Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry to dress or dress to carrry???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Dang what kind of rigs have you used? I have never had to change any way I walked or bent. I'll admit OWB is a little better when I'm playing music but other than that I really have no issue with IWB or OWB. I have a little Sig that I can pocket carry and I do some times but it has more to do with what I'm in the mood to carry than it is a movement of dressing choice.
But as I said earlier I do wear my clothes a little loose because I think a tight pair of pants is like a cheap hotel - - No ball room
I couldn't possibly tell you why one can carry comfortably a particular way while another cannot. I think it has a lot to do with tolerances and perception, as well as physical circumstance and dress.

I've tried a super tuck, a remora with and without sweat shield, and something else I can't recall the name of right now. They all, either themselves or through allowance of the gun to break the top, dug into my side like they were mining for gold. They wore so into my bones I swear I could feel the marrow bruising.

I tried different hours and sides, cross draw and standard. I even tried different guns. All the same. I don't even understand how you guys sit down with a gun back there. As soon as I move to squatting position my pant line starts going vertical, as does the gun along with it. Maybe I wear my pants lower than the rest, but when that happens there is absolutely no way possible to sit all the way back in any seat, and to do any sitting on a plastic or metal bench is laughable.

Anyway, it just don't suit me and never will, but I'm fine with pocket carry.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1630 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Living in South Fl, you almost have to Carry around your dress or be miserable most all the time!! Our casual dress is light clothing and shorts even the heavy cargo shorts can be brutal in the summer!! So I have to give a little in size and caliber to be comfortable carrying!! I carry either the LCP or big brother LC9 to conceal comfortably in the heat!! The 9 is usually good in most cases but the LCP is great on anything, I can clip the holster on swim trunks and throw a t-shirt on conceal nicely without printing!! So do most of you carry to dress or dress to carry?? And how much sacrifice is made in either direction?? Just Curious!!
I do both. But mostly I wear a 'gun cover' so that would be 'dress to carry!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #23

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

I think size is the most important factor here, of both gun and carrier. I mean, who couldn't concealed an LCP in any type of clothing besides Beach bods in today's skimp?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #24

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
I think size is the most important factor here, of both gun and carrier. I mean, who couldn't concealed an LCP in any type of clothing besides Beach bods in today's skimp?
My favorite beach bud>LCP

Old 06-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #25

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

We just matched a summer heat record set in 1918. The mercury hit a scorching 85 Degrees and humidity of 21 %. It is supposed to cool down in the next few days.

Open or concealed carry is legal no CCW required. Most summer days a shirt or light fly fishing vest will cover the handgun. Fly fishing is a popular summer past time.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #26

Liked 4553 Times on 2201 Posts
Likes Given: 1361

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
We just matched a summer heat record set in 1918. The mercury hit a scorching 85 Degrees and humidity of 21 %. It is supposed to cool down in the next few days.

Open or concealed carry is legal no CCW required. Most summer days a shirt or light fly fishing vest will cover the handgun. Fly fishing is a popular summer past time.
Fishing Vests, Photography Vests and Fanny Packs all SCREAM concealed handgun to those who are "in the know."

Fortunately... we all carry too... so carry on!

Tack
Old 06-15-2013, 02:25 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall
Living in South Fl, you almost have to Carry around your dress or be miserable most all the time!! Our casual dress is light clothing and shorts even the heavy cargo shorts can be brutal in the summer!! So I have to give a little in size and caliber to be comfortable carrying!! I carry either the LCP or big brother LC9 to conceal comfortably in the heat!! The 9 is usually good in most cases but the LCP is great on anything, I can clip the holster on swim trunks and throw a t-shirt on conceal nicely without printing!! So do most of you carry to dress or dress to carry?? And how much sacrifice is made in either direction?? Just Curious!!
I also live in south Florida I Carrie a Glock 23 in a Blackhawk holster with a extended mag,I just wear my shirts untucked and a little big.

Old 06-15-2013, 03:28 AM   #28

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonglock View Post
I also live in south Florida I Carrie a Glock 23 in a Blackhawk holster with a extended mag,I just wear my shirts untucked and a little big.
There ya go.

Yanno, back in NJ, it was such a NOISY place.

A cacophony of fire engines, ambulances,

police cruisers blaring a racket at all hours.

Everyone in my neighborhood, here in Florida,

owns and carries guns. It's quiet as a library. No

sireens screaming, no gunfire in the distance, etc.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #29

Liked 26 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Carry to dress or dress to carry?

Hello all. I live in PA and it gets pretty damn hot and muggy here. Today 89 with high humidity.
I visit my mom in south Fl probably going down in August this yr. I dress the same no matter where I am.
I carry not 1 but 2 Glocks in a Smart Carry (ambi-model). I wear pleated dress slacks and suspenders, so they are a bit looser and easy to access with either hand. I've been carrying with this method for many years. As the old saying goes, carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting not necessarily comfortable. The way I carry is very comfy for me and quite comforting.
I don't really care for the heat that much, and won't wear shorts, so it's long pants for me year round.
So in my case I suppose it's dress for carry all the time.
By the way, I carry either (2) G30SF's (45ACP) or (2) G38's (45 GAP), and I always carry 2 spare mags as well.
Each unto his own.
This July will be the start of my 40th year CCW or as we call it in PA a LTCF.
Good luck and always stay safe

NRA
GT (Member of Bull Dawgs Club/Big Dawgs Club)
GSSF
USCCA
DC
PAFOA
DEF. HANDGUNS
AMERICAN GUN OWNERS
CONCEALED CARRY
*Concealed means...Concealed!

Old 06-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 944 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I feel for you guys in the hot/wet south. The Pacific NW's climate is pretty mild in comparison to the point that I can be comfortable in a button down or golf shirt all year round, "just add jacket if raining", and blue jean/loafers occasionally swapped out for heavy cargo shorts.

I personally can not stand to have anything in a front pocket "pet peeve" and would not feel secure with a gun in a back pocket, "daughter managed to knock here new I Phone in to the toilet" packing it that way...

I will say that even though I've not carried in temps like S. Florida, I do think my method would work just as well there as it does here.

Belly Band... and no... not around the belly. Sling it low around your hips, slide the gun to your preferred IWB position, and button your shorts around it so they top out with bottom of the grip.

Been advising this for many years now and have gotten HUGE thanks from those that have tried it... It'll cost you about $15 for the BB to give it a shot.

Good Luck,

Tack
Thanks for rubbing it in, Tack.

I miss Washington. Absolutely beautiful.

We have two seasons here in Texas, summer and January.

95 degrees with 90%+ humidity is pretty common in Houston.