Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Caliber / Platform for home defense?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper

Actually the 357 loaded with 38 specials would be less powerful. I would second the sr45.
Yeah, I've considered going the .38 Special route also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88

Here is why .45 ACP is the best choice for you..

1. You live in California (me too) and you can only have a 10 round magazine so you might as well have a larger round.

2. A .45 has quite a bit less penetration (than 9mm, .40, 10mm and .44 magnum/special) and although it will still penetrate through all the walls in your house, use hollow points and penetration will be drastically reduced.

3. .45 ACP ammo is plentiful (at least where I'm at in nor cal) even during the ammo shortages.

That's really about it.

I'd like to say that I'm doing almost the EXACT same thing you're doing...
I keep a Mossberg 590A1 right next to my bed and I have various .45 caliber pistols in different rooms throughout the house (loaded w/ an extra mag) just in case...I don't have kids in the house so I feel comfortable doing this.

Of course I have rifles in case the SHTF, but you can't beat a 12 gauge and a few pistols scattered (and hidden yet easily accessible) throughout the house.

Sorry for the lengthy response but I hope this helps.
Those reasons (except for the plentiful part - its not for me at the moment) are the main reasons why .45 ACP is among my top choices.

I'm still leaning towards the wheel gun idea, though. I really don't like being dependent on magazines.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5102 Times on 2652 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I agree. It seems to be a fine line, though. Over penetration, vs under penetration. The human body is only so wide, chest to back. I know the FBI's minimum penetration standard is 12 inches, right? That seems like too much to me. I'm sure they know better than I do, though.

Way do you think of .44 Special vs .45 ACP for the purposes in this thread (SD ammo, of course).
That 12 inches is ideal conditions with a goblin just standing there in a tshirt facing you.

As nice a target as that is, it isnt reality. Reality is a goblin fighting you shooting at you his side turned to you an object in the way or his arms in front of the chest.

All of a sudden that twelve inches isnt much at all.

I dont buy into that overpenetration is bad myth.

My home defense ar15 is loaded with ss109 or when my scar17 is out its using 150grain amax from hornady. My shotguns use buckshot and handguns use either 230grain hollow points or 115 grain hollowpoints.

I choose effective rounds that are proven to work.

If i was doing what your doing i would use springfield xdm in 45acp.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #23

Ever thought of a Taurus judge or sw governor. Both shoot. 410 and 45lc. They are revolvers and are good at home defences. Just a thought otherwise I would go the. 357 route and have the option to use. 38sp. Many of good revolver for this purpose. I have a sw 642 airweight. Great little gun. Takes. 38 and. 38+p

Old 08-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybor_2099
Ever thought of a Taurus judge or sw governor. Both shoot. 410 and 45lc. They are revolvers and are good at home defences. Just a thought otherwise I would go the. 357 route and have the option to use. 38sp. Many of good revolver for this purpose. I have a sw 642 airweight. Great little gun. Takes. 38 and. 38+p
I've thought about it. But I just don't like the concept that much. Or the math. Here's an example.

A 3" 000 buckshot load of .410 has 5 pellets inside. Unless I'm mistaken, the pellets are .36" in diameter. 9mm bullets are .355" approximately in diameter. So with a 3" .410 I'm essentially shooting 5 shots at one time of 9mm. Accuracy isn't guaranteed, and neither is all 5 pellets connecting with the bad guy. Recoil is going to be sharper than a full sized 9mm handgun. The Judge has a 5 shot capacity. So in a way it's kinda like shooting 25 rounds of 9mm in only 5 shots. I guess from that perspective it would be ok, if accuracy was guaranteed. But it's not. Some, or maybe a lot of them depending on the distance, aren't even going to connect with the bad guy. Also, those pellets aren't hollow point. I'd rather shoot a full sized 9mm with a 10 round magazine loaded with hollow points.

Just not my cup of tea. It would be more a novelty gun.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:40 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

I've thought about it. But I just don't like the concept that much. Or the math. Here's an example.

A 3" 000 buckshot load of .410 has 5 pellets inside. Unless I'm mistaken, the pellets are .36" in diameter. 9mm bullets are .355" approximately in diameter. So with a 3" .410 I'm essentially shooting 5 shots at one time of 9mm. Accuracy isn't guaranteed, and neither is all 5 pellets connecting with the bad guy. Recoil is going to be sharper than a full sized 9mm handgun. The Judge has a 5 shot capacity. So in a way it's kinda like shooting 25 rounds of 9mm in only 5 shots. I guess from that perspective it would be ok, if accuracy was guaranteed. But it's not. Some, or maybe a lot of them depending on the distance, aren't even going to connect with the bad guy. Also, those pellets aren't hollow point. I'd rather shoot a full sized 9mm with a 10 round magazine loaded with hollow points.

Just not my cup of tea. It would be more a novelty gun.
Agreed. Just thought I would throw it out there. I prefer something I know will hit. Not may hit where I pointed it also.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #26

Liked 206 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Ever notice how so many have such a different view of home defense firearms?? So many choices . Let this ole boy root around on his own and with the info he has to this point he'll figure out whats right for him.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #27

Liked 192 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 36

So, lets say you are going to plant guns and safes in say a 2nd/3rd bedroom, the bathroom and maybe the garage. You don't need or want top dollar guns; you won't be polishing these weekly and handing them down as heirlooms. You just want something that will plain shoot. I would go with the 38 specials as well. I'm not a big revolver guy, but 4 or 5 Taurus or Brand X 38's will be a heck of a lot cheaper than 4 or 5 1911s or SR 45s, and you won't fret as much when the LEO confiscates it after the B&E. When you weigh the possibilities of a malfunction on a 38 snubbie vs any semi auto it seems like a no brainer. Flat black no frills and if there is such a term, a "throw away gun."

Old 08-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'd like to thank everyone for their responses and advice.

I'm basically no closer to making my decision. I'm still leaning towards revolvers. Could be in .38 Special / .357 Mag / .44 Special / .44 Mag. Who knows... I'm gonna keep doing research over the next couple months.

Honestly a lot of it will have to do with price, I bet. I kinda wanna stay clear of Taurus revolvers, though... Have just heard some horrifying things about their trigger pulls. And I dunno if I wanna put a trigger job in a cheap gun whose primary purpose is being in a safe.

Anyway, a good semi is still an option. Still thinking a .45 ACP. Maybe a Beretta PX4 Storm, a 1911 of some sort, an XD, a CZ 97B.. Etc.

*sigh* so many things to consider...

Honestly what'll prolly end up happening is when I'm actually shopping for the first gun, I'll pick whichever one feels best in mine and my wife's hands, and has a good price point. And if I go with that one, I'll try and acquire more of the same thing, whenever I get the subsequent safes.

Thanks again for the help, friends.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #29

Liked 264 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 49

What do you own now....or do you own a gun? A few of your posts refer to "first gun". I can see why you don't want to hear "whatever you shoot the best". If you are serious about guns to shoot regularly, not just for protection at home you will have several guns, each will be different and you will like each of them for different reasons. This isn't about to happen overnight since your preferences may change over time. And as far as locking a gun up for the SHTF circumstance....not sure if I agree with that. I have guns in a few places in my home, but when I go to the range, I shoot them as well. Any gun that may save my life someday won't sit in a safe unused. Practice, practice, practice. No matter how good you are or think you are, you can always get better. My home defense guns?...9mm, 38 super,.22 auto, .357, .380 and of course, the obligitory shotgun(s). And everyone of them gets practiced on. I certainly can hit a bullseye with my handguns...but until I can put an entire magazine or cylinder through the same hole, I'm still in need of practice.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #30

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357
Ok guys, this is a serious question. Not a tongue-in-cheek thread.

When we buy our house, sometime in the next year or so, my plan is to place a wall safe inside certain rooms strategically inside the house. Each wall safe would have a handgun, extra ammo, magazines/speed loaders, a flashlight, and maybe some other small things for emergency or home-invasion, last ditch-effort, type situations.

I am trying to decide what the best caliber for inside the safes will be. Yes, I will have a shotgun for inside the bedroom. I'm talking about a handgun in a safe, just in case I don't have time to get into the bedroom from my living room, for example.

I want something which doesn't have much threat of over-penetrating with self-defense ammo loaded. Also, muzzle flash is a consideration. Bear in mind I'll be living in Kalifornia for at least a few more years, so I want to get as much as I can out of the 10 round limit. I'm thinking honestly at this point either a .45 ACP or a .44 Magnum loaded with .44 Specials.

I know some people would say "whatever you shoot the best," "any caliber is fine if you're comfortable with it," etc. I don't want to hear that garbage. I can learn to shoot any caliber and so can my wife. Neither one of us is particularly recoil shy. We will train accordingly with whatever platform and caliber we choose.

Also, these guns inside the safes will not be shot terribly often. We will establish proficiency on the handgun, and will maintain proficiency on the handgun. I'm not even sure safe queens are the proper term here, because at least with safe queens you are usually proud of it. Pride in the firearms isn't an issue here. I want something I know is going to function when I need it (I'm leaning towards the revolver, for this reason - I don't like the idea of magazines, to be honest).

Am I overlooking anything? Like I said, I'm currently leaning towards a .44 Magnum loaded with Specials. But I don't have any experience yet with .44s. Is there fear of over-penetration and extreme muzzle flash with Specials?

Also, since these weapons aren't going to be my pride-and-joy handguns, I'm not too interested in spending gobs and gobs of money. Enough to get a reliable handgun, absolutely. If that means I HAVE to spend $800 (for example), then so be it. But if a Taurus .44 Magnum is going to function fine for this intended purpose, then I'll get that.

Sorry for the long post. I hope it was clear and I didn't talk in circles too much.
If I had the money your talking about to invest in safes and guns!! The idea of hiring a personal bodyguard comes to mind!! I'm a big believer in HD, but personally this seems a bit over the top for me!! Get a good home alarm system, a nice safe, and sleep beside or near a gun you feel comfortable with defending your home with!! If these measures would not give you the needed security your after, I would find another neighborhood to live in!! But that's just me!! I carry, sleep, and eat with either a glock 26 or 19!! And at times, if I feel spooked or uneasy I am not to proud to carry my gun inside my home!! Just my personal opinion!!