Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > To carry or not to carry? Asking advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 406 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I just refuse to feel like a sheep with no way to protect myself. I don't want to ever feel at the mercy of someone else for my life if I can help it. That was reason enough for me.

I was talking to people I work with about why I carry and they can't seem to understand it. I just said look at the NY pharmacy shooting. Any one of us could have been in there shopping for cold medicine, minding our own business when someone walks in and starts shooting. If I have the choice, I'm not going to live my life on the chance that something like that won't happen to me.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:53 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7616 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Name:  mrspoctalk.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  50.0 KB click the pic

My current home has not burned down, so there is no need for the fire extinguishers in my house.

I have never fallen out of my boat, so there is no need to wear a life jacket.

My kids have never been electrocuted, so I don't need those outlet caps.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:07 AM   #13

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I carry in part to carry me and mine. But I also very much feel a calling in society to be a protector. Nutnfancy (on YouTube

) describes the "Sheepdog" concept. Certain people feel the calling to serve others, if needed, by remaining in a perpetually prepared state through training and tools.

If you feel like it is right for you, then carry.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 06-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 699

There are many benefits to getting the CCW permit and no downside... unless you flat out just don't want to spend the money which is tiny in Iowa.

I have never had a fire, but I will never go without fire insurance. And do you know you are more likely to be a victim of violent crime than have a house fire?

Now I know Storm Lake isn't exactly a crime hotspot, but why not get it?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-22-2011, 05:38 AM   #15

There should be no reason not to get one. easier to transport, you can even shoot at ranges that require CWPs. Just dont do anything stupid like pull it out at a restaurant to show your buddy or shoot someone that flips you off on the road. Your mind is the weapon.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #16

Liked 2203 Times on 1265 Posts
Likes Given: 1791

The main reason I got my CWP was to ease gun purchases.

But I also carry. If you don't use it, you lose it.

The main reason I carry? I'm worried my gun might get ripped off

if I leave it in the car...

Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I can understand your friend's point of view, though I don't agree with him on aspects of it. I think, as a citizen, having a CCW is a duty to the Constitution even beyond the basic human right to self preservation.

However, a CCW is a responsibility and is not to be taken lightly. As someone mentioned, there is some increased scrutiny. Beyond this, you really must learn not only the state laws, but often be aware of local ordinances and where they do and do not apply.

There's also an almost life-changing switch on how you approach confrontation. Court cases are not very friendly to those who play sheriff. If you're the type of person who would normally try to break up a fight, maybe defend a buddy even if he's in the wrong, run to the sound of a fight rather than stay put, then you absolutely need to be in control of your emotions so that you do not escalate a fist fight into a shooting.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #18

IF you carry, and I do, you have determined that you are willing and able to take another's life if you are directly threatened. Pull the gun and intend to kill!! It is not like the movies "Stop or I will shoot".

Some will disagree with this, but it's my point of view.

BTW, a .22 is NOT a good place to start.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:24 AM   #19
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Tail, your friend might be giving you reasonable advise considering your trigger time. Get a nice .22 and learn the basics first. I think your friend s down playing the need to have a CC based on your current ability. The LAST thing you need to do is be armed with out the training to use the firearm if needed. You might shoot some one other than the bad guy, you might lose your firearm to the bad guy and have it used on you. More than the pistol in hand is the training of the person who holds that firearm.

No reason to rush in, lot's of folks will tell you it's your right. It's a lot more, it's a major responsibility to handle the firearm in a mannor it isn't a threat to the good people around you. Take your time, learn and when qualified to do so by all means carry

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6151 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 7028

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Attachment 29899 click the pic

My current home has not burned down, so there is no need for the fire extinguishers in my house.

I have never fallen out of my boat, so there is no need to wear a life jacket.

My kids have never been electrocuted, so I don't need those outlet caps.
Excellent post. Thank you for stating it that way.