Bodyguard S&W
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Bodyguard S&W

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Bodyguard S&W

Anyone have any experience with what the life of this pistol is like? I handled and shot one and loved the feel of the pistol, but it felt super light (for obvious reasons). Was curious if anyone had any experience on the round count of these guns before they needed work done or were rendered inoperable?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8870 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

Which Bodyguard? They were first made as an alloy framed .38 Special, later to be called the Model 38, then a steel version, then a different alloy, then a stainless, then a .357, then an alloy .357, etc ad infinitum. I THINK they are up to 687 or something like that.

Great gun to carry, lousy gun to shoot. But if you were working in civvies, it did what it was meant to do- fire 5 rounds reliably with the muzzle tucked between the ribs of some hobgoblin at 0 range.

Lousy gun to shoot- with hot loads, it hurts. Run two boxes of hot ammo thru them, and your hand will probably feel pins & needles. Never met anyone that had the gumption to wear one out. And with wadcutters, would last longer than you.

OTOH, a damned good carry gun. Sorry, realize that is not a specific answer- just never saw one that had been shot out.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 AM   #3

Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Which Bodyguard? They were first made as an alloy framed .38 Special, later to be called the Model 38, then a steel version, then a different alloy, then a stainless, then a .357, then an alloy .357, etc ad infinitum. I THINK they are up to 687 or something like that.

Great gun to carry, lousy gun to shoot. But if you were working in civvies, it did what it was meant to do- fire 5 rounds reliably with the muzzle tucked between the ribs of some hobgoblin at 0 range.

Lousy gun to shoot- with hot loads, it hurts. Run two boxes of hot ammo thru them, and your hand will probably feel pins & needles. Never met anyone that had the gumption to wear one out. And with wadcutters, would last longer than you.

OTOH, a damned good carry gun. Sorry, realize that is not a specific answer- just never saw one that had been shot out.
There is the 380, which is quite fun to shoot. Heavy trigger but plenty accurate at 10 yards.

But, like you, I have no idea which the OP is referring to.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #4

Liked 383 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Pistol or revolver? I've got the Bodyguard 38 and it's a stinker. 100 or so rounds thru it and the slop in the cylinder was so bad timing was an issue. Sent it back to S&W, ran 50 rounds thru it upon return and it loosened up again. It's going back to S&W for a second time. When I get it back, I'm dumping it ASAP.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

In my opinion this is a fine pistol. Great carry weapon. Critics claim that their hands can not withstand 100+ rounds. Well, the Bodyguard .380 is not meant to be a range weapon; it is designed for carry. It is highly accurate in my experience. I love it.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Nun

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Bought the 380 because many reviews about how accurate it was. It is extremely accurate for a pocket pistol. Yes it does have a long trigger but as a pocket gun that's what you want. Don't want to shoot yourself in the @$$ while your trying to pull it out. And it's a Smith.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #7

Liked 246 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 12

To shoot the new Bodyguard revolver accurately, you must correct sight alignment constantly as you press the trigger . Sight alignment is critical with the short sight radius and nothing much to hold onto . It is a good pocket gun because it has revolver reliability . It has no exposed hammer to snag on clothing . The newest ones are part polymer and absorb recoil acceptably . I recommend standard to light loads . The gun is not fun to shoot and is not a gun to use to break up a bank robbery . It is good for pocket carry and as a backup gun .

Small autos can jam because so much happens in so little space . Autos can jam from slide interference if fired from inside a pocket .

Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixfix View Post
There is the 380, which is quite fun to shoot. Heavy trigger but plenty accurate at 10 yards.

But, like you, I have no idea which the OP is referring to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgy View Post
In my opinion this is a fine pistol. Great carry weapon. Critics claim that their hands can not withstand 100+ rounds. Well, the Bodyguard .380 is not meant to be a range weapon; it is designed for carry. It is highly accurate in my experience. I love it.
Fun to shoot? Not a description I would use for the pistol. And I am one of those critics who say that more than 100 rounds is close to torture. The 200 round break-in was a chore I hope not to repeat.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 04-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Apologize guys, meant the .380 auto smith came out with fairly recently.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Was looking to get one for EDC; full size beretta storm .40 is my only other handgun. Gets a bit troublesome at times to carry concealed.