Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Carry/ not carry (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/carry-not-carry-66142/)

GlockEm 06-09-2012 11:16 PM

Carry/ not carry

Was out the other day and came to a business that had the circle w/gun w/line through it. Said something along the lines of weapons are not permitted on the prop. No 30.06. Can I still carry??? I assumed no I can't carry. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if this is true I will not be returning to that store. Thx

trip286 06-09-2012 11:38 PM

Need to check your state laws. In some states, a sign written with crayon Carries the weight of law, in some others, they have no legal weight at all. And then there are those that the worst the business can do is ask you to leave on account of trespassing. The most common thing to do is to either carry and keep in mind that CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED, or not patronize the business.

I'm a non attorney nut job. Do not take this as legal counsel. And if you do, remember how much you paid for services.

buckhorn_cortez 06-10-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockEm (Post 830714)
Was out the other day and came to a business that had the circle w/gun w/line through it. Said something along the lines of weapons are not permitted on the prop. No 30.06. Can I still carry??? I assumed no I can't carry. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if this is true I will not be returning to that store. Thx

Let me see if I understand. You want to carry a concealed gun and you don't know the laws of the state you're in on concealed carry? If you don't know what's legal and not legal, you shouldn't be carrying.

If you're in Texas here is a link to show you what a legal 30.06 sign looks like. A sign with a gun and circle / slash is not a legal 30.06 sign in Texas.

gollygee 06-10-2012 12:08 AM

As Trip286 says, never rely on legal advice from the 'net.:) Texas is one of those states that the 'no guns' sign that you describe does not carry the weight of law. If you are discovered to be armed & are asked to leave, can do so without penalty. However, if you refuse to leave, then they may call the police & you'll be charged with criminal trespass. I'm not up on that subject for the other 56 :) states.

One other issue is that if you should have to actually use it in such a place. Because of that sign, you are not protected by the Texas 'Castle Doctrine'.

Ranger-6 06-10-2012 12:38 AM

Cops gun down man for legally carrying firearm:

Erik Scott was shopping in the Costco, but had been asked to leave when an employee spotted Scott’s lawfully carried handgun. He informed the employee that he was legally carrying the gun and was in possession of a valid Nevada concealed weapons permit, but was informed that Costco has a policy against carrying firearms in their stores.

http://www.wnd.com/2012/06/cops-gun-down-man-for-legally-carrying-firearm/

vincent 06-10-2012 12:42 AM

I like how you'll boycott that store, +1 to you. Arm yourself with knowledge first, it can be more powerful than a gun sometimes...:cool:

And yes, never take legal advice from an internetz forum. Would also help point you in the right direction if we knew in which state you live...

GlockEm 06-10-2012 01:18 AM

Thx for all the feedback. By no means am I relying on online information. I have good friend that is a CHL instructor. So I have plenty of sources. I do know my laws. Though this was "Firearms Talk" I may not be as experienced as a lot of others CHL holders, but I do know the difference from carry/no carry zones. Nice takin though. Thanks.

HOSSFLY 06-10-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockEm (Post 830714)

A business has the right to say NO-
I wouldn't go back either ;)

trex1310 06-10-2012 02:49 AM

I'm no expert, but I do play one on this forum. The best advice was
Quote:

CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED
If they don't know you're carrying it's a non-issue.

danf_fl 06-10-2012 09:32 AM

Such a store does not need my business.

(Take an ad out in one of the free ad papers in the area and post something on Craigslist. "Just Information" about the store's policy and how you will not patronize the establishment.)