Carry to dress or dress to carrry???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry to dress or dress to carrry???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Carry to dress or dress to carrry???

Living in South Fl, you almost have to Carry around your dress or be miserable most all the time!! Our casual dress is light clothing and shorts even the heavy cargo shorts can be brutal in the summer!! So I have to give a little in size and caliber to be comfortable carrying!! I carry either the LCP or big brother LC9 to conceal comfortably in the heat!! The 9 is usually good in most cases but the LCP is great on anything, I can clip the holster on swim trunks and throw a t-shirt on conceal nicely without printing!! So do most of you carry to dress or dress to carry?? And how much sacrifice is made in either direction?? Just Curious!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #2

Liked 2644 Times on 1193 Posts
Likes Given: 2551

I just looked up average Florida temps. Looks the same as Ohio in the summer. We have hot summers and high humidity I still wear jeans and t shirt with a light shirt over that for ccw. Of course we don't have to worry about printing here.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282
I just looked up average Florida temps. Looks the same as Ohio in the summer. We have hot summers and high humidity I still wear jeans and t shirt with a light shirt over that for ccw. Of course we don't have to worry about printing here.
This is not what this thread is about, but if you think the summers in Ohio are similar to So Fl, your mistaking!! Lived in both areas!! The heat and humidity are completely different down here despite what statistics say!!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5811 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

not a real issue here in wisconsin.

i will say this about the lcp... its a tough little bugger. was building up my gun cart for CAS and happened to get both pockets full of sawdust simply filling up every available crack nook and cranny of my lcp with it last weekend. wife and i were going to the range the next day so i said wtf lets see if it functions like that... well it fired 100 rounds flawless of fmj while chock full of saw dust.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2947 Times on 1711 Posts
Likes Given: 1774

Both. I have just recently purchased several pairs of shorts that allow me to pocket carry my LC9 without any prob. or print. But on the hottest days here in S.E. PA, I will still lighten up my wardrobe to pocket my .380. I considered adding one of the waistband clips to my .380, but decided I felt much safer with my CCW always in a holster.

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
Both. I have just recently purchased several pairs of shorts that allow me to pocket carry my LC9 without any prob. or print. But on the hottest days here in S.E. PA, I will still lighten up my wardrobe to pocket my .380. I considered adding one of the waistband clips to my .380, but decided I felt much safer with my CCW always in a holster.
That's pretty much how I roll!! I split the CC TIME ROUGHLY in half between my 9 and 380!! Today I'm gong to be out doors a lot in and out of the water!! So I just clip my 380 on my swim trunks with a t-shirt all and all is well!! Just have to remember to take it off before I jump in my pool- I'm a believer at trying to keep as normal and quality of living as possible and still carry.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Living in South Fl, you almost have to Carry around your dress or be miserable most all the time!! Our casual dress is light clothing and shorts even the heavy cargo shorts can be brutal in the summer!! So I have to give a little in size and caliber to be comfortable carrying!! I carry either the LCP or big brother LC9 to conceal comfortably in the heat!! The 9 is usually good in most cases but the LCP is great on anything, I can clip the holster on swim trunks and throw a t-shirt on conceal nicely without printing!! So do most of you carry to dress or dress to carry?? And how much sacrifice is made in either direction?? Just Curious!!
Florida heat can be brutal, which is why I decide to carry my backup as my primary in a Remora holster, which is guarantee to stay put inside a beltless pair of shorts. You can jump up and down and it won't budge.
remora.jpg  

Old 06-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #8

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Both, depending on the occasion. Normal dress is Docker Pants, t-shirt and a Tommy Bahama shirt. This allows me to carry a primary either IWB or OWB and a BUG in a wallet holster with ease and most of all comfort.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I mainly dress to be comfortable, since printing isnt an issue here in Indiana. If I print a lot Ill just OC tho. The summers here in southern Indiana can be pretty brutal, last year it was over 100 most of july and august with nearly 100% humidity. No way in hell am I gonna wear more than one shirt. One loose fitting t-shirt (I usually go for L), shorts, or jeans if Im working and tennis shoes or work boots.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 06-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #10

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
I feel for you guys in the hot/wet south. The Pacific NW's climate is pretty mild in comparison to the point that I can be comfortable in a button down or golf shirt all year round, "just add jacket if raining", and blue jean/loafers occasionally swapped out for heavy cargo shorts.

I personally can not stand to have anything in a front pocket "pet peeve" and would not feel secure with a gun in a back pocket, "daughter managed to knock here new I Phone in to the toilet" packing it that way...

I will say that even though I've not carried in temps like S. Florida, I do think my method would work just as well there as it does here.

Belly Band... and no... not around the belly. Sling it low around your hips, slide the gun to your preferred IWB position, and button your shorts around it so they top out with bottom of the grip.

Been advising this for many years now and have gotten HUGE thanks from those that have tried it... It'll cost you about $15 for the BB to give it a shot.

Good Luck,

Tack