Caliber Wars? Seriously? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Caliber Wars? Seriously?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

G19, 17rd mag for the house, standard 15 for Cc.

forumrunner_20120826_143055.jpg

Old 08-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

as long as there are different calibers for handguns, there will be this debate on which is better. smaller and faster, bigger and slower, more magazine capacity vs. less but larger caliber, ect.,,,,

what really matters is, simply being able to place accurate shots to a target. regardless of the caliber used. can't hit accurately if the gun doesn't fit your hand well or if you can't control it's recoil. shoot the largest caliber you can control and place accurate shots with. then practice, practice and then practice some more on a regular basis.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #23

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta

I don't know why the Marines are moving to .45 maybe they have fallen for the .45 myth. All i do know is they are the only force army or police world wide that are moving to .45 maybe they know something the rest of us don't.
Why do you think someone hit in the thigh with a .45 is more likely to go down than someone hit with a 9mm. ?
Because it hits harder with more force behind it because it's a bigger slower bullet. Hence why steel plates move a lot more when hit compared to a 9mm. So in a heated gun battle when adrenaline is flowing getting hit with the .45 in the leg in my opinion will have a greater chance of knocking them down to the ground than a 9mm. This is only my opinion from my own experience shooting steel plates out back. Like I said I wouldn't feel underpowered with a 9mm but if I had the choice it would be the .45.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #24

simply put, if a person can control the recoil and shoot it accurately, then larger is always better. 45 ACP is proven round with over 100 years of a proven record. IMO the 45 is better than the 9mm, but only if you can control it accurately. if the biggest you can shoot accurately is the 9mm, then for you the 9mm is better than the 45. some people can shoot a full size pistol in 45 and have a problem with it in a compact size pistol. a person needs to evaluate their needs and what works for them on an individual basis.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 413 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFree7 View Post
Because it hits harder with more force behind it because it's a bigger slower bullet. Hence why steel plates move a lot more when hit compared to a 9mm. So in a heated gun battle when adrenaline is flowing getting hit with the .45 in the leg in my opinion will have a greater chance of knocking them down to the ground than a 9mm. This is only my opinion from my own experience shooting steel plates out back. Like I said I wouldn't feel underpowered with a 9mm but if I had the choice it would be the .45.
Fair enough its up to the individual what caliber they want to carry. It reminds me of a program was on tales of the gun i think it was called. One so called expert when talking about the .45 said that a hit from a .45 any wear on the body would be enough to stop a person. One other demonstration by the American army showed a .45 knocking down a steel plate. It then showed a rifle bullet going trough the plate the conclusion that the .45 had more stopping power. Which we all know is BS just some of the rubbish that's out there regarding the .45.

Last edited by manta; 08-26-2012 at 07:50 PM.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 973 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

Truth be known it's the destructive power and energy delivered on target that makes the difference. Simply put some calibers deliver better than others. However specific ventalation of the thorasic tree,the brain, and the pelvic ring works with any caliber .

I tend to go with my formula for capacity,velocity,bearing surface of projectile,weight,and placement on target. Be it 22WMR to my beloved 41mag.

For those who have shared that they have experience in killing human threats,I'm glad you made it through the event/s.... Not to many like to share that with strangers.How else are we to learn?

Become steel or get cut.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Fair enough its up to the individual what caliber they want to carry. It reminds me of a program was on tales of the gun i think it was called. One so called expert when talking about the .45 said that a hit from a .45 in the thumb would be enough to stop a person. One other demonstration by the American army showed a .45 knocking down a steel plate. It then showed a rifle bullet going trough the plate the conclusion that the .45 had more stopping power. Which we all know is BS just some of the rubbish that's out there regarding the .45.
rubbish regarding the 45? are you really serious? the 45 has an over 100 year proven track record of being a very capable round. bigger has always been better if the person can use it effectively. the 45 can cause much tissue damage and is more effective than the 9mm, as long as the person can use it effectively. the main factor is the person using the firearm and their capability with that firearm.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #28
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

On one hand, I carry the biggest, most powerful handgun allowed by my agency (10mm). I shot it well (B-class Limited USPSA) and can handle the recoil w/o any issues. I feel you should carry the largest caliber you can shoot well. If you are good with a 9mm and OK with a .40 or .45, carry the 9mm because shot placement is key.

On the other hand, there are times when ideal torso shots are not available/practical or likely to be effective (edged weapon defense). I prefer a larger caliber for the ability to break down the structure of the opponent (pelvic shots) to stop them. A good 9mm bullet through a vital area like the heart, liver, brain/spinal column is just as effective as the same shot from anything larger.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #29

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta

You are joking i hope. If you can guarantee to hit never mind stop someone with two shots. When rounds are coming back at you i think you are kidding your self.
Unless you find yourself in an extremely rare situation, you will not be having a shoot out on the streets where you will need a large supply of ammo.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 08-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 413 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
rubbish regarding the 45? are you really serious? the 45 has an over 100 year proven track record of being a very capable round. bigger has always been better if the person can use it effectively. the 45 can cause much tissue damage and is more effective than the 9mm, as long as the person can use it effectively. the main factor is the person using the firearm and their capability with that firearm.

Rubbish as regards test showing that the .45 had more knock down power than the 30-06 rifle bullet because the .45 knocked down the plate and the 30-06 went trough it. I have no doubt how effective the .45 can be. But it effectiveness can be exaggerated sometimes.