Can anyone tell me anything about "gun belts"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Can anyone tell me anything about "gun belts"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Can anyone tell me anything about "gun belts"

Hear about "gun belts" but I just use my regular belt to carry. Is there really that big a difference? As my regular belt functions well. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #2

Gun belts are suppose to fit the holster and it isn't suppose to move like it does on a regular belt but like you my regular belt works just fun so I don't see a reason to get get one

Old 04-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

A gun belt is typically reinforced with a central band or some sort of plastic. My nra carry belt is so sturdy that I can undue it with my 1911 on and it will not shift or droop in any way.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:27 PM   #4

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineguy View Post
Hear about "gun belts" but I just use my regular belt to carry. Is there really that big a difference? As my regular belt functions well. Thanks.
A good belt can make all the difference in the world in comfort and keeping your gun secure. The lighter and smaller your gun the less need for a better belt. How you carry also factors in here.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #5

Thanks guys!!!! Didn't really see a need for a new belt.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #6

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There most definitely is a difference in carrying with a good gun belt. Some belts have plastic stiffeners that insert into a sleeve in the belt, and others utilize a couple of laminations of good, thick leather (my preference). You can select varying widths to accommodate a particular holster's clips or loops.

I have ordered a couple of belts from here over the years, and have been very pleased with their products.

http://thebeltman.net/

CrossBreed Holsters also makes a very good belt from what I hear.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/

If you're carrying an LCP in a holster, a good gun belt probably won't make a discernible difference. Anything with a little "heft" to it and you'll notice a big difference.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 04-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #7

Liked 280 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 31

It does depend on your handgun and holster you use if you need a big boy belt. If you do also check with an area law enforment supply house. They do sell most items to the public and can have some great prices.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #8

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I've been wondering the same thing myself. I'm not sure I want to plunk down $50 on a belt.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #9

Liked 280 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Know I did buy a really good belt at a leo supply for when I carry a revolver in the woods but I also did not pay but half of that 50 bucks for a double thick double sticked belt.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 281 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Mine came from El Paso Saddlery (sp) and from a laymans POV, it seems to have 4 rows of stitching and it is very, very stiff. It cost me $50-60 back in the late eighties. Current prices are higher.

Cabelas offers a double thick tactical belt that may include plastic reinforcement. It's about $30. If you find quality leather that will take the weight for less - buy it. They last forever and the only "issue" is if you get too fat to wear it.