Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry earplugs with your CWP?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 03:10 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

M72- If I'm not mistaken, especially in mobile homes they use materials that are sound absorbant.
Personally, I almost always have earplugs on hand, i ride with an open-faced brain bucket and I value my hearing. Once i get my cwp in Utah, I probably wouldn't have time to remove them.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 01-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #72

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If you always were them is one thing but if you have time to dig them out of a case or your pocket. You had time to run. And about becoming over taken by a hostel crowd you would have a lot of liabilty becuase not everyone in the crowd is dangerous. One missed shot and you would be screwwed.

Old 01-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #73

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone know what our soldiers do in the battlefield? I know it's a little off topic, but I was wondering if they wear hearing protection when they head out into the battlefield, knowing that they may very well get into a fire fight.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #74
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 792 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law View Post
dont know how loud a shot from a centerfire hand gun or rifle inside a car is? but what i have heard, shooting inside a house isnt as loud as outside.

my fathernlaw had some old mobile homes on his property & just started to tare them down,i asked if i could do a penetrating test to the inside of the walls of one...well as it turns out,a 12ga. 1oz. slug will go through 5 walls and out the back!

anyways,when i shot the first round with ear buds in,i noticed that the sound wasnt as loud for some odd reason?very muffled sounding.so i took my plugs out & fired off another shot & what do ya know,no ringing in earsmight just be im going deaf as i get older,(using an air chisel all day at work w/out ear plugs) could have something to do with it

shooting a 50BMG without earplugs is terrible!!!

going deaf really sucks but it could have its advantages
Years ago my best friends Dad accidentally discharged his Winchester model 70 in 270 win. inside a vehicle (57 Ford) with all the windows rolled up and I have suffered from tinnitus ever since and no it didn't sound loud it was more like someone slapping me on both ears with the palm of their hands! I seriously doubt inside a room is much better.
Having said that when it comes to self defense NO EARPLUGS!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #75

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haha about ten years ago I was an idiot my daughter,ex-wife,myself are sitting in my camper they're watching tv and I'm cleaning a Taurus 9mm for some ungodly reason I put in the mag rack one and squeeze it off. I know why I did it I was use to checking my slide but,I never put the mag in. Can you say complacent anyways I blow a hole in the roof and go deaf for about five minutes witch during this time I look at my daughter she is screaming but I can't hear her I also get the piss slapped out of me by the ex. I wish I woulda had ear plugs that day.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #76

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m72law
dont know how loud a shot from a centerfire hand gun or rifle inside a car is? but what i have heard, shooting inside a house isnt as loud as outside.

my fathernlaw had some old mobile homes on his property & just started to tare them down,i asked if i could do a penetrating test to the inside of the walls of one...well as it turns out,a 12ga. 1oz. slug will go through 5 walls and out the back!

anyways,when i shot the first round with ear buds in,i noticed that the sound wasnt as loud for some odd reason?very muffled sounding.so i took my plugs out & fired off another shot & what do ya know,no ringing in earsmight just be im going deaf as i get older,(using an air chisel all day at work w/out ear plugs) could have something to do with it

shooting a 50BMG without earplugs is terrible!!!

going deaf really sucks but it could have its advantages
Wrong, shooting inside a structure is much louder than shooting outside. The sound bounces around inside and is magnified. I shot a stray cat with my savage 22-250 from the kitchen counter just inside the back door and the noise was at least twice as long if not louder.

It was probably quieter in an old mobile home because the walls are as thin as tissue paper, the sound just went through like a hot knife in butter. Do it in a stick built house with 1/2" sheetrock on the walls and 5/8" on the ceilings.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 01-08-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #77

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 304

Soldiers don't wear them in combat...so if you're planning on hopping out into a riot, you shouldn't need them either. I'd rather have a ballistics vest or plate carrier stashed in the car..