To carry or not to carry? Asking advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > To carry or not to carry? Asking advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default To carry or not to carry? Asking advice

Hey all, first time in this particular forum, just joined here yesterday. Love the honesty, respect and guidance everybody seems to show on here so far. Hope you will forgive me for asking on here something that has likely been brought up many, many times. However, on a break at work here and don't have time to read all of the threads....so please forgive me for asking here again:

A guy here at work is going to hook me up with a pistol (.22 just to get started on, likely [hopefully] will get 'addicted' to shooting and collecting once I see how this works out.

Anyway, I've only been here a couple of months (hence the looking for a new hobby/interest). He runs the local gunclub, has a dealers' license, and also teaches most of the firearms safety courses (including for conceal and carry) for the county. I was asking him yesterday if I should just go ahead and pay for the permit and take the class now, "just to have it". His reply was that there is absolutely no need for it, as it is safe around here and "when do you ever feel so unsafe that you need to conceal and carry?"

So, since I never go on just one word alone, what say you? Is it really worth having, or is it just kind of "inviting trouble" so to speak? What are the positives and negatives of having one? Do I need one to go from state A to state B with my gun in the car? What if I'm driving through some wacked out neighborhood and my car breaks down, without a conceal and carry, can I have the gun out of the case on the seat next to me?

Sorry for the several questions, but I'm really wanting to know why I should or should not get one of these permits.

Thanks in advance......

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't see many downsides to having a carry permit, but i haven't signed up yet due to where i live. In MS, i can have a concealed pistol in the car; this is the only time i've had concerns. I will probably get one at some point, probably the week after i find out why i needed one.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #3

Liked 2763 Times on 1244 Posts
Likes Given: 2660

I don't think your friend is being very logical. I'd be willing to bet that 99% of all victims of crime felt safe prior to the crime. Your "feelings" have nothing to with being prepared. What do all the victims say after they have been attacked? They either say: "I never thought that would happen to me." or "I never thought that could happen in this area."

It can happen anywhere, anytime to anyone.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

Join the NRA and subscribe to one of their monthly magazines. There are reports of people who have relied on their firearm for different reasons.
But the same theme is there, the people involved were not expecting any trouble.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #5

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I don't think your friend is being very logical. I'd be willing to bet that 99% of all victims of crime felt safe prior to the crime. Your "feelings" have nothing to with being prepared. What do all the victims say after they have been attacked? They either say: "I never thought that would happen to me." or "I never thought that could happen in this area."

+10 this is the answer.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6010 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

having a permit in a lot of states greatly eases the transport of firearms. some states also use the permit as your background check when buying firearms. just because you have a ccw permit doesnt mean you gotta carry a gun.

no downside to having one.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #7

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Well, I think rjd covered the whole, carry vs. not carry issue. And I certainly don't call it inviting trouble. It's concealed. You can't invite trouble if they don't know you have it on you.

Now, you permit is only valid in the state it was issued and any other state that honors it. You can find that out here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

As for having a firearm in your vehicle, you would need to check you state laws on that. It varies from state to state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post

Big thumbs up!

Crime happens everywhere. Better to have something that you never have to use than not have it and need it desperately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
having a permit in a lot of states greatly eases the transport of firearms. some states also use the permit as your background check when buying firearms. just because you have a ccw permit doesnt mean you gotta carry a gun.

no downside to having one.
And, and this too.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #8

Liked 434 Times on 273 Posts
Likes Given: 1292

Carry Concealed heres a website to check out..

Old 06-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #9

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by taihawk View Post
His reply was that there is absolutely no need for it, as it is safe around here and "when do you ever feel so unsafe that you need to conceal and carry?"
If that's the dude's true feelings, I can't believe he bothers to teach a concealed carry class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taihawk View Post
Sorry for the several questions, but I'm really wanting to know why I should or should not get one of these permits.
I'm not sure about Iowa, but in NC if you have a CHL you don't have to buy a permit when you purchase a handgun. That alone is worth it to me to have a CHL.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Benefits of getting a carry permit:

1) Right to carry.
2) Easier to transport your own firearms without fear of potential legal issues.
3) It's a background check can be an asset during private sale transactions.
4) Wally World Walk.

Drawbacks:

1) If you struggle to obey the law, you've just given your state a fresh set of prints and all your info.
2) Gotta fork over a few bucks.

To me, the benefits greatly outweigh the cost. Even if you don't carry every day on your person, it's nice to be able to tuck a gun in a packpack when you're headed for the woods or under your truck seat when you're headed to an unfamiliar area.