carry ammo for the 380 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carry ammo for the 380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 04:58 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Which defines the .380. It's a great round because you can hide the pistol in your left nostril, not because you can drop a Grizzly with it at 150 yards. The slightly-built platforms just aren't built to shoot hot loads, they're built for concealment. Hollow points aren't going to get you the penetration you need, particularly if you hit bone. The name of the game is going Downtown, and any .380 round designed to slow down isn't your friend.
The total volume of the wound cavity is what matters, and in .380, it's my opinion that FMJ owns.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use Corbon DPX.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I keep my .380 back up gun loaded with Hornady Critical Defense loads. It seems to me that you would be handicapping yourself with hardcast bullet loads. Personally I'd want expansion, especially since we're talking about .380 that don't have an over abundance of "power" to begin with.
I'm with Stalkingbear on this one.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I've got hydra-shocks in mine.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #15

I also carry hydrashocks. They move the little P3AT around enough. Shooting +P out of there can't be good for follow up shots. Maybe if you practice with it a lot. However, shooting lots of +P through a keltec will probably wear it out quickly. Just my opinion.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 on the speer gold dot ammo!

Old 04-30-2010, 07:33 AM   #17

Here's some .380 ACP ammo facts you may find interesting...

Federal has a Law Enforcement proven 90-grain Hydra-Shok delivering 200foot-pounds of energy at the muzzle. Corbon's JHP speeds out of the barrel at nearly 1100 feet per second. Hornady's newest critical defense loads ensures uniform expansion with a flex-polymer-filled cavity that resists deforming due to clothing materials worn by an assailant.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:07 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I carry the Hornady Critical Defense in my XD9, but with 17 rounds in the gun alone, I can shoot from sunup until sundown. If the first 5 don't get through the vest, it's head-shots, throat-shots, junk-shots, ankle-shots... and then I pull another 16 out of my pocket.
With the .380 I have to figure on hitting bone, and if that happens a slow-moving hollow-point isn't going to do as much damage as it could otherwise, or as much as an FMJ would. And I just have 6 shots to get the job done.
In close, my aimpoint is the chin, as my target is the medulla oblongata, but that's during no-pressure practice. If I'm trying to shoot while crawling under my truck with two holes in my gut, I want something that has the best chance of making it to the spine and not splattering on a button or a zipper.
I'm not well-versed in ballistic data, but from what I've read, ball ammo in the .380 caliber stands the best chance of getting through the average body based on ballistic gel tests.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the main shortcoming of the .380 is penetration capability, so I'm willing to trade a larger, shallow crater for one which stands a better chance of hitting the central nervous system.
Just my opinion, and if I'm wrong I hope you'll let me know.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."