Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Carry earplugs with your CWP? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/carry-earplugs-your-cwp-53995/)

Marthor 12-23-2011 12:03 AM

Carry earplugs with your CWP?

I've been carrying since April, but just recently started carrying earplugs too.
I've got earplugs handy in both my cars. When I carry a 45, I also carry earplugs now too in my pocket.

I figure most situations would happen too fast to worry about plugs, but might as well be prepared for some incident where you have time to slip them on. I was thinking especially in the car, if a riot broke out on the street or whatever, I could probably get my gun ready condition 1 and put on some plugs too.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea, especially to stash in the car. Anyone else? :)

JonM 12-23-2011 12:36 AM

"i wish to point this out to the illustrious jury members, it was NOT self defense as the accused took the time to put in hearing protection. he clearly had plenty of time to plan his actions in the murder of the innocent victim who was just trying to turn his life around...."

i just wouldnt put it past a lefty prosecutor to argue that.

trip286 12-23-2011 12:41 AM

The situation jon points out is a biggie, and I totally see it the same way; however, it's not a bad idea as sometimes a little target practice of opportunity MAY present itself. Imagine if you will, BBQ at a friends house, he has a spacious little area, you may decide to set up some soda cans....

I would never even consider trying to use them in a SD situation.

Jpyle 12-23-2011 01:33 AM

To add to what has been stated...in a life or death situation any action beyond life preservation can and will be used against you. If you have the time to put in ear protection then you are not in imminent danger. Other side of the argument is the extra 1 or 2 seconds it would take to retrieve and insert the plugs is better used getting a clear target.

Also, from what I have been told and have read the adrenalin rush that accompanies the "fight or flight" reflex will diminish your fine motor skills to the point where you will not be able to get the plugs in your ears...your reactions will be completely reactive and will depend on finely tuned muscle memory.

MrWray 12-23-2011 01:51 AM

Ive never heard of such a thing,if you are ever in a situation where you have to use your firearm to defend yourself,you wont hear the gun go off anyway.

bigtiller 12-23-2011 03:56 AM

I have had a hand full of ear plugs in my truck for at least 30 years, but I have lived in a noisy world.

Marthor 12-23-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigtiller (Post 658048)
I have had a hand full of ear plugs in my truck for at least 30 years, but I have lived in a noisy world.

Nothing wrong with being prepared. That's really the main point. :)

In the latest issue of American Hunter (NRA Publication), there's a very good article on silencers. The point is that silencing guns is good for your hearing, good for hunters, etc. They point out that other tools like automobiles, the government regulates to be quieter. Why does the government insist that guns be loud unless you pay a big tax and go through red tape to get a silenser.

In the future, silencers will become mainstream normal accessories. Until then, carry earplugs.

JohnJak 12-23-2011 12:25 PM

You are over thinking in a life and death situation.

phburks 12-23-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthor

Nothing wrong with being prepared. That's really the main point. :)

In the latest issue of American Hunter (NRA Publication), there's a very good article on silencers. The point is that silencing guns is good for your hearing, good for hunters, etc. They point out that other tools like automobiles, the government regulates to be quieter. Why does the government insist that guns be loud unless you pay a big tax and go through red tape to get a silenser.

In the future, silencers will become mainstream normal accessories. Until then, carry earplugs.

Hunting and self defense are 2 very different scenarios for use of a gun.

Automobiles are around us all the time with their motors running and so we need mufflers to protect our hearing and to keep us all from going crazy from a loud noise otherwise. Guns may be around us all the time but they should not be going off all the time. If that's your situation then I would move.

levelcross 12-23-2011 12:59 PM

Jon has a very realistic point, if you have time for ear plugs you have time to run. I keep ear plugs in my range bag and in my truck just for plinking, but after being married for so many years their is almost nothing I cant tune out LOL.