everyone understands what you're saying.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
KG7IL Likes This