Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Caliber / Platform for home defense? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/caliber-platform-home-defense-95018/)

JW357 08-05-2013 07:16 PM

Caliber / Platform for home defense?

Ok guys, this is a serious question. Not a tongue-in-cheek thread.

When we buy our house, sometime in the next year or so, my plan is to place a wall safe inside certain rooms strategically inside the house. Each wall safe would have a handgun, extra ammo, magazines/speed loaders, a flashlight, and maybe some other small things for emergency or home-invasion, last ditch-effort, type situations.

I am trying to decide what the best caliber for inside the safes will be. Yes, I will have a shotgun for inside the bedroom. I'm talking about a handgun in a safe, just in case I don't have time to get into the bedroom from my living room, for example.

I want something which doesn't have much threat of over-penetrating with self-defense ammo loaded. Also, muzzle flash is a consideration. Bear in mind I'll be living in Kalifornia for at least a few more years, so I want to get as much as I can out of the 10 round limit. I'm thinking honestly at this point either a .45 ACP or a .44 Magnum loaded with .44 Specials.

I know some people would say "whatever you shoot the best," "any caliber is fine if you're comfortable with it," etc. I don't want to hear that garbage. I can learn to shoot any caliber and so can my wife. Neither one of us is particularly recoil shy. We will train accordingly with whatever platform and caliber we choose.

Also, these guns inside the safes will not be shot terribly often. We will establish proficiency on the handgun, and will maintain proficiency on the handgun. I'm not even sure safe queens are the proper term here, because at least with safe queens you are usually proud of it. Pride in the firearms isn't an issue here. I want something I know is going to function when I need it (I'm leaning towards the revolver, for this reason - I don't like the idea of magazines, to be honest).

Am I overlooking anything? Like I said, I'm currently leaning towards a .44 Magnum loaded with Specials. But I don't have any experience yet with .44s. Is there fear of over-penetration and extreme muzzle flash with Specials?

Also, since these weapons aren't going to be my pride-and-joy handguns, I'm not too interested in spending gobs and gobs of money. Enough to get a reliable handgun, absolutely. If that means I HAVE to spend $800 (for example), then so be it. But if a Taurus .44 Magnum is going to function fine for this intended purpose, then I'll get that.

Sorry for the long post. I hope it was clear and I didn't talk in circles too much.

hardluk1 08-05-2013 08:36 PM

Buy a 20ga shotgun . Forget the 44 mag. If you got a have pistol then buy a 45acp use federal guard dog ammo as its made for home defense and tends to not go thru to many walls. See what fits your hand and fits your buget. Rent to see how you shoot it and find one to buy . I would still buy the shotgun as a women or child can easily learn how to use it well.

JW357 08-05-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1
Buy a 20ga shotgun . Forget the 44 mag. If you got a have pistol then buy a 45acp use federal guard dog ammo as its made for home defense and tends to not go thru to many walls. See what fits your hand and fits your buget. Rent to see how you shoot it and find one to buy . I would still buy the shotgun as a women or child can easily learn how to use it well.

You must've missed the part where I said I'm gonna have a shotgun in my bedroom.

The handgun(s) is/are for use in a small wall safe.

I'll look into the federal guard dog ammo. Thanks.

180baseball 08-05-2013 11:12 PM

I'd get a 1911, they are reliable, and shoot the .45 Acp. Also, check out some of Hornady's hd rounds

Rick1967 08-05-2013 11:24 PM

I keep my carry gun in the night stand most nights. But it is mostly because I don't like a bunch of guns laying around. I have a S&W 629. It is a 4 inch 44 mag. I like a revolver for home defense. When it comes to close quarters I don't want to be concerned about a malfunction. My autos all run great. But a revolver just gives me extra peace of mind. That 44 has spent many a night in my night stand.

When it comes to over-penetration...any ammo is going to go through a wall. You would be better off thinking about indoor tactics than worrying about caliber. When it comes to shooting at someone inside your home you can change the trajectory of your bullet. Drop down to your knees. The round will now be going upward. If you miss the round will be headed up toward the ceiling instead of the level of a bed.

danf_fl 08-05-2013 11:31 PM

One thought is that no matter what you get, get basically the same thing for all places.

A 1911 mag will fit another 1911, a Glock mag should fit the same model Glock.

armsmaster270 08-05-2013 11:37 PM

And Glocks are cheap.

hardluk1 08-06-2013 12:08 AM

Ya with the overload of unneeded info I sure did miss the shotgun. With you looking at basically any ole handgun revolver or pistol so long as it a big caliber and all the you don't want here this or that get to your fav-o-rite gun shop and pick out what your budget can stand as it seems you want a few of them. Maybe a box full of no pride and joy highpoint 45's will do . The price is right and they tend to allways go bang. or with your liking of revolvers go get a box full of charter arms bull dogs. Skip right over the 44mag as your only using 44 sp loads.

Bottom line is only you know what the you want. Go get um.

JW357 08-06-2013 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardluk1
Ya with the overload of unneeded info I sure did miss the shotgun.

Yeah, sorry. I hate to be that guy that posts "what's the best gun for home defense?" So I prefer to post too much info, if it helps people narrow down the choices.

therewolf 08-06-2013 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 180baseball (Post 1327239)
I'd get a 1911, they are reliable, and shoot the .45 Acp. Also, check out some of Hornady's hd rounds

Great stopping power, the round doesn't over penetrate, because it

was designed by JMB for use against attackers.

There are dependable brands in the 500$ range all

day long.