Caliber sizes and Physical Limitations - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Caliber sizes and Physical Limitations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 285 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was gonna suggest a S&W 591. My wifes cousin has one for sale, its a jframe, it is pretty light but chambered in 22mag. There is absolutely no recoil at all. And 7 rounds of 22mag will mess up anyones day.
forumrunner_20131108_051929.jpg  

Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 AM   #22

Liked 431 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 1590

I am a big believer to get a caliber one can shoot comfortably.
if in your case that is 380 auto thats fine.
Dont force yourself to get anything thats too heavy for you.

I like 38 spc shot out of medium wheelguns , or smallish wheelguns for self defense may also be a good choice for you.

380 Auto BTW is a common police caliber in Europe so it cant be all bad and if its good enough for James Bond ..

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Old 11-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #23
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
I was gonna suggest a S&W 591. My wifes cousin has one for sale, its a jframe, it is pretty light but chambered in 22mag. There is absolutely no recoil at all. And 7 rounds of 22mag will mess up anyones day.
In a 2" barrel the 40 grain 22 maxi mag is less than 100 fps faster than a 40 grain 22 mini mag.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #24

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I don't understand why people must get by with one gun. Unless you live outside the US you can have all the guns you want. One doesn't have to shoot a light pistol that is easy to carry a lot. I don't know how many rounds of practice the OP can stand with a light pistol. If he can shoot two magazines that is enough practice.

The OP can make a needs based choice right now. If he needs range time he can get a full size pistol to have fun at the range. Later on he can pick up a pocket pistol.

Most people that have a lot of guns never said I am going to accumulate X number of guns. They bought nice guns as they could afford them. It's best to pick a gun that does something very well than a gun that is a compromise.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #25

Liked 285 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post

In a 2" barrel the 40 grain 22 maxi mag is less than 100 fps faster than a 40 grain 22 mini mag.
I figured there would have been a bigger difference than 100fps.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #26

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 147

I am not sure how common the Kahr K9 is today but this is the one I have carried for years. It's smaller but is made from all steel construction. The little bit of weight absorbs a lot of the felt recoil from even hot 9mm.

My buddy likens shooting mine to shooting his Bersa .380. I find it pushes into your hand more than "snaps" the wrist when firing.

Caliber sizes and Physical Limitations - Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection

http://www.kahr.com/pistols/kahr-k9.asp

Old 11-10-2013, 01:29 AM   #27

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo View Post
Beretta Nano,and Glock 26.In a .380,the Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P3AT were agonizing,but the S&W Bodyguard was tolerable,the best ones that were very manageable and comfortable to shoot were the Bersa .380,Walther PPK/S,and Beretta 84F.
I also have tried .38SPL revolvers.S&W Chief's Special snubby was the best,the Taurus 85 was kinda tolerable,but a bit painful,but the Ruger LCR,OUCH!
It's always a balance of concealability vs size. But a heavier gun will always have a lesser recoil of a lighter gun of the same caliber. Was the Bodyguard you mentioned the auto .380 or the 38 special? The bodyguard is a lightweight gun, in either caliber. The Bersa and the PPK are so much alike in size and weight and much heavier than the Bodyguard. But keep in mind that the more you practice, the more you will adjust to the recoil of any gun...unless you are shooting magnums in a light gun or the 500 S&W. It's imperative that whatever you get you are comfortable shooting. If a gun hurts you, you won't practice with it...and practice is what is needed for any concealed carry gun.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #28
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i don't get into caliber or magazine debates. simply becasue i believe in shot placement. it trumps caliber and magazine quantity every time. if a person can't hit their intended target, going bigger or more will not solve the problem. many use caliber or quantity to compensate for their lack of accuracy. spray and pray is not a method i would endorse for SD usage.

a hit with a 380 is better than a miss with a 44 mag. each and every day of the week.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:34 AM   #29
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
i don't get into caliber or magazine debates. simply because I believe in shot placement. it trumps caliber and magazine quantity every time. if a person can't hit their intended target, going bigger or more will not solve the problem. many use caliber or quantity to compensate for their lack of accuracy. spray and pray is not a method i would endorse for SD usage. a hit with a 380 is better than a miss with a 44 mag. each and every day of the week.
Well put brother. Not that I don't feel there should be choices either. Many of us know the guy who tells everyone " my gun is the best for you because," and it's something that experienced shooters have a duty to combat. Ex: today at the show(my first in Az., and my first since about 1999), and my wife and I were looking at BU/Hideout guns( about all we could afford aside form our list of Ammo & Other items(2 Ind. medical kits, a few blades, a Bag for the shotguns) and we came across a pair of Taurus PT-22's for 400(for the pair with 3 mags each). As I explained how the tip up barrel is similar to the Beretta's to my Wife, some old gent without a recent shower proceeded to tell me how he did 3 tours in Nam and any handgun less then a .45ACP is worthless, and there was a time I'd have agreed with him( when I was a young officer who wasn't as exposed to combat handgun shooting). My wife asked me after he walked away" why didn't you debate with him like you and the boys do ?" Because he's already stuck in his mindset" I said. Hopefully here folks have an open mind about each other's reasons for what they carry.....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
People Like This 
Old 11-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Well put brother. Not that I don't feel there should be choices either. Many of us know the guy who tells everyone " my gun is the best for you because," and it's something that experienced shooters have a duty to combat. Ex: today at the show(my first in Az., and my first since about 1999), and my wife and I were looking at BU/Hideout guns( about all we could afford aside form our list of Ammo & Other items(2 Ind. medical kits, a few blades, a Bag for the shotguns) and we came across a pair of Taurus PT-22's for 400(for the pair with 3 mags each). As I explained how the tip up barrel is similar to the Beretta's to my Wife, some old gent without a recent shower proceeded to tell me how he did 3 tours in Nam and any handgun less then a .45ACP is worthless, and there was a time I'd have agreed with him( when I was a young officer who wasn't as exposed to combat handgun shooting). My wife asked me after he walked away" why didn't you debate with him like you and the boys do ?" Because he's already stuck in his mindset" I said. Hopefully here folks have an open mind about each other's reasons for what they carry.....
i am of the mindset to use the largest caliber you can shoot accurately. i am a firm believer and proponent of shot placement with whatever caliber you do so choose to have. and i won't say that a 22 is just as effective as 45, but still a 22 can do damage and will do more damage if it hits and a 45 misses.

i have a varied selection of calibers to choose from and personally i choose to learn to shoot all well and accurately. i choose to put confidence in my abilities, rather than a caliber or specific platform.