To carry or not to carry? Asking advice - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > To carry or not to carry? Asking advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #21
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1735 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

I believe the argument against a CCW permit is that it gives the ‘state’ a list of people who may have a gun on them (not that it’s going to be all inclusive).

My take on the second amendment is that it was meant to give the population a militia to defend itself against the government, not the bad guys.

Practically speaking, the state already has all your peckers in it's pocket, so that's a moot point.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #22

Liked 2455 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I believe the argument against a CCW permit is that it gives the ‘state’ a list of people who may have a gun on them (not that it’s going to be all inclusive).

My take on the second amendment is that it was meant to give the population a militia to defend itself against the government, not the bad guys.

Practically speaking, the state already has all your peckers in it's pocket, so that's a moot point.
In my county alone, there are over 65,000 licensed CCWs. How would you

be able to track them all? That's just 1 county, in 1 state. Good luck with that "list"...

Old 06-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RairWeatherSmok View Post
IF you carry, and I do, you have determined that you are willing and able to take another's life if you are directly threatened. Pull the gun and intend to kill!! It is not like the movies "Stop or I will shoot".

Some will disagree with this, but it's my point of view.

BTW, a .22 is NOT a good place to start.
Oh, I disagree. You no more "have" to use a gun than you would a

tire iron, knife, or baseball bat.

And, size to penetration ratio considered, a 22LR is a GREAT way to start.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #24

Liked 2407 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 2312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post

So you're saying that if you have a gun you won't use it against a bad guy trying to kill you. You will only use it against the government.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #25
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
In my county alone, there are over 65,000 licensed CCWs. How would you

be able to track them all? That's just 1 county, in 1 state. Good luck with that "list"...
??? I didn't say the argument made any sense.

As far as viability goes; the 'state' does manage to track an awful lot of people with driver's licenses, and I do believe they do the same with gun permits. I'm not seeing the difficulty here. What am I missing?

Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM   #26
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

! WARNING !
I’m afraid this may be a thread hijacking:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
So you're saying that if you have a gun you won't use it against a bad guy trying to kill you. You will only use it against the government.
Geez! I'm not saying it's my argument. Good grief!
People were posting that there was no downside to a CCW permit. I just wanted to post what some thought the downside was (not meee!).

Thomas & the rest of the dissidents were pissed off at George for using the Redcoats to have his way with us rebels. That’s why the Second Amendment is in there.

America was a frontier with bears, deer (meat), highway men and other bad stuff. Having a gun was assumed. I don’t think it occurred to the Founding Fathers they needed to assure people had the right to have a gun anymore then they would need to assure people the right to have a horse, or pot, or a plow. A gun was part and parcel of the homesteading household.

What they wanted to insure was that the population had the capability to resist tyranny, hence the ‘well-regulated militia’ under local control. Resisting tyranny was what the revolution was about, not shooting bad guys. The Second Amendment just happens to be good for shooting bad guys too (your state may vary). Which, by the way, I would do, if I had to, if I could, I think, I'll find out (permit application goes in next week).

Here, check this post out:
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/everything-you-need-know-about-gun-control-99-words-44258/

Last edited by Vincine; 06-23-2011 at 09:04 PM.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:29 AM   #27

Don't get me wrong. IF you are not familiar with the laws in your area, and

you act inappropriately, the police are going to open a can of your money,

probably starting with arresting you, and confiscating all your guns.

If charged and convicted, goodbye guns, you now have a criminal record.

But possession of a CCW permit is not only a method to enhance protection,

it's also a great way, in many states, to eliminate pesky waiting periods,

which I particularly

find attractive, if I'm on the other side of the state, see something I like, and

don't feel like driving all the way back a week later.

However, it's more than likely, if you never had to use a tire iron, knife, or

baseball bat to fend off a BG, you'll never need to pull a gun, either.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by taihawk View Post
Hey all, first time in this particular forum, just joined here yesterday. Love the honesty, respect and guidance everybody seems to show on here so far. Hope you will forgive me for asking on here something that has likely been brought up many, many times. However, on a break at work here and don't have time to read all of the threads....so please forgive me for asking here again:

A guy here at work is going to hook me up with a pistol (.22 just to get started on, likely [hopefully] will get 'addicted' to shooting and collecting once I see how this works out.

Anyway, I've only been here a couple of months (hence the looking for a new hobby/interest). He runs the local gunclub, has a dealers' license, and also teaches most of the firearms safety courses (including for conceal and carry) for the county. I was asking him yesterday if I should just go ahead and pay for the permit and take the class now, "just to have it". His reply was that there is absolutely no need for it, as it is safe around here and "when do you ever feel so unsafe that you need to conceal and carry?"

So, since I never go on just one word alone, what say you? Is it really worth having, or is it just kind of "inviting trouble" so to speak? What are the positives and negatives of having one? Do I need one to go from state A to state B with my gun in the car? What if I'm driving through some wacked out neighborhood and my car breaks down, without a conceal and carry, can I have the gun out of the case on the seat next to me?

Sorry for the several questions, but I'm really wanting to know why I should or should not get one of these permits.

Thanks in advance......
First, welcome to the forum.
I think it's best to always if the chance
opens up to you to go ahead and apply
for a concealed carry license. This way one
can obtain a clearer sense of certainty and
security if one would have to use it immediately
without any judicial repercussions that might prove
unfavorable.

Last edited by PanBaccha; 06-30-2011 at 02:53 AM.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #29

I second PanBaccha's hearty welcome to the forum.

Also consider, while CCW permits are increasing on a

larger scale than ever, most successful politicians are

vote panderers, at least to some extent.

They will see any CCW permit as a pro-gun vote,

and will adopt,adjust, and tailor platforms and campaigns

accordingly, as our numbers grow increasingly stronger.

At this point, I fear no actual attack from which a gun alone would

protect me. But I carry to exercise and strengthen our severely

eroded RKBA.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #30

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Why get a CCW?

Because "An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity." - C. Smith

Read this before you decide to carry!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello