carry with round in the chamber?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carry with round in the chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Default carry with round in the chamber?

So I carry with a round in the chamber for various reasons. But unfortunately I made a stupid mistake and took my gun off and unloaded it in my kitchen because id been wearing it for 12 hours and it was just getting uncomfortable. Now I'm getting flak from my family because they find it "unsafe"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 AM   #2

What do y'all think?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 AM   #3
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2240 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 2414

I think I just answered this question in another thread...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 11-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock
Now on a somewhat unrelated note, do u carry with a round in the chamber? I do simply because 1. I want to be up and gunning asap if there's a threat and 2. I want the maximum number of rounds in my gun as possible. Unfortunately my father saw me unload my gun tonight before putting it in my safe and is now giving me a lot of flak because "its not safe"
:End Quote

I may get kicked out of the dad's union for saying this, but dad's wrong on this one. In my opinion, carrying one in the tube is the only sensible way to carry. If you need to use the gun, you will barely have time to draw and fire, much less draw, rack the round, then fire. A gun is a dangerous tool. It's supposed to be dangerous. It's also a tool that can be carried safely by a careful person. The person is what makes the gun safe, not the round that is or is not in the tube.

I carry an XDm which has no manual safety. The gun has a round in the chamber and the striker is set. My safety is between my ears and the lever for the safety is my trigger finger which stays OUTSIDE the trigger guard until the gun is on target. Rigid discipline of the trigger finger is essential no matter what kind of gun you are carrying.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Eturnsdale Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
So I carry with a round in the chamber for various reasons. But unfortunately I made a stupid mistake and took my gun off and unloaded it in my kitchen because id been wearing it for 12 hours and it was just getting uncomfortable. Now I'm getting flak from my family because they find it "unsafe"
Just curious, were they objecting to you carrying with one in the chamber, or were they objecting because you were handling your gun in the kitchen (possibly with them present)?

Balota

AsSeenOnTV Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #6

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

When I first started carrying I did not carry with one in the chamber. When me and ZG talked with our chiropractor and he said that he carried with one in the chamber. Since then I have been carrying +1 and very careful holstering and unholstering.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I always carry condition 1

Old 11-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
Just curious, were they objecting to you carrying with one in the chamber, or were they objecting because you were handling your gun in the kitchen (possibly with them present)?
To one in the chamber. They know I carry and have no real issue with guns

Old 11-05-2012, 03:05 AM   #9

Liked 2384 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 533

They need a better understanding of guns and their readiness conditions, safeties and philosophy of use for defensive carry.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:10 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

What are the two most worthless things in the world????
Answer: An unloaded gun and a dull knife!
Nuff said!
We ALL need to educate others to these facts!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This