Caliber Wars? Seriously?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Caliber Wars? Seriously?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Caliber Wars? Seriously?

Why does everyone engage in arguments about which caliber is best? I carry a G19 as my off-duty weapon, and carried a G17 on duty for a long time before our department started issuing us the G22. The other day a guy inform me that carrying my 9mm was pointless because the .45 he carries will take someone down in one hit. I then asked, "How many people have you shot with your .45?", He replied "Well...none", My response: "Well I've only used my 9mm in real-world once, and you can feel free to ask him if he thought the 9mm was weak, but you'll have to dig him up and do some serious life saving steps before he will be able to talk.", He had nothing else to say and left.

I know the "caliber war" has been done to death, and I typically don't get into it...but seriously people. Just train, train, train, and train some more.

Sorry...late night and I'm bored since I'm off and usually work overnights...so I though I'd post...I'm sure it will ruffle some feathers. Let's try and not argue

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #2

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Everyone has opinions. With opinions, you will have arguments and disagreements.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

It's all about shot placement. But I still prefer the knockdown power and bigger diameter of the .45. After shooting a steel dueling tree and having the .45 knock the plates around no problem and the 9mm rarely knock a plate all the way around my mind was set. I still would not feel outgunned if I had a 9mm though just prefer the .45.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #4

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

You’re right, arguing about which caliber is better is silly. Arguing about whether to have caliber arguments is much better.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 546 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheFree7 View Post
It's all about shot placement. But I still prefer the knockdown power and bigger diameter of the .45. After shooting a steel dueling tree and having the .45 knock the plates around no problem and the 9mm rarely knock a plate all the way around my mind was set. I still would not feel outgunned if I had a 9mm though just prefer the .45.
That is handy to know the next time a steel plate is shooting at me. There's not enough energy in the popular hand gun ammo calibers to make any difference when it comes to stopping somebody. As long as it penetrates deep enough it can be effective.

Last edited by manta; 08-26-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
You’re right, arguing about which caliber is better is silly. Arguing about whether to have caliber arguments is much better.
Haha, I thought so ...Like I said, I was bored and just posting thoughts as a way to waste time on a boring night off.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 08-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta

That is handy to know the next time a steel plate is shooting at me. There's not enough energy in the popular hand gun ammo calibers to make any difference when it comes to stopping somebody. As long as it penetrates deep enough it can be effective.
If it doesn't then why are the Marines switching back to the .45? ;-) I reference the stopping power because if a gun fight no one knows how they will perform in that type of stress so I guarantee if you were shooting at someone and hit them in the thigh a .45 will have a greater chance of making them fall to the ground compared to a 9mm. I'm not saying they won't fall but the .45 packs more punch.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #8

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Caliber arguments are fun!
Although I'd argue capacity over caliber.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:01 PM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

38 357 9 40 45, they are all similar,i carry what i have, it happens to be 357 mag. I noticed that shooting my 357 and shooting a 1911 45 side by side felt very much the same to me, and not very noticably different then a 9. i was surprised, (both guns were of service size/weight), and i shot em both accurately. So i would feel safe with either. Its pointless to argue over capacity or caliber in general, 5 or 6 rounds usually are more than enough, even with 32acp, shot placement is key. And if you dont think a 9 is enouph power, 12 ga 00 buck is even better then 45.

Last edited by phildenton; 08-27-2012 at 03:52 AM.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #10

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I dont put much effort into the caliber arguement, i carry what i like to carry and everyone else can carry what they like to carry. Same thing for capacity,if you want to carry a handgun with a 300rd magazine more power to you. I never feel undergunned with my 8rd magazines

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 08-26-2012 at 04:35 PM.
rjd3282 Likes This