Can't Carry at Work
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Can't Carry at Work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can't Carry at Work

So, I have a job where I cannot carry at work and I realize that carrying will never become part of my "new life" if I don't pack everyday. So, I'll have to leave it in the car at work. Luckily, the area is secure, but in actuality, I shouldn't even have it on the premises. I also have kids in college and who is a teen that play sports in parks. So, no carrying in either place there. So, how do you properly secure the weapon in the vehicle? I really don't think the box with the cable is secure as the cable can be cut. I considered buying or building a real metal box to house the weapon in while it is parked in the vehicle and it would be permanently affixed to the floorboard with bolt through the floor. Any other options? Any real box suggestions? Or, should I just leave the weapon at home?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-03-2009, 02:11 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would definitely NOT leave the weapon at home, but that is me.

I FIRMLY believe that anyone that has the skills to change the outcome of a Spree Killer's evil intent, is SUPPOSED to do so by the agreement with Fate and The Boatman.

Okay, so, concealed in the vehicle options...

I still "unofficially" advocate the use of a backpack in ANY urban environment. It worked for me today and no one was the wiser.

Truck Vault is the number one option, BY FAR, but it's not cheap. I have been to their production facility and their product is well made and very safe.

Here are several choices that could be adapted with some ingenuity....

Let us know what you come up with, I would be interested to see what you end up with...

JD

Old 05-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The lock box with a cable is what I use, I can switch it between cars. The box it's self is pretty secure but I did replace the cable it came with by drilling a 1/2"" hole in the end of the box and intalling a 5/8" shank eye fastener and use a 1/2" cable bike lock. The cable can be cut but it will take bolt cutters not wire cutters. You can also drill a couple of holes in the box and mount to prementntly if you want to. Most car prowles are crimes of oportunity/smash and grabs as almost all cars have alarms so the bad guy is going after what he can get quick. If they steal the car they will have time to cut the cable but I expect even with a heavy duty custom box they will have time to break into it.

Alway try and make your car the one the bad guy will pass by for an easier target. Park in a high traffic & well lit areas, stow all items of value and packages out of sight, roll up all windows, lock all doors and arm the alarm system.

Good luck and Let us know what you decided to do.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #4
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

JD quote of the day

I FIRMLY believe that anyone that has the skills to change the outcome of a Spree Killer's evil intent, is SUPPOSED to do so by the agreement with Fate and The Boatman.

Well said sir

Old 05-03-2009, 02:27 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
JD quote of the day

Well said sir
Thanks brother - That is why I CARRY.

There was once a movie line that went something like "Not on my watch".

I firmly believe in the responsibility of someone with a skill set such as ours, to look out for those that are less knowledgable and probably Liberal in nature, because at the end of the day, innocent is still innocent and Evil is still Evil.

JD

Old 05-03-2009, 02:38 AM   #6

WDB, I think I recall your upgrade on another thread. Thanks. JD, the ConsoleVault is sweet! That is prolly the best alternative for most.

The area I work in is probably a place where the employees should be armed due to several reasons, but they are not. However, with proper training a serious event could be averted should some would be BG or B-crew want to cause harm and the employees were carrying. A hired security farce (no offense to highly trained and capable security personnel) just isn't going to cut it.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #7

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I have this friend............that firmly believes that concealed carry is exactly that. Being armed without evidence.

"He" claims if done correctly only the metal detectors know and "He" avoids all destinations equipped with them.

"He" finds it silly for the need to disarm when going to the Post Office, VA Clinic visits and other taboo destinations with restrictions but no detectors.

"He" avoids situations that would require him to present himself in court or other detector locations.

The two exceptions "He" has needed to alter this constant carry mode is Jury Duty and air transport.

Other than those two areas, don't piss "Him" off!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-03-2009, 02:53 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I have this friend............that firmly believes that concealed carry is exactly that. Being armed without evidence.

"He" claims if done correctly only the metal detectors know and "He" avoids all destinations equipped with them.

"He" finds it silly for the need to disarm when going to the Post Office, VA Clinic visits and other taboo destinations with restrictions but no detectors.

"He" avoids situations that would require him to present himself in court or other detector locations.

The two exceptions "He" has needed to alter this constant carry mode is Jury Duty and air transport.

Other than those two areas, don't piss "Him" off!
I think I know your friend VERY well.

"He" also does not carry if alcohol is certain to be consumed.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:20 AM   #9

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
I think I know your friend VERY well.

"He" also does not carry if alcohol is certain to be consumed.
I just check with "Him" and my bad, alcohol is definitely a third exception to "His" constant carry mode.

If you really know "Him" the party-hearty persona is really a facade that "He" likes to perpetuate, but seldom partakes! ("He" ask me to not mention that last part so don't tell "Him" you heard it here!)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-03-2009, 03:55 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I just check with "Him" and my bad, alcohol is definitely a third exception to "His" constant carry mode.

If you really know "Him" the party-hearty persona is really a facade that "He" likes to perpetuate, but seldom partakes! ("He" ask me to not mention that last part so don't tell "Him" you heard it here!)
I will not tell "him". This stays between you and me, Mr. Bigwords.