Carry permit timeframe ques.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry permit timeframe ques.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Default Carry permit timeframe ques.

So I have a question. In Maine the law states:

Permit Issued Timeline:
A permit shall be issued within 30 days for a resident of 5 or more years, otherwise it shall be issued within 60 days.

Source: http://www.usacarry.com/maine_concea...formation.html

I am a resident applying for the first time so I fall under the 30days. However, my local PD where I applied said they are getting backed up on applications and it may take 5-6 weeks before I hear back. As I have waited this long (speaking of years in my life) and I would be away at work for four of those weeks I did not press the issue but was nonetheless curious. Could I have used the very law book they provided me to push this issue? Does anyone think it would do any good? Or would it more likely have just put me on their "this guy is a PITA so 'accidentally lose his application'" list?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9544 Times on 4106 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Quote:
shall be issued
Operative would is SHALL- meaning will be. Not "when we get to it", not "we are backed up". SHALL. Fail to comply with State law? Call the Attorney General's Office, and call the State Police.

You have to comply with the law- so do they.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1369 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 3476

I do not know how to post a double quote, so I will say this; I agree with c3shooter. Hold their feet to the fire.

On the flip side however is this, there are so many of your fellow citizens applying for the same thing that it is causing a backlog is a good thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian22 View Post
So I have a question. In Maine the law states:

Permit Issued Timeline:
A permit shall be issued within 30 days for a resident of 5 or more years, otherwise it shall be issued within 60 days.

Source: http://www.usacarry.com/maine_concea...formation.html

I am a resident applying for the first time so I fall under the 30days. However, my local PD where I applied said they are getting backed up on applications and it may take 5-6 weeks before I hear back. As I have waited this long (speaking of years in my life) and I would be away at work for four of those weeks I did not press the issue but was nonetheless curious. Could I have used the very law book they provided me to push this issue? Does anyone think it would do any good? Or would it more likely have just put me on their "this guy is a PITA so 'accidentally lose his application'" list?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Operative would is SHALL- meaning will be. Not "when we get to it", not "we are backed up". SHALL. Fail to comply with State law? Call the Attorney General's Office, and call the State Police.

You have to comply with the law- so do they.
Yep, that's my take on it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
I do not know how to post a double quote, so I will say this; I agree with c3shooter. Hold their feet to the fire.

On the flip side however is this, there are so many of your fellow citizens applying for the same thing that it is causing a backlog is a good thing!
Click on the quote icon (") in the lower-right section of the message you first want to quote, and then the "Quote" icon of the next post.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 10-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

@treehugger,

Thanks for the education!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
Yep, that's my take on it, too.

Click on the quote icon (") in the lower-right section of the message you first want to quote, and then the "Quote" icon of the next post.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
@treehugger,

Thanks for the education!!
It's rare for a person like myself, who my wife says is "stuck in the eighties", to be able to pass on a nugget of wisdom concerning anything technological.

I'm happy to help. It probably won't happen again....

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

TDS92A Likes This 
Old 10-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You would be surprised how much an education you can give someone and not evern realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49 View Post
It's rare for a person like myself, who my wife says is "stuck in the eighties", to be able to pass on a nugget of wisdom concerning anything technological.

I'm happy to help. It probably won't happen again....

Old 10-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #8

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I would just go with the flow. The deputy might have just said 5 to 6 weeks we are busy to keep the phone from ringing. The courts are even busier than the sheriffs dept. You might get your case heard in 90 days or more. Once the sheriffs dept. gets wind of your court case they might decide you are mentally ill and deny your permit altogether. Then you need a lawyer and a trip to superior court. A $90 permit that you would have got with no trouble is now going to cost thousands and could be delayed for years.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-13-2012 at 03:34 AM.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
I would just go with the flow. The deputy might have just said 5 to 6 weeks we are busy to keep the phone from ringing. The courts are even busier than the sheriffs dept. You might get your case heard in 90 days or more. Once the sheriffs dept. gets wind of your court case they might decide you are mentally ill and deny your permit altogether. Then you need a lawyer and a trip to superior court. A $90 permit that you would have got with no trouble is now going to cost thousands and could be delayed for years.
I dont believe its up to them to decide that, its thier job to look at a file and then rubber stamp it, otherwise they are on the hook for even more. The law is shall, not may. They only are allowed the allotted time, for which is probably less than an hour of actual fact checking, the necessary files are all on computer now, and a simple 5 minute call to the agency that houses said file (state police, fbi, dshs, etc) for the files they cant look up themselves.
wa has 7 specific files, agencies they check, and the same 30 day shall issue, and the same boom in cpl applications, and yet its usually just 2-3 weeks to receive the permit or denial letter via mail.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #10

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post
I dont believe its up to them to decide that, its thier job to look at a file and then rubber stamp it, otherwise they are on the hook for even more. The law is shall, not may. They only are allowed the allotted time, for which is probably less than an hour of actual fact checking, the necessary files are all on computer now, and a simple 5 minute call to the agency that houses said file (state police, fbi, dshs, etc) for the files they cant look up themselves.
wa has 7 specific files, agencies they check, and the same 30 day shall issue, and the same boom in cpl applications, and yet its usually just 2-3 weeks to receive the permit or denial letter via mail.
When I got my permit I didn't ask how long it would be. The time frame was on a sheet attached to the application (30 days). I got it in two weeks. The deputy was just answering the OP's question. That doesn't mean it will take that long.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/