Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry Gun For My Dad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
The 1911 is designed to be carried in condition 1...aka "cocked and locked." As it is a single action only design carrying with the hammer down adds time and hand movement to the aiming and firing of the gun. Frankly, if that is a concern then a DA/SA design is a better choice but some do not like the different trigger pull between the first and second shots.
If a 1911 is a single action and the hammer is down when u draw...how does that work???

I was under the impression that a SA means the trigger does one thing...dropping the hammer.

Are you implying to carry in "condition 1", draw the gun, cock the hammer, aim and fire???

I think I understand....

and when I said my dad isn't very safe and wants to carry loaded...I didn't mean carrying loaded is UNsafe...I meant my dad is unsafe and would find a way to screw it up because he's out of practice.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 436

The 1911 is single action, When folks say "cocked and locked" they mean a round in the chamber, hammer back and the manual safety on.

If your worried about your father being safe with a firearem because of lack of trigger time, maybe go to a range that rents guns and get him behind a few to try out and practice with. You should be very profecint with any weapon you carry, if your not you may end up being more of a danger to yourself or others, than you are a help. To carry is a very big responsability and should be taken very serious. With that said go get some practice with him maybe try some guns and see what he likes.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
The 1911 is single action, When folks say "cocked and locked" they mean a round in the chamber, hammer back and the manual safety on.

If your worried about your father being safe with a firearem because of lack of trigger time, maybe go to a range that rents guns and get him behind a few to try out and practice with. You should be very profecint with any weapon you carry, if your not you may end up being more of a danger to yourself or others, than you are a help. To carry is a very big responsability and should be taken very serious. With that said go get some practice with him maybe try some guns and see what he likes.

There aren't many ranges around here that rent guns. And none that I've been to that rent handguns. Might just ask a buddy if he could try shooting his

Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBrowningBoy View Post
Alright...My dad just found out that his pistol permit is also good for a CCW and he never realized it before.
I can't help on the recommendations, I'm just curious... How does one accidentally end up with a CCW permit? Looking at the application form you have to actually check the box for CCW. and according to an orange county shooters website you "You will have a meeting with your Judge and he/she will decide if you have shown "PROPER CAUSE"".

Just curious

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 06-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #15

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
If a 1911 is a single action and the hammer is down when u draw...how does that work???

I was under the impression that a SA means the trigger does one thing...dropping the hammer.

Are you implying to carry in "condition 1", draw the gun, cock the hammer, aim and fire???

I think I understand....

and when I said my dad isn't very safe and wants to carry loaded...I didn't mean carrying loaded is UNsafe...I meant my dad is unsafe and would find a way to screw it up because he's out of practice.
No I was making the opposite point...sorry if I was confusing. You are correct, the hammer must be cocked for the gun to fire. What I was trying to illustrate was the negative aspect of not carrying with the hammer fully cocked as I thought your Dad had concerns over it. To be clear, condition 1 is a round in the chamber, hammer fully cocked and safety engaged.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-09-2011, 03:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
I can't help on the recommendations, I'm just curious... How does one accidentally end up with a CCW permit? Looking at the application form you have to actually check the box for CCW. and according to an orange county shooters website you "You will have a meeting with your Judge and he/she will decide if you have shown "PROPER CAUSE"".

Just curious

Back in the 70s he applied for his permit and he applied for his pistol permit and his ccw...he just had forgotten. He found his ccw receipt thingy in his dresser...it's ancient

Old 06-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Back in the 70s he applied for his permit and he applied for his pistol permit and his ccw...he just had forgotten. He found his ccw receipt thingy in his dresser...it's ancient
Don't they expire and have to be renewed periodically?

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Don't they expire and have to be renewed periodically?
Last summer my dad bought a shotgun from Illinois...New laws state that firearms coming from out of state require a background check.

My dad had something on his record for unknowingly buying a stolen car in the early 70s.

He got his pistol permit a few years later even when having this record smudge.

New laws turned that misdemeanor (I assume that's what it is) into a felony.

Sherrifs came to his house, confiscated his handguns, checked his permit and asked to see all other guns in the home (Felons can't own ANY firearm in NY)

Got a lawyer, got his shotguns and handguns back (after a permit validation check)

He's good to go.

Last edited by TimL2952; 06-09-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:03 AM   #19

May have settled on a Sig P220 in .357 sig