Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Caliber sizes and Physical Limitations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #11
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2695 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 529

Agree w/JW and others here WILL. I do understand what your dealing with. Because of degenerative Back and Shoulder injuries, I "Stepped Down" from 45 to 9MM. My wife has terrible Carpal Tunnel & very bad Arthritis and has trouble with most Autos. I saw someone mention the LC380. Both of us have shot this gun and found it reasonable to handle. Any larger gun that will eat up recoil is going to be harder to carry concealed except in winter clothes. ( I did once put a pump action 22 under my winter coat back east to "Discourage" a young man trying to steal the mirrors off my Wife's Pontiac)...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

a 9mm 1911 has almost no recoil...

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
a 9mm 1911 has almost no recoil...
Yup,..that's why I want a few...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 11-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2187 Times on 1211 Posts
Likes Given: 280

The heavier the gun the lighter the recoil. Try to find a balance between a gun you can comfortably lift and a recoil that you can handle. It's going to be hard to fit in a CCW package, they're usually on the light side. What you need is the heaviest CCW you can comfortably carry in the smallest caliber you can find. I would check into some heavy compact 9mms. Maybe a 1911, or a glock clone with a bit more weight to it. Be sensible about it though, obviously stay away from anything with bad ergonomics/top heavy etc.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-01-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #15

Liked 125 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Will, several years ago I broke my right wrist on a fall to the ice, after three pins and cast for 6 months was removed I went to a pool donned a snorkel set and a float belt with a glove that enhanced the pull of water, I one handed without kicking lap after lap for 1 1/2 -2 hours a day for 3-5 days a week.
Before the incident I was very strong in hand and wrist ( mercy type contests, NOT arm wrestling) after the incident I was very weak, after 8 Months of laps I was half my former strength, after one year I was back to my normal strength. I also was following my Orthopedic instructions and they were aware of my laps in the pool.
Best of luck to you Will and GET STRONGER!

You have to LIVE, DIE, and PAY TAXES, and pay for what you do between your LIVING and your DYING!

Old 11-01-2013, 06:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
The heavier the gun the lighter the recoil. Try to find a balance between a gun you can comfortably lift and a recoil that you can handle. It's going to be hard to fit in a CCW package, they're usually on the light side. What you need is the heaviest CCW you can comfortably carry in the smallest caliber you can find. I would check into some heavy compact 9mms. Maybe a 1911, or a glock clone with a bit more weight to it. Be sensible about it though, obviously stay away from anything with bad ergonomics/top heavy etc.
And to add to what Delta and Art just said: work that hand out! You don't need to bear a lot of weight on your wrist. You need to make your hand make your wrist do the work.

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.

Old 11-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #17

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

A co-worker was in a similar situation. She could handle her .380 (Walther I believe) without issue, and several full size pistols, but found her newly aquired G19 a bit too snappy for her wrists. We put a Firedragon dual action recoil spring/guide rod (very similar to what the sub compacts use) in it and it made a considerable difference. Before, 1 mag was all she could stand. After the swap, she could shoot several mags and walk away without hurting the rest of the day. Just an option thats out there.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillWork4Ammo View Post
I always see heated debates around the interwebs about what is the best caliber for personal defense.Many answer with larger calibers like .45 ,.357,etc.
But with someone like me,it isn't that easy.I had an accident in my teens and broke both my wrists so even today they still bother me with pain.The one caliber I can comfortably handle in a self defense gun without agonizing pain is a .380.But that of course depends on the gun and the size and weight of the gun.In a 9mm,firing a Glock 17-19 and Beretta 92 FS is very tolerable,but firing a 9mm in say a Kel-Tec PF9,P11,and LC9 is torture.The smallest pocket 9mms I can tolerate for self defense and not during a 100 round range session is the Beretta Nano,and Glock 26.In a .380,the Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P3AT were agonizing,but the S&W Bodyguard was tolerable,the best ones that were very manageable and comfortable to shoot were the Bersa .380,Walther PPK/S,and Beretta 84F.
I also have tried .38SPL revolvers.S&W Chief's Special snubby was the best,the Taurus 85 was kinda tolerable,but a bit painful,but the Ruger LCR,OUCH!
I know there are still many compact and concealable pistols for concealed carry I have yet to try that may be better than ones I have tried.And these were all fired using standard pressure non +P FMJ and JHP ammo.
The last large caliber I fired in a concealable size was a Glock 30 and it almost jumped out of my hands.Even the full framed Glock 21 was not very pleasant to shoot.A friend has told me I should try a 1911 so I may try one as I have never fired a 1911 before,nor am I very familiar with them.
I do work out to try strengthening my wrists,and it does help.
Anyone else physically limited?Any advice would be gladly taken.
It sounds to me like you are the one with the 'experience' here and you should be advising others with similar disabilities.
I have had this come up in my class a lot as I teach many women, some elderly. You already nailed it when you said you have tried several guns and know which ones will work for you. You can't do much more than that.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-08-2013, 12:48 AM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1646 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 527

I am stuck with weight limitations on what I can carry (30 oz max) on my belt and not have my back giving me trouble. Anything heavier and I have to wear heavy suspenders or a shoulder rig. I have several hand guns that are just under 30 oz in 9mm or 357/38spl. I mostly carry a Sig P238 380. Light and compact enough for pocket carry but it does not beat you to death like a P3AT or LCP both of which I no longer own. Better than the Bodyguard too. It is very easy to shoot and very accurate. If you want a 9mm, look at the Sig P938 or the S&W Shield. If you want a revolver, look at the Ruger SP101. The 2.2" weighs in at 27-28 oz loaded and is very mild with 38+P.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 AM   #20
PRM

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default No Other Reason Than I Just Like Em...

I've got larger calibers and have no problem with shooting them. And, there are days on the farm when I will have either a Colt SAA .45 or .44 Special on me. But the one gun that always goes in my pocket regardless of anything else is the NAA Black Widow. Carries no harder than a pocket knife and the .22 Magnum is a nice little pocket round. Mine has the .22 LR cylinder also, which is nice for the range ($$$). The Black Widow has the larger Magnum frame in the minis. It also has a two inch heavy barrel, enhanced sights and over sized grips. At 15 yards, I can get 2-3 inch groups with this little gun.

Bigger may be more effective - but the .22 Magnum is always with me :-)

pix124185361.jpg