Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > buy with CCW ID

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1125 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

If you find a gun you like in a state other than your home state, and make arrangements with a dealer there and a dealer in your own state to have it properly shipped, are the dealers required to turn in notification to the BATFE documenting the deal, and thereby effectively registering your purchase?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #12

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
If you find a gun you like in a state other than your home state, and make arrangements with a dealer there and a dealer in your own state to have it properly shipped, are the dealers required to turn in notification to the BATFE documenting the deal, and thereby effectively registering your purchase?

I don't think so. If that was happening, every on-line purchase would be registered. But, being very distrustful of THIS government & it's present ATF leadership, I wouldn't put them past doing anything illegal.

It's beginning to come out now that their 'Fast & Furious' gun walking scheme was NOT to identify how guns were getting to drug runners, etc. Was done to intentionally get those weapons out there, then tracked back to the U.S., in order to gain public support for increased gun control. Case in point, recent regs saying that dealers in the 4 states bordering mexico must report multiple sales of semi autos.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #13

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4284

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I was under the impression that the paperwork (4473..(thx c3) form...I think...) stays with the dealer for a certain amount of time, (5-10 years) then destroyed. But, you still never know...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 01-04-2012 at 10:58 PM.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I was under the impression that the paperwork (1174 form...I think...) stays with the dealer for a certain amount of time, (5-10 years) then destroyed. But, you still never know...

I don't think they are destroyed. As far as I know, they are there for as long as the store is in business so the ATF has access to them. If the store goes out of business, they are sent to the state.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #15

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4284

I like the destroyed idea better! Can it be siezed by the ATF for whatever whim of a reason they want? How does that work?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1125 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
I don't think so. If that was happening, every on-line purchase would be registered. But, being very distrustful of THIS government & it's present ATF leadership, I wouldn't put them past doing anything illegal.

It's beginning to come out now that their 'Fast & Furious' gun walking scheme was NOT to identify how guns were getting to drug runners, etc. Was done to intentionally get those weapons out there, then tracked back to the U.S., in order to gain public support for increased gun control. Case in point, recent regs saying that dealers in the 4 states bordering mexico must report multiple sales of semi autos.
OK, thanks. I've never bought that way, and am much opposed to having the feds come to my door with a list of guns they want to take from me.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8329 Times on 3601 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

When you buy a gun from a dealer, or have one shipped to your dealer, there is no way or reason for him to "register" this with the ATF. You complete a form 4473. That form is retained by the dealer in his file for 20 years. At the end of 20, the form may be destroyed by the dealer.

Have you guys ever looked at the number of guns sold each day on GunsAmerica, gunbroker, and auctionarms? Those are shipped from the seller to a receiving dealer in the home state of the buyer.

And Airline, local law does not cover this- it is governed by Federal law- 18 US Code 922.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.