Carry permit timeframe ques. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry permit timeframe ques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

I don't doubt the significant chance of a delay. I'm away working and won't be home until 3-4 days after the 30 day mark, at which point I will at least be calling to check on the progress. If there is no reasonable response I my at that point "inquire" about the 'shall issue within 30 days' clause. I'll report back in two weeks with what happens.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #12

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

it's not just your local office that's back logged. it's nation wide!

it COULD take no more than an hour for the background check, if you have lived in the same county for your entire life. but if you've lived in multiple counties, states, your local department has to contact each of those counties and run a check on you in those counties. You would think there was a national crime database where all local crimes are reported so that anyone in the country can call one shop and get all the information, but that is apparently not the case.

My sister works at the sheriff's department where we grew up, and she does the background checks for carry permits. She said that she had a guy who was in for his renewal, who lied on where all he's lived. I forget how she found out, but she ran him through the county he lived in but forgot to mention it, and found an assault charge, so she had to deny his renewal when the first time he went through the system, the person doing the checking was just being lazy, and ended up issuing the permit.

When I did my permit, she had her co-worker do all the leg work to avoid any questions that might come up on conflict of interest. Anyway, my background check took her 6 days. Being in the military, I've lived all over the country, and they had to check every county I've lived in since high school. Most of the counties had apparently returned the background check within a day, but Bossier Parish in Louisiana took 5 days to return the background check. If it was not for them, I could have had my permit in 48 hours after filing.

The good news for the OP is that his state law says "SHALL" which means he WILL get a permit, unless he's got criminal history that justifies a denial. so long as his record is clear, his local department HAS to issue a license. Some states laws are written as "MAY" meaning that even if you've never even had a speeding ticket, and are the model of the perfect citizen, the sheriff can still say "na, I don't like you so I'm not issuing you a permit"

Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #13

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I don't know if Maine requires a Mental Health release. In NC you have to sign a release allowing the Sheriffs Department to check your medical records. Our local Sheriffs department just checks to see if you have been committed involuntarily and calls your family Dr to see if you are being treated for something serious.

In Maine I don't know how much effort is put into checking your mental health.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #14

To address the last couple posts: just because it is a "shall" state does not mean they follow / obey that law. The reason is in the mental health check (as I have learned from this same thread on a different forum). So yes my background is clean aside from a couple speeding tickets from more than 5 years ago, yes the state requires the releases from the two state mental hospitals, and that's where the delay occurs.

The law states that the permit "Shall" be issued or denied within 30 days, however; it also states that the issuing authority (my local police dept in this case) "must" obtain the mental health records before issuing a permit. There is no online database for this so the request and replies must be made by mail and the mental hospitals are not held or bound to reply within any specific time frame.

I have received replies from both ends of the spectrum that going in and citing the "shall issue within 30 days" clause will make them know you mean business and get it done; and that because of the required mental health check that if they do not have that information and you press them on the 30 day issue then they are forced to deny the application which I certainly do not want.

We will see how this all plays out.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:28 AM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Maine is on Obama's list of one of the states that are supporting him.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDTAIL
Maine is on Obama's list of one of the states that are supporting him.
Ok completely off topic and I normally don't bother to engage thread high jackers especially political ones. However, one of the few things I dislike about my wonderful home state of Maine is the ridiculous number of people who are abusing and living off of state aid in one form or another. So yes there is alot of support for Obummer due to his handout tendencies. But there is also a whole lot of gun loving republicans in these here woods too.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #17

An update for anyone still following this thread: Right on time, just within 30 days I have received my phone call that my and my wife's applications were approved and our permits are ready to be picked up.

YAY!!!

Old 10-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #18

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Centurian, did you haev to submit passport photos with your application, or did you have them taken by the PD? The booklet and application are a little vague on wether we need to include them or not.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by therhino
Centurian, did you haev to submit passport photos with your application, or did you have them taken by the PD? The booklet and application are a little vague on wether we need to include them or not.
They took the pictures at the PD. The lady from the front desk went over everything with me when I picked up the packet. She also checked all pages when I submitted it to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

Good luck.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #20

Liked 983 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

I think in this type of case that "holding their feet to the fire" would only result in some type of aggravation for you. Since when is any government, (big or small) super concerned about following the law? The towns, cities, states have lawyers on staff to figure it out, and taxpayers to pay for all of it. No one is really held personally accountable......I'd have just let it go. But I see in the end it worked out. Good for you, OP.