BUG vs Spare Mag
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

BUG vs Spare Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2014, 03:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Default BUG vs Spare Mag

Which for you and why?

I've tried the BUG route, will never repeat. Don't exactly have the room in pockets for a spare mag and won't carry anything on my belt.

Been thinking of trying the ankle again, but this time without an overweight, obnoxious and extremely uncomfortable gun, rather, instead, a magazine or two.

Have also purchased a simple upright pocket mag pouch for use in rear pocket, but think I'll find this too will come to be quite the source of discomfort.

Other options, opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1797 Times on 1011 Posts
Likes Given: 784

I have a Glock 17. That's 18 rounds of 9MM between the magazine and chamber. I don't feel the need to carry more ammo than that. Some days are better than others, but I try take stock of what's going on around me. I made a slew of mistakes if I need that much ammo or more.

If I thought I needed more ammo, chances are probably better than average that I might need another pistol, too. I'd carry a 26 if I thought it would do anything for me, but I think the 17 is adequate.

If it's just yourself that you're trying to protect, I'd say carry another magazine if you feel the need to.

If you're with someone who has some training and can effectively shoot back, but doesn't typically care a pistol with them (like your significant other or children), then another pistol would make more sense.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:56 AM   #3

Liked 307 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I carry a spare mag, most of the time. Mags and ammo are a likely failure point on a semi pistol.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:18 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7323 Times on 3900 Posts
Likes Given: 574

I generally just carry what's in the gun.

One of the reasons I carry a m9 a lot is it holds 20+1... quantity has a quality of its own. Hard to argue with 21 rounds of hornady critical defense before going dry.

If I'm going to milwaukee I will stuff two 20 round mags in a front pocket.

I will still have the lcp in a pocket regardless but i dont carry a spare for it. Its just a total ohsht gun. Last resort in a bad circumstance
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-24-2014, 04:34 AM   #5

Liked 539 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
Which for you and why?

I've tried the BUG route, will never repeat. Don't exactly have the room in pockets for a spare mag and won't carry anything on my belt.

Been thinking of trying the ankle again, but this time without an overweight, obnoxious and extremely uncomfortable gun, rather, instead, a magazine or two.

Have also purchased a simple upright pocket mag pouch for use in rear pocket, but think I'll find this too will come to be quite the source of discomfort.

Other options, opinions?
While in uniform I carried a backup for almost 20 years, but since retiring and older now I gotta think of my comfort as well. I don't always carry a spare mag, but when I do I like the type that fit's horizontally on the belt like one I have from Safariland. I never know it's there and there's no discomfort.

I have used an ankle holster at one time years ago, but once it fell out onto a carpeted stairway at a wedding and I didn't know it until someone tapped me on the shoulder and said to look down. I have a friend who uses one in Vegas where it's hot and he can't stand wearing a belt. He swears by it and can't be talked out of it.

What you carry and how you carry it has to be up to you in the end.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:50 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2299 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 6689

I am more inclined to carry two extra 1911 mags. May not be on me, but usually close at had.

If I were eating in Denny's, I would probably have to deal with 8 rounds.. Sad, but true.

But then again if the masters pouches were on me, that changes things.
File Type: jpg 1911 Mag Pouch.jpg (29.4 KB, 83 views)

Old 06-24-2014, 04:53 AM   #7

Liked 307 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I am more inclined to carry two extra 1911 mags. May not be on me, but usually close at had.

If I were eating in Denny's, I would probably have to deal with 8 rounds.. Sad, but true.

But then again if the masters pouches were on me, that changes things.
Totally OT, but it appears those mags are facing the opposite direction. I was taught bullets forward. What am I missing?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:22 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 2299 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 6689

What is missing is a proper photo of the lower end of the pouches. They allow a portion of the bullet to be visible and available to the touch.

If I have different loads, it's easy to tap the corner and feel that that 1) the mag has a round and 2) what kind of bullet form.

I am not a quick draw or gunfighter. But I do shoot coyotes, moles and other varmints on a regular basis. I do carry anytime I am on my feet. Wife doesn't like the 45 in bed.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4317 Times on 2434 Posts
Likes Given: 2054

Why carry a BUG? Because if the primary should get inop for some reason.
Why carry a spare mag? Because if the primary should get inop for some reason.

The BUG route may not be for everyone, but one should carry at least another magazine.

It has been said "Carry one is to carry none, carry two and you carry one."

Magazines break when least expected. The mag lips can be deformed from the loading / unloading or repeated in / out of the firearm.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4317 Times on 2434 Posts
Likes Given: 2054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
Totally OT, but it appears those mags are facing the opposite direction. I was taught bullets forward. What am I missing?
Bullets forward allows one to use the same grip, and loading procedure without looking at the magazines (think competition).

Some have not been taught that, and magazine carrier manufacturers may not be aware of that.

I always have bullets forward. Even if I have to make my own for the different firearms I use for carry.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)