Carry earplugs with your CWP? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Carry earplugs with your CWP?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGnature
In an actual SD situation you will barely have time to present and fire, much less fool around with hearing protection.
I would suggest a class from a professional trainer focused on SD situations, even if firing at stationary targets.
I would go a step further and maybe think about running a Tueller Drill just to see if there's any extra fractions of seconds available.

I completely understand the desire to protect your hearing. Unfortunately, drawing your weapon in SD is a last-resort tactic. The really good options are no longer available, including walking away and everybody goes home uninjured.
Well you can call a time out and see if the BG listens while you insert your ear plugs.. :-\

Old 12-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Well you can call a time out and see if the BG listens while you insert your ear plugs.. :-\
Exactly, sir... that's my point... most of these things happen at "bad breath" distance ... even drawing and firing under stress will be a major challenge ... and unless well-practiced, even that part is unlikely

Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #43

I love how everyone keeps saying how in a SD situation you will barely have time to draw... Well if you read what he wrote the first thing he said was... if the opportunity presented itself.... christ people

Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
HAHAHAHAHA Now, now mister bad to the bone man... please take this opportunity to meander into my kitchen where you'll find a nice Hoagie, and beer in the fridge, Oh just one more second please, I dropped one of these little thingies, they're so frustrating at times, gosh... R O F L

Old 12-27-2011, 04:50 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerViolence View Post
I love how everyone keeps saying how in a SD situation you will barely have time to draw... Well if you read what he wrote the first thing he said was... if the opportunity presented itself.... christ people
Because it is unrealistic. At the point you realize you must draw it's too late for earplugs.
There will not be such an opportunity.
But nothing is stopping you from having them handy if that's your strategy.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #46

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGnature View Post
There will not be such an opportunity.
Be a little more open-minded. The very first post gave an example of a riot breaking out around your car.

Everyone agrees that most situations would happen too fast. The discussion is for carrying earplugs to be prepared for when you might want them and also have time to put them in.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 12-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I have significant hearing loss due to past history with LOUD aircaft engines and guns, so I wouldn't carry earplugs on a regular basis. But another reason I don't carry earplugs and would never put them in my ears in a SD situation is that ANY excuse a prosecutor or civil plaintiff's attorney can come up with in an attempt to show premeditation should be avoided. To carry ear protection on a daily basis, then to use them when the SHTF is likely to give the BG's attorney or a prosecutor an excuse to claim that you went out LOOKING for an opportunity to shoot someone.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
Be a little more open-minded. The very first post gave an example of a riot breaking out around your car.

Everyone agrees that most situations would happen too fast. The discussion is for carrying earplugs to be prepared for when you might want them and also have time to put them in.
Marthor: I'm not trying to have a post-war with you, sir... I'm trying to point out that in an SD situation you must have priorities. You must train with those priorities in mind. It is not a matter of open-mindedness -- I completely understand the OP -- I get that he is asking "what if there's time?" -- I am able to comprehend such concepts.

What I'm trying to convey is that there are many things we'd "like" to be a certain way and we'd like to have time for.

I believe you are doing a disservice to that member by suggesting anything extraneous -- yes, extraneous -- to the actions required for self defense.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGnature

Marthor: I'm not trying to have a post-war with you, sir... I'm trying to point out that in an SD situation you must have priorities. You must train with those priorities in mind. It is not a matter of open-mindedness -- I completely understand the OP -- I get that he is asking "what if there's time?" -- I am able to comprehend such concepts.

What I'm trying to convey is that there are many things we'd "like" to be a certain way and we'd like to have time for.

I believe you are doing a disservice to that member by suggesting anything extraneous -- yes, extraneous -- to the actions required for self defense.
Marthor is the OP

Old 12-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by phburks View Post
Marthor is the OP
Everybody is free to choose their strategy. There's a ton of information available to all of us. Some of that information is available from professional trainers and some is available from people's opinions.

I'm not a professional trainer, so you can take my input as just another opinion.

My goal in posting the responses I did was only to be helpful as I see misinformation posted on these types of forums frequently and I hope we're all here for the same purpose -- to try to help eachother -- to learn from eachother.

Carry earplugs. Don't carry earplugs. I've obviously said my piece.

I will recommend that you discuss this with a qualified and experienced professional trainer to get an expert's opinion which would carry more weight than mine.