Can own handguns,can't get CCW - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Can own handguns,can't get CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 09:06 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
I live in MI and idk about that one. I believe you have to have a CCW to open carry.
If that were true,every hunter who has so much as squirrel hunted must have a CCW.Open carry is legal without a CCW.Besides,why would you need a license to conceal if you aren't concealing?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #82

Damn, NT, saw the thread was updated by you and hoped that you were posting to say you'd got your CCW. Hoping that things work out for you, mate.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:00 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf1066 View Post
Damn, NT, saw the thread was updated by you and hoped that you were posting to say you'd got your CCW. Hoping that things work out for you, mate.
Haven't even applied or tried yet.I just haven't had time,but I am calming down about the issue a bit.If I can't get one,oh well.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #84

No time. Sounds like me, somewhat. Would dearly love to join a pistol club but there's no point at present as I would be unable to guarantee meeting the attendance requirements to get my pistol licence - I'd just be wasting the money I spent on club fees on a handful of visits a year and using the club's pistols.

Once I get to a point that I can guarantee I'll be free to attend often enough to qualify (and then maintain it afterwards), I'll go for it. Until then, it's rifle shooting out at a friend's farm when I can get the time off and soft air pistols in the living room...

Old 03-20-2010, 03:40 PM   #85

Did I understand this correctly? Someone said something about "you should feel lucky you can even purchase a handgun" , and then went on to say that in California if you have a mental illness you can't even purchase any gun.
So... I live in California and I have a mental disability called Asperger's Syndrome and Major Depression. I have already compelated the hunter's saftey coarse years back, before I was diagnosed. Does this in turn mean it is legal for me to purchase for example multiple expensive hunting tag's for say... Deer ,Wild Boar ,or hmm lets see even a hunting tag for a Bear for that matter, but not legal for me to purchase a new handgun or any gun for that matter to use if a wounded hog charges me or a huge Bear that doesnt go down so easy? If that is infact the case then by all means this law certainly does not make me feel any safer. It fact I feel ripped off considering I had paid a fee for the hunter's saftey coarse. What do you suggest I go Bear hunting with, a butter knife perhaps ? I suppose bow hunting is an option but not a very viable one in my opinion. Or is a bow out of the question as well ? I would prefer to use a high powered rifle or AR-15/
Mini-30 and a colt 1911 .45 as back up, maybe even a knife incase a pig gets on top of me. Bear/Pig hunting with a bow/knife sounds more insane/dangerous than any law abiding citizen with hunting tags and a (pistol/rifle/shotgun/disability). I am not one to believe I can not purchase any new guns. Could someone please clarify this for me ? I may have missed something. I hope you all realize half of what I had to say was sarcasm. My disability certainly effects my daily life as well as quality of life and I have my reasons to be depressed, it certainly doesnt make me a criminal by any means. Lucky me I bought a 12 Ga. nearly as soon as I turned 18 and I also own a .308 bolt action rifle as well as multiple other firearms most of which I choose not to use at all because I view the majority of my firearms as family heirlooms. I would far rather prefer to purchase a New rifle and hand gun if possible soley for the purpose of being properly prepared for hunting wild pig.

Sorry to have bombed your post about CCW and all but that is my two cents on CA gun laws for the mentally disabled/ill. Again I may have missed something and could be going on about not being allowed to purchase a gun when really I could, I am not sure so someone please clarify this for me. It doesnt seem to add up that someone can legally obtain a hunters saftey certificate and use this certificate to buy hunting tags but then Not be allowed to purchase a gun. This is actualy the info I was searching for when I came accross your post. I need to know if I can buy the rifle and pistol I plan to purchase, In the state of California for the sole use of hunting, all while having a mental disability of Asperger's Syndrome and Major Depression.

If I am allowed to purchase a New handgun and Rifle then my bad for rambling on but honestly I am not even the least bit interested in what anyone thinks if I did look like a jackle or what not for rambling on. Anyhow please get back to me.

This is dissapointing to be thinking I might not be allowed to buy the proper tools to hunt safe, hand to hand combat with an angry Bear or Pig doesnt sound like a good time to me. All because I was born with a brain wired a little differantly. Hunting should be an equall opportunity spot for all to enjoy in a proper and safe fashion. I always wanted to harvest a wild boar and have a pig roast to share it with family. I would have a sence of pride in doing this. That is BS if I end up getting murdered by a hog while hunting because I dont have a good side arm. For those of you who are in fact hunting hogs with a blade, more power to you but I dont have brass balls.

cya all, I'm outty 500 for now!
PS: Wait haha, hand to hand combat with a bear does sound pretty fun to some degree
Or pretty badass, but not a risk I am willing to take.

Last edited by SomeGuy; 03-20-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #86

I have no idea of how California gun laws work.Here in Michigan your mental health records/social security reasons have no bearing on gun ownership,whether long gun or handgun.Only if your mental illness/disorder has been in the court system(judged insane/sent to a mental institution)can you be denied gun ownership here.If California has added BS on top of the federal laws that prevent you from ownership,I do sympathise,it isn't right for an idiot lawmaker to come up with bias reasons to stop law abiding citizens from protecting themselves.I hope you find the answers you are looking for and can buy more guns.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 04-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #87

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I live in Michigan,and have just recently got into handguns.I went down to the law enforcement agency,got 3 permits to purchase handguns,and got some,I love shooting,and got one gun specifically for self defense.Well,I thought about getting a CCW or CPL as it's called in Michigan,and found out that I can't get a carry permit because I have a mental illness.I have been in and out of doctors offices and counselors offices for years dealing with various issues,and I have been diagnosed officially with OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder)which,if you aren't familiar with it,is a condition in which one might count things in strange orders,or be compulsivly washing their hands etc.Well,here in Michigan,that constitutes "mental illness" and under one of the application questions it says yes or no "have mental illness reguardless of being treated".I have to say yes legally,which puts me at a "no" as far as getting a CPL"CCW".I am quite frustrated about it and don't know what to think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I think you should be glad you get to own a gun at all. Here in CA if you have any treated mental issues you can't even own a gun. They don't ask what illness and make exceptions for the less seriously affected. So be glad for what you have.
Sorry the libs dominate your state's congress. Move. Or...VOTE them OUT!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock2740 View Post
Sorry the libs dominate your state's congress. Move. Or...VOTE them OUT!!!
I would have to agree with you glock2740. I do not think I could live in a state that has laws like that. You can buy a weapon but can not carry one for defense. Sorry, I would move or vote them out.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:23 AM   #89

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I could not fathom living in a state that was not gun friendly. I would move in a hurry to somewhere like Florida, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma,etc....

Old 04-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
I could not fathom living in a state that was not gun friendly. I would move in a hurry to somewhere like Florida, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma,etc....
I could not see leaving the state I love to be in and where all my family is just to be able to carry a weapon,and beating the law is next to impossible seeing as I have recieved disability for my mental illness,so I have to deal with the hand i'm dealt.Without a CCW I still have the right to open carry here,and conceal carry on my own property,so I will exercise the rights I do have.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves