Caliber sizes and Physical Limitations - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Caliber sizes and Physical Limitations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My two cents! The P95 Ruger is the sweetest most accurate Gun I've ever ever shot! It's a little heavy and bulky to carry but damn that gun shoots sweet! Hardly no recoil! The G17 is supposed to be the worlds most popular hand gun, so said the article I was reading! The G19 seems to fit that sweet spot between comfort, accuracy and dependability, while holding the capacity of some of the full size 9's. I also like the M&P Shield, while losing capacity, it's slimmer and a little easier to carry than the Glocks in my opinion! To me. it doesn't make sense to buy a 380, unless you just have to have a micro pistol to fit your needs! 380 ammo is just as high as 9mm! Recoil, in most cases, is going to be same or maybe increased do to the small size and weight. And you almost always lose capacity with 380 pistols, not to mentioned the loss of weight and power vs 9mm round! So I recommend what I have chose to carry, either the G19 or the M&P Shield! P95 excellent range gun and Home watchdog! For around 350 best gun out there for the money!

Old 11-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall
My two cents! The P95 Ruger is the sweetest most accurate Gun I've ever ever shot! It's a little heavy and bulky to carry but damn that gun shoots sweet! Hardly no recoil! The G17 is supposed to be the worlds most popular hand gun, so said the article I was reading! The G19 seems to fit that sweet spot between comfort, accuracy and dependability, while holding the capacity of some of the full size 9's. I also like the M&P Shield, while losing capacity, it's slimmer and a little easier to carry than the Glocks in my opinion! To me. it doesn't make sense to buy a 380, unless you just have to have a micro pistol to fit your needs! 380 ammo is just as high as 9mm! Recoil, in most cases, is going to be same or maybe increased do to the small size and weight. And you almost always lose capacity with 380 pistols, not to mentioned the loss of weight and power vs 9mm round! So I recommend what I have chose to carry, either the G19 or the M&P Shield! P95 excellent range gun and Home watchdog! For around 350 best gun out there for the money!
I think maybe, given the wrist problems the OP has, the Shield would be too much felt recoil. I've never shot one but it is a small, lightweight 9mm, so I can imagine its recoil would feel sharp.

The P95, I believe is a heavy gun, so that might be a good suggestion.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #33
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
I think maybe, given the wrist problems the OP has, the Shield would be too much felt recoil. I've never shot one but it is a small, lightweight 9mm, so I can imagine its recoil would feel sharp. The P95, I believe is a heavy gun, so that might be a good suggestion.
And right now the are running as low as $299 NIB! A little more for two tone or full Stainless. The 92 would be in the same weight class but the barrel is an inch longer.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 11-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #34

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If size is not an issue and recoil is!! Yes, p95 would be excellent.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Willwork4ammo,

After looking through your first post I'm not convinced that all of your problem is related to caliber or firearm weight. I think you are also running into an ergonomics problem. I've fired most of the firearms you list, and most of the ones you are having problems with didn't fit my hand well at all.

Here is what I would do if I was in your shoes. Take a firearm that won't hurt you, and try to make it better using grip tape. Fill in the back of the grip with small pieces until the grip uniformly fits the contact surface of your hand. Next fill in the side of the grip to get rid of any air gaps between the grip and the palm of your hand. You want full and equal contact on all surfaces of your hand to distribute recoil, and you want an equal grip all around to lessen twist.

When you said the Mod 36 felt good, but the LCR was bad I started thinking ergonomics. The grips couldn't be more different, and by comparison the LCR grips are very soft. Even the shape is like night and day. There is something going on besides firearm weight and caliber.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #36

Liked 375 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Well put brother. Not that I don't feel there should be choices either. Many of us know the guy who tells everyone " my gun is the best for you because," and it's something that experienced shooters have a duty to combat. Ex: today at the show(my first in Az., and my first since about 1999), and my wife and I were looking at BU/Hideout guns( about all we could afford aside form our list of Ammo & Other items(2 Ind. medical kits, a few blades, a Bag for the shotguns) and we came across a pair of Taurus PT-22's for 400(for the pair with 3 mags each). As I explained how the tip up barrel is similar to the Beretta's to my Wife, some old gent without a recent shower proceeded to tell me how he did 3 tours in Nam and any handgun less then a .45ACP is worthless, and there was a time I'd have agreed with him( when I was a young officer who wasn't as exposed to combat handgun shooting). My wife asked me after he walked away" why didn't you debate with him like you and the boys do ?" Because he's already stuck in his mindset" I said. Hopefully here folks have an open mind about each other's reasons for what they carry.....

Because he's already stuck in his mindset" I said. Hopefully here folks have an open mind about each other's reasons for what they carry.

What US we are the epitome of open mindedness. We would NEVER think that our way was the best and only way to do it!

Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbrownsr
Because he's already stuck in his mindset" I said. Hopefully here folks have an open mind about each other's reasons for what they carry. What US we are the epitome of open mindedness. We would NEVER think that our way was the best and only way to do it!
Yes! We never have caliber wars! Or carry method wars! Or Glock vs 1911 vs revolvers. Or cop hating wars. Or.....

Wait am I on the right forum?

Old 11-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #38

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

[QUOTE=Doc3402;1427880]Willwork4ammo,

After looking through your first post I'm not convinced that all of your problem is related to caliber or firearm weight. I think you are also running into an ergonomics problem.
QUOTE]

Although I agree that the characteristics of the grip may create an impression of a different recoil, the additional weight of the 36 is probably the biggest factor. In any two guns of the same caliber, the heavier gun will have less recoil, inversely proportionate to it's weight difference. The LCR weigs about 13.5 oz., while the 36 weighs 20.4 oz. That is a proportional weight difference of approx. 50%...which would show a decrease of recoil of the same amount....50%. The additional weight of ammo will of course lower the difference, and the ergonomics of the gun and grip will affect the "perceived" difference.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #39

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 171

I have arthritis in both hands, and while can shoot larger calibers fine, I have a painful time racking the slide on some of the bigger pistols. I shoot and handle PPK sized 380's and my PA-63 9x18 Mak easily. If carrying them in winter, I use Buffalo Bore FNHC ammo, for extreme penetration. In summer, Golden Sabers for more tissue destruction.
A decent sized grip for me, is the most important factor in my shooting comfort.
FEG Collection
SKS Fan

Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

[quote=Missouribound;1429043]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Willwork4ammo,

After looking through your first post I'm not convinced that all of your problem is related to caliber or firearm weight. I think you are also running into an ergonomics problem.
QUOTE]

Although I agree that the characteristics of the grip may create an impression of a different recoil, the additional weight of the 36 is probably the biggest factor. In any two guns of the same caliber, the heavier gun will have less recoil, inversely proportionate to it's weight difference. The LCR weigs about 13.5 oz., while the 36 weighs 20.4 oz. That is a proportional weight difference of approx. 50%...which would show a decrease of recoil of the same amount....50%. The additional weight of ammo will of course lower the difference, and the ergonomics of the gun and grip will affect the "perceived" difference.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm not convinced. Side by side the LCR should have much less perceived recoil simply because of the large rubber grips. The LCR has rubber grips covering the back of the frame. The 36 has bare metal and wood. The LCR should distribute/absorb the recoil well enough to equal any weight advantage the 36 might have. The Taurus 85 he mentioned splits the weight difference at 17 ounces. He said it was kinda tolerable. Again, we have rubber grips that cover the grip frame.

My thought still rests with ergonomics in the form of recoil transference through contact, probably near the base of the thumb. The LCR does, the Taurus does, and the 36 doesn't. The main contact with the 36 would be more to the heel of the hand.

Do you have any idea how much I wish I could see this guy shoot and then point to the painful area? We could figure this one out right then and there.