Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carry with round in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

I always carry +1.However carry how ever you want.I train how I carry.I know a guy who carried iwb and none in the pipe but trained to draw and charge one handed with his belt and he was as quick at it as most who just have to draw with one in the pipe.In other words train for how you're gonna carry.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #102

Liked 2646 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 1667

Quote:
If that is how you feel, don't bother with concealed carry.
well, maybe. i was just looking for options here. if you carry a revolver with one chamber empty, couldn't you just pull the trigger twice quickly or work the hammer?

Quote:
You have heard from some people here with actual combat experience, you should heed their advice. Your friend dropping his pistol and having it go off is not a valid example of why someone should not carry in condition 1.
and i appreciate the advice. but i also gave you a very valid reason for not wanting to carry a chambered round, you just wish to ignore or dismiss it.

Quote:
What brand of gun was it? Was it in 100% working order? Was the safety on? Quality firearms in good working order do not just go off because they are dropped.
glock in perfect working order. and yes, they do go off from being dropped, regardless of whatever logic you're using to claim they don't. i saw the hole through the door and in a car bumper. scared my friend senseless....it could have been worse though.

Quote:
Think about a revolver for a second, they always have one in the chamber (unless you load up a single action with 5 shots). There is not really any functional difference between a double action revolver and double action semi auto.
idk, which is why i asked. i assumed, though i may be wrong, that you could leave a chamber empty on a revolver and just pull the trigger fast twice....not much time wasted. correct me if i'm wrong, but revolver's don't require a round to fire to cycle do they?

Old 11-20-2012, 02:45 AM   #103

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I always carry with one in the chamber. I look at it as an unloaded gun if there is not one in the chamber and ready to go.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
I have just one question: What the heck was he doing dropping his pistol?
ummm....an accident? ever dropped anything you don't mean to?

idk, i wasn't there. he told me about it & showed me the door it went through and the car bumper it ended up in.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 AM   #105

Quote:
mdauben;1006401]
If this actually happened your friend either had a very old gun or it was already broken. Modern handguns (semiauto or revolver) simply do not go off when dropped.
nope, it was a glock maybe about 7-8 years ago.

i have to say...this just isn't right, regardless of whatever logic y'all might be using. i might say the same, if i didn't know someone it had happened to.

they obviously, in some instances, CAN go off when dropped.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #106

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Unless that's the likely excuse/story that he made up because that's less embarrassing then saying that he was cleaning it and it went off.
I wasn't there so I don't know. Just a thought.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #107

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Well, if he's like mine was its his way or the hiway
Gotta respect his wishs 'n ways tho long as you're there -
I have to agree with HOSSFLY on this one. You should respect your family home. Other than returning from a hunt I have never unloaded a gun in front of my family. Your father had every right to be upset, even if it was for the wrong reason. It's your families home, not your personal armory. I hope you have a carry permit.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #108

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

Well, if he's like mine was its his way or the hiway
Gotta respect his wishs 'n ways tho long as you're there -
Yep. I agree with Hoss. House rules are house rules. You have to show respect and abide by them.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #109

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
well, maybe. i was just looking for options here. if you carry a revolver with one chamber empty, couldn't you just pull the trigger twice quickly or work the hammer?

If you carry a DA revolver with a MT chamber under the hammer you only have to pull the trigger to shoot- A SA just cock it & shoot---Both those actions will place a bullet "in the ready"-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

buckhuntr Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #110
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2059 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 742

With a modern revolver, I don't see the sense of carrying an empty chamber at all. Unless the trigger is completely pulled to the rear, the transfer bar will not be in position. Therefore, there is no way for the hammer to impact the firing pin. And unlike a striker fired pistol, the firing pin of a revolver is not sitting under any tension. The physics are just not there to make it go off under practically any circumstances, except maybe throwing it into a fire.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA