Carry earplugs with your CWP? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry earplugs with your CWP?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

I will do without the plugs in a SHTF situation besides the other posts against it it can impare your situational awareness by limiting your hearing. I have never seen earplugs or muffs in a squad car.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #62

Good stuff..ear plugs are meant for the range! In a self-defense situation, so many things are going to run through your head. The goal is to stay cool, calm, and collective and have that muscle memory kick in. I'm a rookie on this forum, but check out my articles at CHL San Antonio | Concealed Handgun Classes | CHL Texas Certification

Be Safe!
San Antonio CHL
CHL San Antonio | Concealed Handgun Classes | CHL Texas Certification

Old 12-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #63

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yep the last thing you think about in a shoot or sh¤t sittuation is ear plugs. Besides earplugs wont help if your filled full of holes becuase you wasted valuable time trying to put them in

Old 12-31-2011, 11:31 PM   #64
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 860 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 386

I have to admit this post has given me a few chuckles and has gone on much longer than I ever would have imagined!
If someone is breaking in or prowling around my house I want to be able to hear them! So no earplugs!
Early on in life "we" never wore ear protection cuz thats the way "real men" did it! After many hours at the range and 30 plus years of heavy construction
I have not experienced any hearing loss, that ringing and buzzing sound some of you mentioned after being around gunfire or loud noises I hear perfectly well
and all the time! The only plus side to the frequency loss I have suffered is that it does tend to drown out many female nagging sounds.
Seriously its typically sustained and frequent loud sounds that do the damage a couple of shots in self defense isn't going to cause major hearing loss.
If you still insist on ear plugs in a self defense situation keep a few extra around to plug that hole you're going to get in your forehead!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Last edited by Pasquanel; 01-01-2012 at 02:36 AM.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #65

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac131911 View Post
earplugs wont help if your filled full of holes becuase you wasted valuable time trying to put them in
Nobody has suggested to anyone to waste any valuable time. Where did you get that idea from?
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 01-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #66

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

If your in a situTion that is serous enough for you to pull a weapon, any time you take to put in earplugs or anything else will probably get you killed. That being said if you have time to do that the situation was not all that bad.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #67

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

The going example in this thread is a violent riot breaks out around your car. I'd get my gun ready condition 1 first. Now I'm in the middle of a dangerous situation, with more time to do something else.

Without debating particulars of a hypothetical, you'd be looking for a way to get out of there. Maybe you have to run some people over? It happened at an occupy wall street incident just a few weeks ago! What if you don't want to run people over? You are truly stuck, but still with plenty of time to put on plugs not really making the slightest difference to your situation whether you choose to put them on or not. I think guns would be louder in a car than other places, so I'd put them on.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 01-01-2012, 01:58 AM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
Without debating particulars of a hypothetical, you'd be looking for a way to get out of there. Maybe you have to run some people over? It happened at an occupy wall street incident just a few weeks ago! What if you don't want to run people over? You are truly stuck, but still with plenty of time to put on plugs not really making the slightest difference to your situation whether you choose to put them on or not. I think guns would be louder in a car than other places, so I'd put them on.
I want to be able to hear everything right up until the moment I decide to pull the trigger...otherwise, it's maybe not such an informed decision. There's just a whole lotta legal ramifications involved in the premeditation implied by adding hearing protection before a defensive shooting.

I keep several packs of ear plugs in my truck in case I happen to need them for recreational shooting or whatever else. But it would never dawn on me to employ them in a defensive situation...even if I had time to prepare.

Do whatever you feel right about. For me, it'd be a foolish proposition.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:01 AM   #69

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

dont know how loud a shot from a centerfire hand gun or rifle inside a car is? but what i have heard, shooting inside a house isnt as loud as outside.

my fathernlaw had some old mobile homes on his property & just started to tare them down,i asked if i could do a penetrating test to the inside of the walls of one...well as it turns out,a 12ga. 1oz. slug will go through 5 walls and out the back!

anyways,when i shot the first round with ear buds in,i noticed that the sound wasnt as loud for some odd reason?very muffled sounding.so i took my plugs out & fired off another shot & what do ya know,no ringing in earsmight just be im going deaf as i get older,(using an air chisel all day at work w/out ear plugs) could have something to do with it

shooting a 50BMG without earplugs is terrible!!!

going deaf really sucks but it could have its advantages

Old 01-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #70

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

oh yeah,HAPPY NEW YEARS FTF!!!!!!

KEEP YOUR MUZZLES down!!!!

Last edited by m72law; 01-01-2012 at 02:07 AM.