carry with round in the chamber? - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

carry with round in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Believe me when I say that a half a second can mean life or death. Real life is like like TV where they can rack slides, make a cell call and skid across the hood of a car. Just look at the average distance a handgun encounter takes place. Have someone run at you while you make all the necessary preparations of racking a slide and bringing your weapon up to defend yourself. A bad person can cover a lot more ground in a lot less time than one may think.

I pray that every one of you never have to learn that in the real world. And I pray more that the ones that do make it out OK.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #92

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
Did you ever have one of those sloped forehead experiences? You know, when you hit yourself in the forehead thinking, "Duh! Why didn't I think of that?"

My son has a Taurus PT92 (Beretta 92 knockoff). It is a DA/SA semi-auto. He carries it with a round in the chamber, but de-cocked with the safety engaged. That sounds like a condition 1 and a half to me, but I am a relatively new shooter, so I'm not sure how that gets classified.

The gun is in a half-cocked condition with a manual safety in the holster. The gun is ready to fire after releasing the manual safety and pulling something north of about 10 lb trigger pressure. There's a manual safety and a heavy pull between you and an "accidental" discharge. So, there's a bit of deliberate action in two different areas of the gun before it will actually discharge. Hard to imagine both of these happening "accidentally".

That seems to fall somewhere between condition 1 and condition 2 to me. Just curious, how does chambered/decocked/double action get classified?
That is still condition 1. At least as far as the Marine Corps would be concerned with the M9 (basically the same weapon). As far as I'm aware condition 2 only applied to the revolver used previously by the military. Perhaps it can be applied to the M2 - but normally just called that half-load.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #93

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
Did you ever have one of those sloped forehead experiences? You know, when you hit yourself in the forehead thinking, "Duh! Why didn't I think of that?"

My son has a Taurus PT92 (Beretta 92 knockoff). It is a DA/SA semi-auto. He carries it with a round in the chamber, but de-cocked with the safety engaged. That sounds like a condition 1 and a half to me, but I am a relatively new shooter, so I'm not sure how that gets classified.

The gun is in a half-cocked condition with a manual safety in the holster. The gun is ready to fire after releasing the manual safety and pulling something north of about 10 lb trigger pressure. There's a manual safety and a heavy pull between you and an "accidental" discharge. So, there's a bit of deliberate action in two different areas of the gun before it will actually discharge. Hard to imagine both of these happening "accidentally".

That seems to fall somewhere between condition 1 and condition 2 to me. Just curious, how does chambered/decocked/double action get classified?
Sounds like cocked and locked condition 1 to me.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #94

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
I used to only sharpen my knives right before I

needed them, but that didn't work out so well...
Well said.

Old 11-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #95

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

Sounds like cocked and locked condition 1 to me.
I'm glad that someone agrees with me

Old 11-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #96

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post

Can't verify the actual "readiness condition" but between the

de-cocker and the long trigger pull, I always feel safe carrying a

Balota Likes This 
Old 11-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #97
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3360 Times on 2030 Posts
Likes Given: 3187

I guess I'd buy that being Condition 1. You don't have to rack the slide, it's already chambered. You just pull the trigger (long pull) and you get bang (+/- the manual safety...) Thanks for the education!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #98

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It goes a little beyond that.

An unparalleled safety record with many

police and military organizations, and additional

ease of use.

Since it's a SA/DA, you need only to release the decocker,

and cock the hammer back, to eliminate the heavy trigger pull,

if you have the time, and it can be done with one hand.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #99

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think they would give you less flak if you saved their life because you were prepared. I can't imagine carrying a gun that isn't ready to go. Small motor skills go right out the window in an emergency situation. Asking the criminal to wait while you rack the slide may be your last words....especially if taken by surprise. A gun is a paper weight when not loaded.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #100

Liked 27 Times on 10 Posts

My opinion, you should carry +1. There is no reason not to. Respectfully agree to disagree with your father on this point. As for as you unloading and placing on counter? 1. If carrying is uncomfortable change the way you carry. You should not be uncomfortable. 2. Unless you store your firearm in the kitchen that's the wrong place to retire your weapon. 3. He who pays the bills makes the rules. If your actions make others uncomfortable just don't do it again. It will make things easier for everyone.