Carry to dress or dress to carrry??? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry to dress or dress to carrry???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2504 Times on 1427 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

Tampa-my friend carries a very small .25

in a holster under a loose shirt.

I carry full size-heat be damned.

It's either a cross-draw with a long

loose shirt covering, or a large belt pack.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:36 PM   #12

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I spent my first 52 years in florida and never will in cloth up to carry. I do nothing differnt now 26 years later than the first years. I worked in and around customs homes and tend to pocket carry at work and for me dressing up is still maybe a pair of dockers or columbia slacks and a botton down. Mostly tucked but sometimes a looser square bottom shirt. My cc ha changed over the years from a snubby to a kahr cm9 for pocket or a cw9 or tp40 for iwb.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 AM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I always have worn my clothes a bit loose. I just can't cant the feeling of clothes sticking to me. So it's pretty easy to fit all kinds of stuff concealed or open.

You think Fla in the summer is hot try playing drums on an outdoor stage in Ky in July-August. It's Africa hot! Tarzan don't like that kind of heat.

I've spent some time in Fla though., Around the Ft. Myers - Cape Coral area back when I was young and cool. That was pretty hot. If I remember right the day was hot but not near as humid as it got at night. I remember near winter time and locals where putting on jackets while I was trying to get naked...WEll..I was young then, so I was trying to get naked a lot. Weather really didn't have a lot to do with it other than an excuse

Anywhere on the southern coasts it gets pretty dang hot. I remember "Looziana" being more humid though.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #14

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I will dress around my gun only on days when I know its going to be very windy. Other than that its jeans and a loose untucked button down shirt year round. We get temps over 110 in the summer but the humidity is usually around 0-10% so it isn't that bad. I also work all day in the heat in a uniform that is the same so I'm used to it I guess.

Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. –Mark Twain

Old 06-11-2013, 03:36 AM   #15

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I spent most of my life in Texas, with weeks of 100+ degree weather, and carried the same as I did in winter, or here in PA. As has been mentioned, for casual wear a Tommy Bahama (or equalivanent) shirt with jeans or dockers; for really casual wear a denium shirt with the sleeves cut off, essentially making it a vest, over a t-shirt. If the dress code was a little more upscale, a belly band with the gun tucked under my armpit.

Usually carried either a .40 Firestar or a 1911.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I have never liked wearing my shirts tucked in. So I really didnt have to change to CC. I wear mosty T-shirts and Golf shirts.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #17

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

I carry front pocket year round.

I carry a heavy, medium framed 9mm in jeans and a midget 25 in shorts. I prefer to wear jeans when I can, and do so in hotter weather than most, but if I'm going to be outdoors for long periods of time in high heat I'm definitely going to be dressing accordingly!

So I guess you could say both, really, or neither. Climate can dictate my dress, which, in turn, governs my carry, however I always carry in the same place and position, which I do because of comfort and convenience.

Sure, it'd be more convenient, for a defensive situation, to carry IWB or OWB, but the extreme discomfort I get from it is utterly unacceptable to me. The inconvenience of having to alter my clothing options, the way I walk, sit and bend over is inconceivable.

In the end, my style hasn't changed one ounce since becoming a card holding carrier, as an overall, but I have had to alter where I carry my car keys because of these damn things I'll probably never need. I do have to change guns depending on condition. So yeah, to both, in a way.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #18

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Dang what kind of rigs have you used? I have never had to change any way I walked or bent. I'll admit OWB is a little better when I'm playing music but other than that I really have no issue with IWB or OWB. I have a little Sig that I can pocket carry and I do some times but it has more to do with what I'm in the mood to carry than it is a movement of dressing choice.
But as I said earlier I do wear my clothes a little loose because I think a tight pair of pants is like a cheap hotel - - No ball room

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #19

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Don't know what the issue really is .I lived in AZ Chandler and carried a Bersa mod.85 in cargo shorts and t or button down short sleve .Moved here to North Port Fla. in 2001 and continued to carry the same way just changed the pistol.No problem still comfy.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I live in S. Carolina, where it is never really cold, but by late May or early June it is in the 90's daily, 70's at night. In winter it bottoms out at about 30, with lotsa days in the 50's and 60's. My wife buys for me a bunch of T-shirts that are too tight to effectively cover a big gun, so when the weather is reasonably cool I wear a light jacket or sweatshirt over a Commander-size .45 or a Stoeger .40. When it is too hot for a jacket I either carry a Para Warthog under a "dress" shirt that is not tucked in, or now my new S&W Bodyguard .380 in a front pocket of my jeans (or sometimes both). So I guess I should say I dress for the gun and carry for what I have to wear. However, I NEVER wear a "dress".