Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Can own handguns,can't get CCW

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigByrd47119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,401
Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
And the idiocracy of it all is that anyone at all who can legally posses a firearm,can carry it openly in Michigan.I can,without a carry permit,buy a leg strap holster,strap the gun to my leg and waltz around town,with the legal right to defend myself with it,and there is no "mental" requirement for owning handguns here,you must only fill in on the gun license that you have never been "involuntarily" committed to a mental hospital.You can literally have schizophrenia,lite kittens on fire,talk to Elvis and check yourself into the psych ward and still be legally able to purchase a handgun and open carry it in Michigan.But,on the other hand,if you so much as have had slight depression diognosed by an MD,you cannot get a CCW.All this makes little sense to me.
It dosnt make sence to anyone here from what Im seeing. On the other hand, if you were to take the hard road which would involve a lawyer and all the paperwork, you might find you help many many other people in your same exact situation. This really isnt any diffrent then the fact that per Michigan law, at 20, I can purchase a handgun from a private owner (with purchase permit of course) but I would be unable to purchase the ammunition for it! I think it would be worth at least looking into. Not to be a broken record, but go to the range and talk to the proprieter about finding a 2A educated lawyer. See where it goes from there. It surely cant hurt!
__________________

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

BigByrd47119 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ninjatoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Saginaw,Michigan
Posts: 1,427
Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

I have wondered why you can buy a handgun here at 18 through private sellers,yet can't buy ammo.Even at walmart they ask if the .22 ammo you are buying is for handgun or rifle,and when I say handgun,even at 29,they jump to ID me.The only way around it is to buy a .22 at 18 and buy .22 ammo where they don't ask if it's for a handgun,or just simply lie when you buy .22 ammo,which I don't condone,but what other options are there.Having an "adult"lol,buy pistol ammo.I remember when I was a kid I would just walk into the hardware store and buy ammo no questions asked.And why,oh my why,are there so many restrictions on handguns,I think it's said that 80% of all handgun shootings end up to be non fatal,as where at 18,anyone can,without so much as a permit,buy semi auto AKs and other high capacity semi auto rifles.The damage that could cause.I say reverse the handgun to semi auto rifle laws,and vice versa,and we will be getting somewhere.

__________________
ninjatoth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I live in Michigan,and have just recently got into handguns.I went down to the law enforcement agency,got 3 permits to purchase handguns,and got some,I love shooting,and got one gun specifically for self defense.Well,I thought about getting a CCW or CPL as it's called in Michigan,and found out that I can't get a carry permit because I have a mental illness.I have been in and out of doctors offices and counselors offices for years dealing with various issues,and I have been diagnosed officially with OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder)which,if you aren't familiar with it,is a condition in which one might count things in strange orders,or be compulsivly washing their hands etc.Well,here in Michigan,that constitutes "mental illness" and under one of the application questions it says yes or no "have mental illness reguardless of being treated".I have to say yes legally,which puts me at a "no" as far as getting a CPL"CCW".I am quite frustrated about it and don't know what to think.
I would be frustrated too. I have mild epileptic seizures, and I recently got on medication for it, haven't had a full on seizure before, just small jerks and twitches. Have not had a single jerk or twitch since I've been on my medication. Conceal carry is illegal across the board here in Wisconsin, but I am afraid that should conceal carry be legal by shall-issue permits, they will deny me too because of that. I would not think that what I have constitutes "mental illness," then again it isn't OCD either. I don't know on this one. It's a tough call. You could sue and argue discrimination, however, the way they see it, OCD people have mood swings. As the Democrats say, "You might go nuts." But if I were the judge, and you were on medication to control it, and haven't had any of the OCD symptoms, I don't see why you should be denied a permit. Otherwise, I'd say do some backdoor deals and get a fake or backdated permit or just carry illegally. I bet there are all sorts of people who carry illegally here in my state that never get caught. I'm not one of them, but I'm sure it goes on. Hope that makes you feel better. Peace.
__________________
hogger129 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I have wondered why you can buy a handgun here at 18 through private sellers,yet can't buy ammo.Even at walmart they ask if the .22 ammo you are buying is for handgun or rifle,and when I say handgun,even at 29,they jump to ID me.The only way around it is to buy a .22 at 18 and buy .22 ammo where they don't ask if it's for a handgun,or just simply lie when you buy .22 ammo,which I don't condone,but what other options are there.Having an "adult"lol,buy pistol ammo.I remember when I was a kid I would just walk into the hardware store and buy ammo no questions asked.And why,oh my why,are there so many restrictions on handguns,I think it's said that 80% of all handgun shootings end up to be non fatal,as where at 18,anyone can,without so much as a permit,buy semi auto AKs and other high capacity semi auto rifles.The damage that could cause.I say reverse the handgun to semi auto rifle laws,and vice versa,and we will be getting somewhere.
Yeah that kinda would irk me too. If it were me, I'd just say it's for a rifle. Then they don't ID you. Who cares if you lie? It isn't like they are wired and are going to prosecute you if you are lieing.

I agree that this is one of those stupid laws that are supposed to make people feel more safe when in fact it doesn't really do anything at all but piss people off.

I disagree that we should place more strict laws on semi-auto rifles. I am sure that you oppose outright banning them, but when common criminals hold up a liquor store or a gas station or commit other crimes where firearms are involved, rarely are they ever using assault rifles. A good majority of the time, they are carrying handguns. The way I see it, the only people who do robberies or other crimes with assault rifles are professionals, carreer criminals.

The problem with this is no different from any other handgun or gun law. Crime is just a sad fact of life that happens, and instead of protecting people and stopping crime, they tighten up the grip and destroy the rights of otherwise law-abiding people like you or me. If crime rages out of control, arm citizens. It doesn't cost the state money to arm citizens like it does to put more cops on the street. 10,000 armed citizens scare criminals more than 1,000 armed police officers.
__________________

Last edited by hogger129; 09-13-2009 at 11:42 PM.
hogger129 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert NC View Post
Have you tried fighting through your local gun organization yet? Saw from your post back in July that there was at least one organization that was really pro gun.
Exactly. Try writing to the NRA or something and see if they will help you.
__________________
hogger129 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BigByrd47119's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 3,401
Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I have wondered why you can buy a handgun here at 18 through private sellers,yet can't buy ammo.Even at walmart they ask if the .22 ammo you are buying is for handgun or rifle,and when I say handgun,even at 29,they jump to ID me.The only way around it is to buy a .22 at 18 and buy .22 ammo where they don't ask if it's for a handgun,or just simply lie when you buy .22 ammo,which I don't condone,but what other options are there.Having an "adult"lol,buy pistol ammo.I remember when I was a kid I would just walk into the hardware store and buy ammo no questions asked.And why,oh my why,are there so many restrictions on handguns,I think it's said that 80% of all handgun shootings end up to be non fatal,as where at 18,anyone can,without so much as a permit,buy semi auto AKs and other high capacity semi auto rifles.The damage that could cause.I say reverse the handgun to semi auto rifle laws,and vice versa,and we will be getting somewhere.
The main reason for this as I understand it, is the issue of conclement. You cant REALLY conceal a AK or AR. The main reason I didnt get the Hi-Point 9mm carbine was becuase of the fear of being hassled about ammo (I got the Ruger 10/22 instead)! However, most people would look at me and say Im late 20's earl 30's so I dont get hassled with .22. Which of course means I probably COULD have gotten away with buying 9mm and not getting too hassled.
__________________

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

BigByrd47119 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:26 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
It dosnt make sence to anyone here from what Im seeing.
Indeed. But, it does make perfect bureaucratic sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
And the idiocracy of it all is that anyone at all who can legally posses a firearm,can carry it openly in Michigan.I can,without a carry permit,buy a leg strap holster,strap the gun to my leg and waltz around town,with the legal right to defend myself with it,
That's how it is here, too. I took my safety course and now must apply for my CCW at the local police in my tiny little town. I'm a little worried already that I'll be hassled though there is no legal reason to do so. Those things still happen in tiny, forgotten towns, it's not just in the movies. So, if I'm temporarily denied my right to a CCW permit, it will still be perfectly legal for me to stroll down the sidewalk in my town wearing a tactical vest with all my pistols and clips hanging off of it, along with an AR15 strapped to my back. I can't figure the sense in that.
__________________
themyst is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I live in Michigan,and have just recently got into handguns.I went down to the law enforcement agency,got 3 permits to purchase handguns,and got some,I love shooting,and got one gun specifically for self defense.Well,I thought about getting a CCW or CPL as it's called in Michigan,and found out that I can't get a carry permit because I have a mental illness.I have been in and out of doctors offices and counselors offices for years dealing with various issues,and I have been diagnosed officially with OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder)which,if you aren't familiar with it,is a condition in which one might count things in strange orders,or be compulsivly washing their hands etc.Well,here in Michigan,that constitutes "mental illness" and under one of the application questions it says yes or no "have mental illness reguardless of being treated".I have to say yes legally,which puts me at a "no" as far as getting a CPL"CCW".I am quite frustrated about it and don't know what to think.

I know exactly how you feel; I also have been diagnosed with PTSD from being a victim of childhood abuse and later crimes, but I am not an increased threat to anyone-- in fact I'm less violent than almost anyone; I am strictly against violence against anyone, but that includes myself and MY right to be safe. Mainly I want to be able to protect myself against dangerous people and animals (like vicious dogs), and I believe that I have th same right to be safe as anyone else. It's horrible to think that the law still caters to such public ignorance and hysteria-- it's as if things haven't progressed much since the Salem Witch-trials or The Inquisition! People think they live in a free society, but then you realize that Ben Franklin was right: i.e. "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, but liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." In fact that's quite ironic in the case of dis-arming people, so that they become lambs to the proverbial "slaughter."

Meanwhile my brother struts around with his CCW, despite being practically sociopathic and bi-polar, simply because he's fully employed and doesn't subject himself to a diagnosis of any kind. Then he has the nerve to talk down to me that "you're an emotional person who shouldn't have a gun." (I didn't speak to him for a long time after that, I was so ticked off).

So if I carry a handgun, I have to carry it openly. My question is, am I even allowed to get a permit to purchase a handgun? Or does that permit-application ALSO have the same "mental illness" restriction?
Thanks.
__________________
ThomasAnderson is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ninjatoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Near Saginaw,Michigan
Posts: 1,427
Liked 116 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Quote:
My question is, am I even allowed to get a permit to purchase a handgun? Or does that permit-application ALSO have the same "mental illness" restriction?
I'm not sure where you live,so I can't be sure on the right answer,but here in Michigan,there are no restrictions on handgun sales based solely on a mental illness.Only if you have been legally judged as insane,have been ordered by a judge to a mental hospital,or have been found not guilty of a crime by reason of insanity can you be denied a handgun purchase permit.You can have the worst of the worst mental illnesses,and commit yourself to a mental hospital and still be able to get a handgun.I have been in a hospital years ago when times got bad for me,and I still see a psychiatrist regularly and recieve social security for the OCD,and I can still buy handguns.It's only on the concealed weapons applications do they become more blunt and try to deny you based on a simple mental illness.
__________________
ninjatoth is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
I'm not sure where you live,so I can't be sure on the right answer,but here in Michigan,there are no restrictions on handgun sales based solely on a mental illness.Only if you have been legally judged as insane,have been ordered by a judge to a mental hospital,or have been found not guilty of a crime by reason of insanity can you be denied a handgun purchase permit.You can have the worst of the worst mental illnesses,and commit yourself to a mental hospital and still be able to get a handgun.I have been in a hospital years ago when times got bad for me,and I still see a psychiatrist regularly and recieve social security for the OCD,and I can still buy handguns.It's only on the concealed weapons applications do they become more blunt and try to deny you based on a simple mental illness.

THANK you, that's what I wanted to know.
I was worried that while we can open-carry, they won't let us PURCHASE one.
I felt so alone and hated in this, it's good to know I'm not the only one.

I think that we should also find everyone who's affected by this discriminatory and unconstitutional law, and likewise everyone else who wants to concealed-carry, and file a lawsuit to the Michigan Supreme Court in order to have the discriminatory law overturned!
__________________
ThomasAnderson is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
New to Handguns EmilyATL Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 30 09-24-2011 02:07 PM
Top 10 Handguns? GunMats General Handgun Discussion 34 06-06-2010 08:50 PM
.45 acp and 9mm handguns painted_klown The Club House 13 07-16-2008 08:15 PM
Handguns in MD yingpin Legal and Activism 3 01-11-2008 03:56 AM