Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry earplugs with your CWP?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

My CCW instructor, also a LEO, said that the adrenalin rush reduces blood flow to ears, and therefore you will not get hearing damage.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 12-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #12

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Not necessarily true. Hearing loss can occur from the high pressure of the muzzle blast on the membrane of the ear drum whether or not the sound actually registers in your brain. What the instructor may have meant was that you would not hear the sound due to your over-excited state, the effect on the ear itself is nonnegotiable without protection.

Nothing wrong with being prepared but personally I would choose to have all my senses available to me during a SD encounter, would hate to be gunned down by the LEO behind me whose commands to drop the gun I failed to hear due to earplugs. JMHO

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
To add to what has been stated...in a life or death situation any action beyond life preservation can and will be used against you. If you have the time to put in ear protection then you are not in imminent danger. Other side of the argument is the extra 1 or 2 seconds it would take to retrieve and insert the plugs is better used getting a clear target.

Also, from what I have been told and have read the adrenalin rush that accompanies the "fight or flight" reflex will diminish your fine motor skills to the point where you will not be able to get the plugs in your ears...your reactions will be completely reactive and will depend on finely tuned muscle memory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Nothing wrong with being prepared but personally I would choose to have all my senses available to me during a SD encounter, would hate to be gunned down by the LEO behind me whose commands to drop the gun I failed to hear due to earplugs. JMHO
Very good points in my opinion.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #14

Liked 998 Times on 597 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I was in quite a few shots fired situations as a LEO,and i was also "fired at" a couple of times.casually plinking or shooting at a range is totally different than a SHTF situation. When your in the heat of the moment, your adrenaline is running and your attention and focus is on the objective. you will remember the shots being fired but how loud the shots were will never cross your mind. In all of the situations that i have been in, i can remember hearing the "pops" from the shots fired but not the loud report itself.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #15

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

+1 to everybody in this thread...yup, premeditation is a biatch to disprove. I have actually trained without plugs from time to time, no more that a few shots, just to know what to expect if I ever got into that SD situation...pretty unpleasant...I carry the yellow foamies every single day anyways, I see a lot of live bands and they come in very handy...they work for drowning out annoying people too!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #16

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Ccw earplugs make as much sense as a ccw badge.

I'd like to shag alot of the women I see, but I don't walk around wearing a condom, neither do I carry one in my wallet.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
"i wish to point this out to the illustrious jury members, it was NOT self defense as the accused took the time to put in hearing protection. he clearly had plenty of time to plan his actions in the murder of the innocent victim who was just trying to turn his life around...."i just wouldnt put it past a lefty prosecutor to argue that.
Powerful arguement in logic. Best leave the hearing plugs for range shooting.

Last edited by PanBaccha; 12-23-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I carry ear protection in my personal vehicle all the time, you never know when a chance to do some target shooting may arise. However, I do not carry them in my patrol car and would never think about putting them on in a self defense situation. I would rather worry about staying alive than my ears.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 PM   #19

Better to not need them and have them. Then need them and not have them. Probably beating a dead horse here, but really why not?

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #20

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Nothing wrong with being prepared, in fact I have ear plugs in my pickup, but not for that reason. They are there just in case I get to the range & realize my ear muffs are not in my range bag.

As for having the time to put them on, that would mean you have time to avoid the problem in the first place. Avoiding trouble is always the best solution.