Can own handguns,can't get CCW - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Can own handguns,can't get CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #91
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

You have to respect your choice to stand by what you believe in ninjatoh. Who knows, one of these days you state will wake up and remember that we American's have rights.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:58 PM   #92

It is unfortunate about the laws, maybe there is a way to get a waiver based on your condition, A previous poster suggested the gun clubs, that sounds like a good idea

i

Old 04-14-2010, 04:15 AM   #93

[QUOTE=.All this makes little sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Makes LITTLE sense??? It makes NO sense to me. Im kind of in the same boat. I was convicted of a misdemeanor. I can get a permit to purchase, in fact I did today and I can open carry, but I have to wait 8 years to get a CCW permit!!! So what im doing is looking at getting a ccw from a state that offers permits to nonresidents, since Michigan recognizes permits from all other states.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #94

Liked 196 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Even though Michigan requires pistols to be registered and a purchase permit,the state has very little to do with whether someone may possess firearms or not,but when it comes to conceal permits,the state is in 100% control,so they come up with whatever stupid rules they want.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 04-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #95

Liked 5011 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

This is one of the unfortunate results of living in a "democrat" heavy state such as Michigan. The labor unions in that state seem to have a pretty firm grip on the political landscape and the state tends to go for the more liberal politician or issue in most elections.

MI sounds much worse than WA but your only half way to becoming Kalifornian's!

How are those progressive values working out for you all?

I'm no fan of the GOP either but they do tend to be more supportive of pro gun positions.

Since you say your a "new" gun owner I'll assume your also just waking up to the reality of gun politics and urge you to join the NRA.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:02 AM   #96
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11 View Post
Makes LITTLE sense??? It makes NO sense to me. Im kind of in the same boat. I was convicted of a misdemeanor. I can get a permit to purchase, in fact I did today and I can open carry, but I have to wait 8 years to get a CCW permit!!! So what im doing is looking at getting a ccw from a state that offers permits to nonresidents, since Michigan recognizes permits from all other states.
I am wondering how that will work for you to get a CCW in a state that you do not live in. I thought that was not possible. If I remember correctly here in Az you have to be a resident to get a CCW. But I may be wrong.

It is weird how you can purchase a weapon but can not get a CCW. Makes no sense at all. But with the government who knows.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:25 AM   #97

Liked 5011 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
I am wondering how that will work for you to get a CCW in a state that you do not live in. I thought that was not possible. If I remember correctly here in Az you have to be a resident to get a CCW. But I may be wrong.

It is weird how you can purchase a weapon but can not get a CCW. Makes no sense at all. But with the government who knows.
P Wolf, you are mistaken...

I'm a WA resident and hold both WA & Oregon CCW's. I also know that AZ will issue to non residents because I looked into it 2 years ago when I was working in Scottsdale managing a construction project.

I believe Florida is the best way to go because it's the most recognized "by other states", CCW that I'm aware of and fairly easy to get.

One problem my be whether or not a state requires you to HAVE a CCW in your own state before they'll issue you a non resident CCW. I don't recall if Oregon asked and it's probably different state by state.

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 04-15-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:44 AM   #98

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would do as the gun rights group guy suggested, ask your doc if by the states definition your condition is an illness or not and ask him for a letter stating the same(if the doc finds the def in your favor that is), and submit your application, if a doctor says it is'nt an illness then it is'nt an illness and no need to check the yes box. If they question it then you whip out the letter, just be sure to be honest and straight forward with your doc about why you want the letter and how it may have to be used, you don't want to put him on the spot. Good luck

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #99
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
P Wolf, you are mistaken...

I'm a WA resident and hold both WA & Oregon CCW's. I also know that AZ will issue to non residents because I looked into it 2 years ago when I was working in Scottsdale managing a construction project.

I believe Florida is the best way to go because it's the most recognized "by other states", CCW that I'm aware of and fairly easy to get.

One problem my be whether or not a state requires you to HAVE a CCW in your own state before they'll issue you a non resident CCW. I don't recall if Oregon asked and it's probably different state by state.
That is why I included the "I may be wrong" part.

This is off the Az DPS web site about Getting your CCW.

Can non-residents be issued an Arizona permit?
Yes. You must be a resident of Arizona or a U.S. citizen.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:00 AM   #100

Wow, That is crazy that you can own, but can't carry. Sorry to here that.