Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Caliber / Platform for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3565 Times on 2220 Posts
Likes Given: 1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound
What do you own now....or do you own a gun? A few of your posts refer to "first gun". I can see why you don't want to hear "whatever you shoot the best". If you are serious about guns to shoot regularly, not just for protection at home you will have several guns, each will be different and you will like each of them for different reasons. This isn't about to happen overnight since your preferences may change over time. And as far as locking a gun up for the SHTF circumstance....not sure if I agree with that. I have guns in a few places in my home, but when I go to the range, I shoot them as well. Any gun that may save my life someday won't sit in a safe unused. Practice, practice, practice. No matter how good you are or think you are, you can always get better. My home defense guns?...9mm, 38 super,.22 auto, .357, .380 and of course, the obligitory shotgun(s). And everyone of them gets practiced on. I certainly can hit a bullseye with my handguns...but until I can put an entire magazine or cylinder through the same hole, I'm still in need of practice.
I think you misunderstood. Or I wasn't clear. I'm not new to guns. When I'm referring to the "first gun" I'm talking about the first of this series of guns specifically for safes.

For what it's worth, here's is my current collection. It's small, but growing: S&W M&P9c, M&P9 full sized, S&W 66-2 (.357 Mag), Taurus PT140 Millennium (.40 S&W), Bersa Thunder .22, Spanish Mauser in .308, Winchester 30-30, Ruger 10-22, and a bolt action .22 that is prolly 60 years old.

My wife and I train and practice with all of them as often as we have ammo and can get a babysitter. Which usually means we're at the range twice per month.

Oh and I reload for 9mm, .40, and .357/.38.

The safe guns will be shot. I suppose I wasn't clear about that either. I will always maintain proficiency in all my guns. I don't believe in safe queens or not shooting my firearms, unless I were to buy something that isn't safe to fire, for the historical value.

I don't really consider the safe guns for a SHTF situation. I'm not a prepper and prolly will never be one. I'm talking about a wall safe in my living room and maybe one or two other rooms in the house, in case I'm sitting there watching TV and the wrong person tries to come into my house.

I don't think it's terribly outlandish. I currently live in a sort of military housing area and there have been a series of break-ins lately, in the middle of the day.

The safes idea is for when we move and buy our own house. I don't know what kinda of area we will be in. Quite frankly I don't care. I want to feel secure in my own house without having to carry a gun on my hip. That is uncomfortable and for when I am outside of the home. I also want guns within easy reach for my wife, and when they are much older, my kids, for when I'm not home.

I'm sure some people will disagree. That's fine. I'm not new to guns, am an active duty Marine, and have been shooting as long as I can remember. I have put quite a bit of thought into this and my wife and I agree on this approach for home security.

And by the way, we have four dogs and will have a home security system at our new house. IMO that's really only helpful for when we aren't in the house.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 08-08-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #32

In case anyone is interested, here's an update on my thought process for this situation.

Since I am already very familiar with the .357 Magnum, and I reload for it, I've basically decided to get some .357 wheel guns for in these future safes.

Right now I'm actually leaning towards the Taurus 608, which is an 8 shot 357 Magnum. Taurus and S&W are the only two companies which produce 8 shot .357 Magnum revolvers. I love my S&W 66-2, but I don't think I would want to spend the money on a couple Smiths to be primarily a safe gun with limited use. The most expensive Taurus 608s are prolly half the cost of the least expensive S&W 327 or 627s.

I generally don't like Taurus, but they offer a lifetime of the gun warranty so if something goes wrong I can get it fixed. I think for the purpose I have described above this is a perfect platform (for me).

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #33

Liked 155 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
In case anyone is interested, here's an update on my thought process for this situation.

Since I am already very familiar with the .357 Magnum, and I reload for it, I've basically decided to get some .357 wheel guns for in these future safes.

Right now I'm actually leaning towards the Taurus 608, which is an 8 shot 357 Magnum. Taurus and S&W are the only two companies which produce 8 shot .357 Magnum revolvers. I love my S&W 66-2, but I don't think I would want to spend the money on a couple Smiths to be primarily a safe gun with limited use. The most expensive Taurus 608s are prolly half the cost of the least expensive S&W 327 or 627s.

I generally don't like Taurus, but they offer a lifetime of the gun warranty so if something goes wrong I can get it fixed. I think for the purpose I have described above this is a perfect platform (for me).
Good luck, keep em clean and they will work just fine!

Old 08-20-2013, 02:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper

Good luck, keep em clean and they will work just fine!
Thanks! I plan on it, I clean my guns often.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #35

Liked 1236 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Ok guys, this is a serious question. Not a tongue-in-cheek thread.

When we buy our house, sometime in the next year or so, my plan is to place a wall safe inside certain rooms strategically inside the house. Each wall safe would have a handgun, extra ammo, magazines/speed loaders, a flashlight, and maybe some other small things for emergency or home-invasion, last ditch-effort, type situations.

I am trying to decide what the best caliber for inside the safes will be. Yes, I will have a shotgun for inside the bedroom. I'm talking about a handgun in a safe, just in case I don't have time to get into the bedroom from my living room, for example.

I want something which doesn't have much threat of over-penetrating with self-defense ammo loaded. Also, muzzle flash is a consideration. Bear in mind I'll be living in Kalifornia for at least a few more years, so I want to get as much as I can out of the 10 round limit. I'm thinking honestly at this point either a .45 ACP or a .44 Magnum loaded with .44 Specials.

I know some people would say "whatever you shoot the best," "any caliber is fine if you're comfortable with it," etc. I don't want to hear that garbage. I can learn to shoot any caliber and so can my wife. Neither one of us is particularly recoil shy. We will train accordingly with whatever platform and caliber we choose.

Also, these guns inside the safes will not be shot terribly often. We will establish proficiency on the handgun, and will maintain proficiency on the handgun. I'm not even sure safe queens are the proper term here, because at least with safe queens you are usually proud of it. Pride in the firearms isn't an issue here. I want something I know is going to function when I need it (I'm leaning towards the revolver, for this reason - I don't like the idea of magazines, to be honest).

Am I overlooking anything? Like I said, I'm currently leaning towards a .44 Magnum loaded with Specials. But I don't have any experience yet with .44s. Is there fear of over-penetration and extreme muzzle flash with Specials?

Also, since these weapons aren't going to be my pride-and-joy handguns, I'm not too interested in spending gobs and gobs of money. Enough to get a reliable handgun, absolutely. If that means I HAVE to spend $800 (for example), then so be it. But if a Taurus .44 Magnum is going to function fine for this intended purpose, then I'll get that.

Sorry for the long post. I hope it was clear and I didn't talk in circles too much.
I am happy for if you have the resources to do as you describe above, most of us do not.
Why get 44's???? Just get whatever you can shoot most accurately in a 9mm, 357, 40 S&W, or 45 acp, and load them with the best SD ammo. (For all realistic intent they are ballistically equal when applied to a human target)
Hit probability is the MOST important consideration.
Secondly, use only one platform for all of your 'safes' that way you only need to 'train' on one weapon.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 08-24-2013, 02:16 PM   #36

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Certainly there is nothing wrong with your plan, just seems like more cost than needed to me (and I have a good connection for handgun safes )

Why not keep a HD gun in a quick access safe in the bedroom (I know you have a shotgun too) which would probably be the place you would need it, especially in the middle of the night. Carry or pocket carry when awake. Pocket carry while not an ideal caliber, is comfortable and your gun is always available. Odds are probably much better that you will need your HD gun in the middle of the night rather than when you are awake and in more control of things happening around you.

I have two handguns that I know will work every time based on my experience with them. My G17 HD gun and my G26 CCW. I would prefer to have a defense gun that I shoot a bunch instead of one that is basically stored. My P3AT that I ALWAYS pocket carry has been 100% but I don't have that many rounds through it. It's really just a BUG or when deep concealment is wanted.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Last edited by FAS1; 08-24-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1
Certainly there is nothing wrong with your plan, just seems like more cost than needed to me (and I have a good connection for handgun safes )

Why not keep a HD gun in a quick access safe in the bedroom (I know you have a shotgun too) which would probably be the place you would need it, especially in the middle of the night. Carry or pocket carry when awake. Pocket carry while not an ideal caliber, is comfortable and your gun is always available. Odds are probably much better that you will need your HD gun in the middle of the night rather than when you are awake and in more control of things happening around you.

I have two handguns that I know will work every time based on my experience with them. My G17 HD gun and my G26 CCW. I would prefer to have a defense gun that I shoot a bunch instead of one that is basically stored. My P3AT that I ALWAYS pocket carry has been 100% but I don't have that many rounds through it. It's really just a BUG or when deep concealment is wanted.
Carrying a gun in the house is certainly something I've considered. Basically my reasoning for not is my family. My wife will have her CCW permit as well, that's true. But right now she's saying her preferred method of carry will be in the purse. Don't get me started on that. It's an argument I've had a few times before.

Basically she's not going to have her purse on her body in the house, though. Hence the reason for the wall safe(s). We may only need one, depending on the layout of our future house. If that's the case, all the better.

I agree that more than likely IF something happens, it will be in the dead of night while we're sleeping. But as CCWers we prepare for the unlikely, right? So what if we're sitting in the living room at nine o'clock at night and someone tries to get in? That's why I want a wall safe.

I won't always be home, so me having my gun on my body while I'm there is all fine and well, but it won't always be the case. I might work late some nights, or go on a deployment, etc.

We also already have a bedside gun safe. And the shotgun thing is something we're working on. Right now all I have is a pump action 20ga. I'll be getting more in the future.

Thanks for the input.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #38

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I think that a high magazine model with a decocker, like the Sig 226 or A Beretta 92FS with a rail and a light would be a good choice for a house weapon. I'd use hollow point HD ammo so you don't shoot people on the other side of walls.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #39

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357

Carrying a gun in the house is certainly something I've considered. Basically my reasoning for not is my family. My wife will have her CCW permit as well, that's true. But right now she's saying her preferred method of carry will be in the purse. Don't get me started on that. It's an argument I've had a few times before.

Basically she's not going to have her purse on her body in the house, though. Hence the reason for the wall safe(s). We may only need one, depending on the layout of our future house. If that's the case, all the better.

I agree that more than likely IF something happens, it will be in the dead of night while we're sleeping. But as CCWers we prepare for the unlikely, right? So what if we're sitting in the living room at nine o'clock at night and someone tries to get in? That's why I want a wall safe.

I won't always be home, so me having my gun on my body while I'm there is all fine and well, but it won't always be the case. I might work late some nights, or go on a deployment, etc.

We also already have a bedside gun safe. And the shotgun thing is something we're working on. Right now all I have is a pump action 20ga. I'll be getting more in the future.

Thanks for the input.
All valid points. You might try to get her to look at some ways other women are deciding to carry like The Cornered Cat or The Well Armed Woman to see some of the unique ways women are now carrying with holsters made with them in mind. Again, the wall safe is good, but on body carry is better in my opinion even if just a .380. The purse or the wall, you still need to go and get your gun. That way when sitting on the couch at 9 pm you just grab your gun from your holster or pocket. If you need to be moving quickly your gun can be drawn while on the move instead of needing to move to a preset location to get the next nearest gun. I think a wall safe would be a good part of the overall plan even when carrying at home. Good conversation and good to hear you wife is taking her personal security serious.

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 08-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS1

All valid points. You might try to get her to look at some ways other women are deciding to carry like The Cornered Cat or The Well Armed Woman to see some of the unique ways women are now carrying with holsters made with them in mind. Again, the wall safe is good, but on body carry is better in my opinion even if just a .380. The purse or the wall, you still need to go and get your gun. That way when sitting on the couch at 9 pm you just grab your gun from your holster or pocket. If you need to be moving quickly your gun can be drawn while on the move instead of needing to move to a preset location to get the next nearest gun. I think a wall safe would be a good part of the overall plan even when carrying at home. Good conversation and good to hear you wife is taking her personal security serious.
Yeah, when it gets closer to us trying to get our permits, I will be asking her to go to those sites.

I agree with having it on my body. Sometimes I do carry my gun on me in my house. More often lately actually. But like I said, I'm not always there (or, quite frankly, don't always want to be uncomfortable - but anytime I leave my house when I have my permit, I'll be armed).

Always have clean socks.