Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (
-   -   Can own handguns,can't get CCW (

ninjatoth 09-10-2009 11:17 PM

Can own handguns,can't get CCW
I live in Michigan,and have just recently got into handguns.I went down to the law enforcement agency,got 3 permits to purchase handguns,and got some,I love shooting,and got one gun specifically for self defense.Well,I thought about getting a CCW or CPL as it's called in Michigan,and found out that I can't get a carry permit because I have a mental illness.I have been in and out of doctors offices and counselors offices for years dealing with various issues,and I have been diagnosed officially with OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder)which,if you aren't familiar with it,is a condition in which one might count things in strange orders,or be compulsivly washing their hands etc.Well,here in Michigan,that constitutes "mental illness" and under one of the application questions it says yes or no "have mental illness reguardless of being treated".I have to say yes legally,which puts me at a "no" as far as getting a CPL"CCW".I am quite frustrated about it and don't know what to think.

Jo da Plumbr 09-10-2009 11:22 PM

I think you should be glad you get to own a gun at all. Here in CA if you have any treated mental issues you can't even own a gun. They don't ask what illness and make exceptions for the less seriously affected. So be glad for what you have.

ninjatoth 09-10-2009 11:40 PM

I think it's sad they put all mental conditions into one class.That's like putting ALL physical conditions into one class,saying slight asthma is the same as full out quadraplegic.The funny thing is,Michigan is an open carry legal state.They have no interest in training people like me in a CCW class in safety,yet allow me to open carry a handgun with no training at all.Michigan needs to reform this to be more like Texas.Down there they have dementia disorders separated from non dementia illnesses.If I lived there i'd have my CCW already.

themyst 09-11-2009 04:38 AM

Sorry to hear you are having troubles with getting your CPL. I never gave those questions much thought because I never had to deal with it. However, you really made me think about the way Michigan deals with it so broadly. Has anyone ever been saddened for a few days about the passing of a loved one? Or loss of a job? That's technically called Situational Depression or Adjustment Disorder if you can believe it. Most info on this claims that you will be referred to a mental health doctor for treatment, though this kind of 'depression' is temporary. So, according to Michigan then, (according to your claim of under one of the application questions it says yes or no "have mental illness reguardless of being treated) anyone who technically ever had a sad thing happen to them in life would not qualify for a CPL (even if they didn't see a doctor for it) :eek: . No, that really doesn't make sense.

Jess 09-11-2009 10:16 AM

Opinion #7189

If you didn't see a doc it didn't happen in michigan. You have to have a diagnosis to be rejected. It stinks. I think it should be up to our gun boards in combination with a consulting physician.

Robert NC 09-11-2009 10:57 AM

Have you tried fighting through your local gun organization yet? Saw from your post back in July that there was at least one organization that was really pro gun.

mr1911 09-12-2009 06:03 PM

I think that if you want to spend the time and money to fight it, you could win the right to get a carry permit eventualy, but this just shows why being TOO HONEST and transparent isn't allways smart.
The problem here is that the responsable people like ninja are good enough to be honest, but the people that are hearing voices and setting kittens on fire aren't going to voluntarily declair they're mentaly ill on paper!

Texanbybirth 09-13-2009 04:30 AM

Can you get a non-resident CHL in another state that is recognized in Michigan? TX and FL are not recognized in MI, but maybe there is another state nearby.

Franciscomv 09-13-2009 04:50 PM

In Argentina you need to get tested by both a physician and a psicologist (a psichiatrist can run both sets of evaluations) before you apply for your gun permit (to own, not to carry), and have to be tested again when you apply for a carry permit. As long as they consider that you're fit to own/carry a gun, you're fine. Not that this in any help to you. :(

Anyway, we had a few cases at my club with disabled people (a guy who'd lost an arm) that had some trouble getting their paperwork from the government. They decided to hire a lawyer and it was eventually sorted out. So my advice would be to find a good lawyer who knows gun laws, ask around at your range or through one of the pro-gun organizations in your area. Ask him whether he thinks you've got a shot (bad pun, I know), in which case you'll need to weigh the cost, red tape and paperwork against the odds of success and decide if you consider it a worthwhile investment (face it, it'll cost you time and money).

Good luck!

ninjatoth 09-13-2009 09:36 PM

And the idiocracy of it all is that anyone at all who can legally posses a firearm,can carry it openly in Michigan.I can,without a carry permit,buy a leg strap holster,strap the gun to my leg and waltz around town,with the legal right to defend myself with it,and there is no "mental" requirement for owning handguns here,you must only fill in on the gun license that you have never been "involuntarily" committed to a mental hospital.You can literally have schizophrenia,lite kittens on fire,talk to Elvis and check yourself into the psych ward and still be legally able to purchase a handgun and open carry it in Michigan.But,on the other hand,if you so much as have had slight depression diognosed by an MD,you cannot get a CCW.All this makes little sense to me.

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:07 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.