Carry earplugs with your CWP? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry earplugs with your CWP?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 02:10 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee
avoiding trouble is always the best solution.
+1,000,000

Old 12-24-2011, 02:30 AM   #22

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

my hearing has gotten to the point where one or two shots don't ring my ears like they use to. When hunting I don't even use ear plugs any more don't really need to one shot a little bit of ringing and then I'm fine after a few minutes. I agree with the idea that the jury might use it against you that you had time to put in ear plugs...etc.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-24-2011, 03:07 AM   #23

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear
my hearing has gotten to the point where one or two shots don't ring my ears like they use to. When hunting I don't even use ear plugs any more don't really need to one shot a little bit of ringing and then I'm fine after a few minutes. I agree with the idea that the jury might use it against you that you had time to put in ear plugs...etc.
Dude, your still young. For that matter, I'm fairly young too. But I can tell you, as far as hearing goes, you'll miss it when it's gone. I hope your trying to avoid any further damage.

Old 12-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Pretty much what everyone else said, court defense, loss of one of your senses when you need them all the most, if you have time for earplugs you probably had time to avoid the encounter. I pray I never know for sure but comparing an SD situation to the adrenaline rush you get from hunting , guns that are loud as hell and kick like a mule when your sighting them in you barely feel or hear when the time comes to pull the trigger. Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phburks View Post
Hunting and self defense are 2 very different scenarios for use of a gun.

Inless sir your hunting a pissed off bear.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 12-25-2011, 04:56 AM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I understand they're different, but the fundamentals of gun safety are the same. You should never point your firearm at something unless you want to destroy it, keep your safety engaged and your finger off the trigger til your ready to fire and one thing my father used to say and I pass onto my daughters and wife , you cannot get that bullet back there's no second chances whatever it was pointed at is where it ends up , a bullet has no feelings or remorse. I take my 5yo hunting and when we gut and skin a deer I make sure and point out to her the horrendeous damage a bullet inflicts. That's why my first concern even with a SD weapon is safety. Maybe its my backwoods,informal training but its kept myself and those around me safe for the past 37 years that I've been shooting.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:59 AM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Id love to go to Alaska on a bear hunt, hunting or defending myself from a pissed off one. Not so much lol

Old 12-25-2011, 06:28 AM   #28

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

For people making a legal argument against carrying earplugs. "I didn't even have time to put on my earplugs that I always carry with my gun" is a good add and would likely be the case in the real situation anyway.

For some other situations where you did have time to put on your plugs, they will help you "keep" your senses when loud noises are startling or knocking-out other people around you who didn't have plugs.

Recurring theme of being prepared is better than not being prepared. No reason to not at least keep some plugs in your car.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 12-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTmAn

Inless sir your hunting a pissed off bear.
Lol still a difference: hunting would mean you're chasing the bear; self-defense would mean the bear is chasing you.

But my statement was strictly contrasting the scenarios of hunting and self-defense in regards to the need (and/or lack thereof) for hearing protection/silencers.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTF
I understand they're different, but the fundamentals of gun safety are the same. You should never point your firearm at something unless you want to destroy it, keep your safety engaged and your finger off the trigger til your ready to fire and one thing my father used to say and I pass onto my daughters and wife , you cannot get that bullet back there's no second chances whatever it was pointed at is where it ends up , a bullet has no feelings or remorse. I take my 5yo hunting and when we gut and skin a deer I make sure and point out to her the horrendeous damage a bullet inflicts. That's why my first concern even with a SD weapon is safety. Maybe its my backwoods,informal training but its kept myself and those around me safe for the past 37 years that I've been shooting.
My statement was contrasting hunting and self-defense strictly in regards to the suggested need for hearing protection/silencers in everyday gun carry for the purposes of self-defense. Of course I agree that gun safety always applies to any situation when guns are involved for the very reasons you mentioned.