Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry Purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Carry Purchase

Got appt at State building in March for my consealled permit. Very excited! Although I am not really going to carry it on me 80% of the time, I may have it in my backpack with I do have most of the time. Also, I do not have a lot of extra money to buy several guns currently, I know they end up being like chips, you can not have just one, but I can only get one right now. I will be shooting at a range.
Should I get a nice full size since I will not be wearing it a lot, or should I get a compact that I can have with me almost all the time??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I have all the Hi-Point handguns and shoot them all; however, I like to conceal carry the Phoenix HP22 in a shoulder holster the most. At point blank this little one is deadly.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #3

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Sounds like you need a Colt Combat Commander

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
Sounds like you need a Colt Combat Commander
Damn HOSSFLY I think your right. I just looked that up and saw an amazing stainless one with white bone grips. Beautiful!! I am sure you have an extra you can hand down to me huh??

Old 02-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #5

Liked 3705 Times on 1826 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslmac2 View Post
Got appt at State building in March for my consealled permit. Very excited! Although I am not really going to carry it on me 80% of the time, I may have it in my backpack with I do have most of the time. Also, I do not have a lot of extra money to buy several guns currently, I know they end up being like chips, you can not have just one, but I can only get one right now. I will be shooting at a range.
Should I get a nice full size since I will not be wearing it a lot, or should I get a compact that I can have with me almost all the time??
If a backpack is going to be your mode of carry then I'd suggest you get a full sized pistol. They are much easier to learn with and more comfortable to practice with. 4" and 5" barrels also offer better terminal ballistic performance than short compact barreled gun given the same caliber/load combination.

Our members could give you some suggestions to consider if you'll let us know your budget and experience level.

Off the bat I'd suggest you google max pedition and look at their line of concealment shoulder bags and backpacks. Don't just drop a gun into a standard backpack. If you can't find it or reach it when you need it, what's the point? Get a bag designed to carry a gun with a dedicated internal holster pocket.

This is probably more important than "which gun" you pick.

Good luck and be safe.

Tack

Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1

If a backpack is going to be your mode of carry then I'd suggest you get a full sized pistol. They are much easier to learn with and more comfortable to practice with. 4" and 5" barrels also offer better terminal ballistic performance than short compact barreled gun given the same caliber/load combination.

Our members could give you some suggestions to consider if you'll let us know your budget and experience level.

Off the bat I'd suggest you google max pedition and look at their line of concealment shoulder bags and backpacks. Don't just drop a gun into a standard backpack. If you can't find it or reach it when you need it, what's the point? Get a bag designed to carry a gun with a dedicated internal holster pocket.

This is probably more important than "which gun" you pick.

Good luck and be safe.

Tack
Thanks Tack, good stuff. My backpack does have a special spot where I think it would go nicely, but I will also look at proper carrying bags.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #7

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by dslmac2 View Post
Damn HOSSFLY I think your right. I just looked that up and saw an amazing stainless one with white bone grips. Beautiful!! I am sure you have an extra you can hand down to me huh??
Well uhh I sorta gee wizz if you woudda ya know last month I cudda -----

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #8

Likes Given: 1

I would recommend you get something you can have with you most of the time. It does not do you any good if you don't have it with you. You didn't say what caliber you are looking for but I'll make a suggestion. I like the xd sc9 for general purpose. It's 9mm, will take +p ammunition, high capacity, reliable, relatively small, and not too expensive. Others may recommend a glock, but I prefer the xd.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #9

@cline, amen to that... I have got to get a secondary smaller weapon to carry when it's hot cause my primary is a compact but it's to big for just t-shirt...

Old 02-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cline
I would recommend you get something you can have with you most of the time. It does not do you any good if you don't have it with you. You didn't say what caliber you are looking for but I'll make a suggestion. I like the xd sc9 for general purpose. It's 9mm, will take +p ammunition, high capacity, reliable, relatively small, and not too expensive. Others may recommend a glock, but I prefer the xd.
Cline this is also going to be my first handgun and I am not going to be able to purchase several firearms. Maybe gun number 2 in a year and a half from now. I dd like and shoot the XDM Compact this weekend. I did like it but it is on the higher side of weight at 30oz. I also shot the M&P Compact, Glock 26 and Walther PPS.