Carry/ not carry

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry/ not carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Carry/ not carry

Was out the other day and came to a business that had the circle w/gun w/line through it. Said something along the lines of weapons are not permitted on the prop. No 30.06. Can I still carry??? I assumed no I can't carry. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if this is true I will not be returning to that store. Thx

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #2

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Need to check your state laws. In some states, a sign written with crayon Carries the weight of law, in some others, they have no legal weight at all. And then there are those that the worst the business can do is ask you to leave on account of trespassing. The most common thing to do is to either carry and keep in mind that CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED, or not patronize the business.

I'm a non attorney nut job. Do not take this as legal counsel. And if you do, remember how much you paid for services.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #3

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockEm View Post
Was out the other day and came to a business that had the circle w/gun w/line through it. Said something along the lines of weapons are not permitted on the prop. No 30.06. Can I still carry??? I assumed no I can't carry. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if this is true I will not be returning to that store. Thx
Let me see if I understand. You want to carry a concealed gun and you don't know the laws of the state you're in on concealed carry? If you don't know what's legal and not legal, you shouldn't be carrying.

If you're in Texas here is a link to show you what a legal 30.06 sign looks like. A sign with a gun and circle / slash is not a legal 30.06 sign in Texas.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

As Trip286 says, never rely on legal advice from the 'net. Texas is one of those states that the 'no guns' sign that you describe does not carry the weight of law. If you are discovered to be armed & are asked to leave, can do so without penalty. However, if you refuse to leave, then they may call the police & you'll be charged with criminal trespass. I'm not up on that subject for the other 56 states.

One other issue is that if you should have to actually use it in such a place. Because of that sign, you are not protected by the Texas 'Castle Doctrine'.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:38 AM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Cops gun down man for legally carrying firearm:

Erik Scott was shopping in the Costco, but had been asked to leave when an employee spotted Scott’s lawfully carried handgun. He informed the employee that he was legally carrying the gun and was in possession of a valid Nevada concealed weapons permit, but was informed that Costco has a policy against carrying firearms in their stores.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/06/cops-gun-down-man-for-legally-carrying-firearm/

Old 06-10-2012, 01:42 AM   #6

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I like how you'll boycott that store, +1 to you. Arm yourself with knowledge first, it can be more powerful than a gun sometimes...

And yes, never take legal advice from an internetz forum. Would also help point you in the right direction if we knew in which state you live...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 06-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #7

Thx for all the feedback. By no means am I relying on online information. I have good friend that is a CHL instructor. So I have plenty of sources. I do know my laws. Though this was "Firearms Talk" I may not be as experienced as a lot of others CHL holders, but I do know the difference from carry/no carry zones. Nice takin though. Thanks.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:40 AM   #8

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockEm View Post
A business has the right to say NO-
I wouldn't go back either

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm no expert, but I do play one on this forum. The best advice was

Quote:
CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED
If they don't know you're carrying it's a non-issue.
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Last edited by trex1310; 06-10-2012 at 03:50 AM. Reason: correct error
vincent Likes This 
Old 06-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3114 Times on 1789 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Such a store does not need my business.

(Take an ad out in one of the free ad papers in the area and post something on Craigslist. "Just Information" about the store's policy and how you will not patronize the establishment.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)