Caliber / Platform for home defense? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Caliber / Platform for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 06:15 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspike
I think that a high magazine model with a decocker, like the Sig 226 or A Beretta 92FS with a rail and a light would be a good choice for a house weapon. I'd use hollow point HD ammo so you don't shoot people on the other side of walls.
I have thought about the Beretta Storm to fill this role.

Always have clean socks.

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 08-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #42

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

Well this is simple;
Caliber: 12 gauge
Platform: pump.
That was easy........

Old 08-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #43

Liked 314 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
Ok guys, this is a serious question. Not a tongue-in-cheek thread.

When we buy our house, sometime in the next year or so, my plan is to place a wall safe inside certain rooms strategically inside the house. Each wall safe would have a handgun, extra ammo, magazines/speed loaders, a flashlight, and maybe some other small things for emergency or home-invasion, last ditch-effort, type situations.

I am trying to decide what the best caliber for inside the safes will be. Yes, I will have a shotgun for inside the bedroom. I'm talking about a handgun in a safe, just in case I don't have time to get into the bedroom from my living room, for example.

I want something which doesn't have much threat of over-penetrating with self-defense ammo loaded. Also, muzzle flash is a consideration. Bear in mind I'll be living in Kalifornia for at least a few more years, so I want to get as much as I can out of the 10 round limit. I'm thinking honestly at this point either a .45 ACP or a .44 Magnum loaded with .44 Specials.

I know some people would say "whatever you shoot the best," "any caliber is fine if you're comfortable with it," etc. I don't want to hear that garbage. I can learn to shoot any caliber and so can my wife. Neither one of us is particularly recoil shy. We will train accordingly with whatever platform and caliber we choose.

Also, these guns inside the safes will not be shot terribly often. We will establish proficiency on the handgun, and will maintain proficiency on the handgun. I'm not even sure safe queens are the proper term here, because at least with safe queens you are usually proud of it. Pride in the firearms isn't an issue here. I want something I know is going to function when I need it (I'm leaning towards the revolver, for this reason - I don't like the idea of magazines, to be honest).

Am I overlooking anything? Like I said, I'm currently leaning towards a .44 Magnum loaded with Specials. But I don't have any experience yet with .44s. Is there fear of over-penetration and extreme muzzle flash with Specials?

Also, since these weapons aren't going to be my pride-and-joy handguns, I'm not too interested in spending gobs and gobs of money. Enough to get a reliable handgun, absolutely. If that means I HAVE to spend $800 (for example), then so be it. But if a Taurus .44 Magnum is going to function fine for this intended purpose, then I'll get that.

Sorry for the long post. I hope it was clear and I didn't talk in circles too much.
How about the possibility of moving? If where you live is that high risk it must make sense to get out. Plus there is the political upside of people and their $ moving from an area that is not run correctly. Money is not everything. If I need more than 1 loaded weapon around the house, it might be time to pack up and leave. Think big picture. Sometimes, it is better for the family to cut and run!

Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacColt68

How about the possibility of moving? If where you live is that high risk it must make sense to get out. Plus there is the political upside of people and their $ moving from an area that is not run correctly. Money is not everything. If I need more than 1 loaded weapon around the house, it might be time to pack up and leave. Think big picture. Sometimes, it is better for the family to cut and run!
This is a basically hypothetical thread right now. If you notice, in my original post I mentioned something about "when I buy my house next year." I don't yet know where I'm going to be living.

Also, before anyone suggests it, moving out of Kalifornia isn't an option as I'm on military orders here.

I'm not paranoid. But I don't mind spending money on guns and gun related things, within moderation, so having a wall safe or two with a loaded gun inside isn't unreasonable. Sure, I may only need one loaded gun in the house (will prolly never need one, actually), but why risk it? If we're sitting around watching TV one night and some low-life tries to get into my house, I'm not going to want to take the time to run to my bedroom and get the one loaded gun. I wouldn't risk that with my wife and kids here, and prolly not with just myself either.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I don't know why people bother to try to talk people completely out of their plans? I made it clear in my post that this safe thing is what I want to do. So what's the point of coming in here and telling me to move? That's probably the least helpful advice ever.

So is the 12ga shotgun. Clearly that individual didn't read my post, where I said I want these guns to go in a wall safe. Oh I also stated I will have a loaded shotgun in the bedroom.

Sorry for the irritability, but I really hate it when people come in with basically nothing constructive to say.

I asked for advice on a handgun for inside a safe. Not on a shotgun. Not on whether or not I should move to a different area.

Thanks.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #46

I wasn't trying to be unhelpful. I was trying to offer up a different point of view. I completely missed your military commitment and lack of flexibility. I moved about 3,000 miles, blind just to get out of CA. So, I am willing to offer up completely wacky ideas. Do what you have to do, a d be safe. if I had to economically load several safes around my house I'd either have a few 12 awg shotguns or 357 revolvers I found reasonably priced used. The exact style and caliber wouldn't be that critical if I haf thwt many options around the house. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:45 AM   #47

Phone and beer typing free of charge!

Old 08-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #48

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

With everything you have laid out as your desire I don't know what will fill them all. I mean, most all pistols muzzle flash is going to be an issue. I thought about the 45LC/410 option as there are revolvers that use them but a shorter bbl revo wit ha 410 round is going to light up the room more than a pistol in a regular pistol caliber. calibers form 9mm up will easily go through walls but there are rounds. I've recently been looking at this stuff from a company called liberty ammo. I was given a Sig 938 (9mm) a while back and it come with a box of this ammo. It's a really light slug (50 gr) that gets a advertised 2000 fp/s The thing about the ammo is it's supposed to fly apart upon impact with contact with human targets. On paper it seems a great round for home defense. But I have no first hand knowledge. I've fired some to see how to worked in a couple pistols and it cycled fine and was accurate. They make a few different calibers and types. Supposed to be pre-fragmented (?) I made a thread asking about to a while back that had some vids that I looked up and asking opinions and any first hand knowledge about it. I didn't get much info from other members but the vids might help you. (Link to the Liberty thread)

I'm a huge 1911 fan so it's easy to say go that way. I love the 45ACP round but just because it's slower does not mean it stops any quicker. It's a bigger round so like a truck once it's going slowing to down might not be too easy and over penetration. You can get more speed out of a lighter 45 ACP slug and maybe its lighter weight will help to not over penetrate. But I have some 185's that I loaded for target ammo a while back and they can dig in pretty deep to the trees. But they where not HP slugs, they where flat point. That will make a difference.

As to what gun..Well..That can go 100 ways. I don't know that I can get behind the safe idea for access reasons when needed but it's your plan so I'll try and stay on point as best I can. I would think you will want a handgun that can be reliable without you needing a lot of maintenance on it. I know I am not near as goo about cleaning safe queens as I am ones I get out or often. That being said many will advise any of the plethora of striker fired pistols out there. I don't like striker fired guns so I'd probably lean more to a revolver or one of the P series Sigs (like a 226, 220, 229) for a semi auto. There are literally tons of revolvers that would fit this situation. I really liek the 38spl round for close up SD but I usually lean to a 357 then I have more ammo options. But a 38+p to me would fit the bill. I can't remember any capacity criteria you might have said so forgive my laziness for not looking back.

So, if it was my new house that I wanted to put wall safes in I'd more than likely get a few Sigs and load em up. I do think a 1911 would work great as well. But if a 1911 was not the way you wanted to go and still wanted an semi auto the Sigs are a fantastic choice.
Revolver....? J frame Smith or something comparable chambered in 357 with a 4" bbl. You have all kinds of ammo choices and they can and well get the job done while being very easy to operate. A little time wit ha speed loader and the capacity argument is moot. And both men and women have no issue operating a revolver. But some women do have an issue with semi slides being hard to work.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
With everything you have laid out as your desire I don't know what will fill them all. I mean, most all pistols muzzle flash is going to be an issue. I thought about the 45LC/410 option as there are revolvers that use them but a shorter bbl revo wit ha 410 round is going to light up the room more than a pistol in a regular pistol caliber. calibers form 9mm up will easily go through walls but there are rounds. I've recently been looking at this stuff from a company called liberty ammo. I was given a Sig 938 (9mm) a while back and it come with a box of this ammo. It's a really light slug (50 gr) that gets a advertised 2000 fp/s The thing about the ammo is it's supposed to fly apart upon impact with contact with human targets. On paper it seems a great round for home defense. But I have no first hand knowledge. I've fired some to see how to worked in a couple pistols and it cycled fine and was accurate. They make a few different calibers and types. Supposed to be pre-fragmented (?) I made a thread asking about to a while back that had some vids that I looked up and asking opinions and any first hand knowledge about it. I didn't get much info from other members but the vids might help you. (Link to the Liberty thread)

I'm a huge 1911 fan so it's easy to say go that way. I love the 45ACP round but just because it's slower does not mean it stops any quicker. It's a bigger round so like a truck once it's going slowing to down might not be too easy and over penetration. You can get more speed out of a lighter 45 ACP slug and maybe its lighter weight will help to not over penetrate. But I have some 185's that I loaded for target ammo a while back and they can dig in pretty deep to the trees. But they where not HP slugs, they where flat point. That will make a difference.

As to what gun..Well..That can go 100 ways. I don't know that I can get behind the safe idea for access reasons when needed but it's your plan so I'll try and stay on point as best I can. I would think you will want a handgun that can be reliable without you needing a lot of maintenance on it. I know I am not near as goo about cleaning safe queens as I am ones I get out or often. That being said many will advise any of the plethora of striker fired pistols out there. I don't like striker fired guns so I'd probably lean more to a revolver or one of the P series Sigs (like a 226, 220, 229) for a semi auto. There are literally tons of revolvers that would fit this situation. I really liek the 38spl round for close up SD but I usually lean to a 357 then I have more ammo options. But a 38+p to me would fit the bill. I can't remember any capacity criteria you might have said so forgive my laziness for not looking back.

So, if it was my new house that I wanted to put wall safes in I'd more than likely get a few Sigs and load em up. I do think a 1911 would work great as well. But if a 1911 was not the way you wanted to go and still wanted an semi auto the Sigs are a fantastic choice.
Revolver....? J frame Smith or something comparable chambered in 357 with a 4" bbl. You have all kinds of ammo choices and they can and well get the job done while being very easy to operate. A little time wit ha speed loader and the capacity argument is moot. And both men and women have no issue operating a revolver. But some women do have an issue with semi slides being hard to work.
Thanks for the input, Drum. I appreciate it.

I've basically decided to go with an 8 shot .357 Magnum revolver. My wife and I are big fans of wheel guns, and we both shoot our S&W 66 the best out of all of our guns. There are basically two brands that offer 8 shot .357s. S&W, which has about 3-4 revolvers, and Taurus, which has only one. We're gonna be on the lookout and prolly snag up the first 8 shot we find.

In terms of ammo, I haven't decided yet. There are three main ones I'm looking at that seem to have reviews saying they are low flash rounds. Here are links to them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/157230/buffalo-bore-ammunition-357-magnum-short-barrel-125-grain-barnes-tac-xp-jacketed-hollow-point-low-flash-lead-free-box-of-20?cm_vc=wishList

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/240848/hornady-critical-defense-ammunition-357-magnum-125-grain-flex-tip-expanding-box-of-25/?cm_cat=PAN&cm_pla=ProductDesc

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121256/speer-gold-dot-short-barrel-ammunition-357-magnum-135-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-20/?cm_cat=PAN&cm_pla=ProductDesc

I haven't made up my mind on ammo yet. Ideally, I'd like to buy them all and test them in low light situations.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Have you considered a Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump shotgun? You never know when a bear might peek in that Kali window.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.