Carry earplugs with your CWP?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry earplugs with your CWP?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Default Carry earplugs with your CWP?

I've been carrying since April, but just recently started carrying earplugs too.
I've got earplugs handy in both my cars. When I carry a 45, I also carry earplugs now too in my pocket.

I figure most situations would happen too fast to worry about plugs, but might as well be prepared for some incident where you have time to slip them on. I was thinking especially in the car, if a riot broke out on the street or whatever, I could probably get my gun ready condition 1 and put on some plugs too.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea, especially to stash in the car. Anyone else?

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

"i wish to point this out to the illustrious jury members, it was NOT self defense as the accused took the time to put in hearing protection. he clearly had plenty of time to plan his actions in the murder of the innocent victim who was just trying to turn his life around...."

i just wouldnt put it past a lefty prosecutor to argue that.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The situation jon points out is a biggie, and I totally see it the same way; however, it's not a bad idea as sometimes a little target practice of opportunity MAY present itself. Imagine if you will, BBQ at a friends house, he has a spacious little area, you may decide to set up some soda cans....

I would never even consider trying to use them in a SD situation.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:33 AM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

To add to what has been stated...in a life or death situation any action beyond life preservation can and will be used against you. If you have the time to put in ear protection then you are not in imminent danger. Other side of the argument is the extra 1 or 2 seconds it would take to retrieve and insert the plugs is better used getting a clear target.

Also, from what I have been told and have read the adrenalin rush that accompanies the "fight or flight" reflex will diminish your fine motor skills to the point where you will not be able to get the plugs in your ears...your reactions will be completely reactive and will depend on finely tuned muscle memory.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-23-2011, 02:51 AM   #5

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Ive never heard of such a thing,if you are ever in a situation where you have to use your firearm to defend yourself,you wont hear the gun go off anyway.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 12-23-2011, 04:56 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have had a hand full of ear plugs in my truck for at least 30 years, but I have lived in a noisy world.

HAVE FUN

Old 12-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtiller View Post
I have had a hand full of ear plugs in my truck for at least 30 years, but I have lived in a noisy world.
Nothing wrong with being prepared. That's really the main point.

In the latest issue of American Hunter (NRA Publication), there's a very good article on silencers. The point is that silencing guns is good for your hearing, good for hunters, etc. They point out that other tools like automobiles, the government regulates to be quieter. Why does the government insist that guns be loud unless you pay a big tax and go through red tape to get a silenser.

In the future, silencers will become mainstream normal accessories. Until then, carry earplugs.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 12-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #8

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You are over thinking in a life and death situation.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor

Nothing wrong with being prepared. That's really the main point.

In the latest issue of American Hunter (NRA Publication), there's a very good article on silencers. The point is that silencing guns is good for your hearing, good for hunters, etc. They point out that other tools like automobiles, the government regulates to be quieter. Why does the government insist that guns be loud unless you pay a big tax and go through red tape to get a silenser.

In the future, silencers will become mainstream normal accessories. Until then, carry earplugs.
Hunting and self defense are 2 very different scenarios for use of a gun.

Automobiles are around us all the time with their motors running and so we need mufflers to protect our hearing and to keep us all from going crazy from a loud noise otherwise. Guns may be around us all the time but they should not be going off all the time. If that's your situation then I would move.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #10

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Jon has a very realistic point, if you have time for ear plugs you have time to run. I keep ear plugs in my range bag and in my truck just for plinking, but after being married for so many years their is almost nothing I cant tune out LOL.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.