Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry/Home Defense Load????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Carry/Home Defense Load????

Would like to know what Load or Mix of load you use in your Handgun for personal defense?? A friend of mine, (whose brother is a navy seal) said his brother loads a Hydrashok in the pipe and the rest of the Mag is loaded with FMJ.(when he is a home that is.)( BTW. Still waiting to hear from him on the reason why he would do this!??) Ive been a gun owner for 8yrs now, and Im just getting around to research on this topic. I personally have all my mags loaded with MAGSAFE, but will probably change after some feedback. Thanks for your patience, and I appreciate your comments. Harry.

BTW. Im new to the site, and havent picked up the lingo so go easy on me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2008, 04:47 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8604 Times on 3730 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

For an auto, the round must make YOUR gun function with every shot. Sounds basic, but not every gun likes every brand of ammo. Your Bro may be looking at reliabilty (FMJ may feed better than JHP, etc) Magsafes and Hydrashocks have a good rep, but feed a box of them thru your gun to be sure. I generally carry a revolver, if an auto, I use Remington Golden Saber. For combat loads (retired Army) I used to load NEXT to last round as a tracer (see tracer, mag is empty, weapon is not- drop mag, slap fresh mag in place, continue to shoot)

Old 04-20-2008, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
For an auto, the round must make YOUR gun function with every shot. Sounds basic, but not every gun likes every brand of ammo. Your Bro may be looking at reliabilty (FMJ may feed better than JHP, etc) Magsafes and Hydrashocks have a good rep, but feed a box of them thru your gun to be sure. I generally carry a revolver, if an auto, I use Remington Golden Saber. For combat loads (retired Army) I used to load NEXT to last round as a tracer (see tracer, mag is empty, weapon is not- drop mag, slap fresh mag in place, continue to shoot)
i like that next to last round
well its not really about the bullets its about hitting but a tracer would stop me from counting

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

DH, 4/20/08

C3 makes some good points. I reload Remington Golden Sabers in my 9mm and .45 pistols. I use the 185 grain for the .45's because I have a number of short barreled pistols which may not have enough barrel length to get a 230 grain bullet up to speed. I use the 124 grain for the 9mm's. In the 40,000 used over the past three years they have always fed well in a number of different pistols (Sigs, SW 3rd generation, SA 1911's, Glocks, CZ's, etc.). I have also used a few thousand Taurus gold-hollow points and they feed well also. I have used a few hundred Speer Gold dots and they also work well. There are a number of high quality hollow point bullets available (Federal, Speer, Remington, Winchester, Taurus, etc.) and the key is to find one that feeds well in your pistol and is not too expensive so you can practice with it from time to time.
Of course, no matter which bullet you pick, shot placement is the most important factor. There are several forums which test bullets in gelatin media designed to simulate muscle tissue. These can be helpful places to do research (or it can confuse you more). Two forums I like to review are tacticalforums.com and stoppingpower.net. Each site has some good data even though there is some philosophical disagreement between them. Good luck.
best wishes- oldandslow

Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Military folks are required to carry FMJ. I know of no reason to carry a mixture of ammo types, because there is no way to know how many rounds, and in which order you will need them. FMJ makes no sense for civilian self defense and most modern pistols will feed hollow point ammo reliably.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-25-2008, 01:38 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

I use Winchester whitebox hollowpoints in the .357 and Silver Bear hollowpoints in the Mak.

9x18=Makarov

Old 04-25-2008, 03:54 AM   #7

I have Hornady 200 and 230 grain TAP +P's in my Glock .45's. I've heard of people loading a few hollow points for human threats, then FMJ after that for serious animal threats (Bears) for the purpose of increased penetration. It makes sense, but Bears aren't a serious threat here in FL.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:56 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

See screen name...

Old 05-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #9

jhp's all the way

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 05-22-2008, 02:35 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My pistols are all loaded with Georgia Arms Gold Dots (www.georgia-arms.com). My Bushmaster Carbon 15 9mm gets a staggered loading of Remington 147 FMJ and Magtech 115 +P+ JHP.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.